Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

VDB-ed but Full Gate Agent Offer Not Honored - What to do now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VDB-ed but Full Gate Agent Offer Not Honored - What to do now?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm still trying to figure out how revenue management got its nose into this situation. I can't believe that they must approve all international ticket reissues, or even that they were working when this happened. I wonder whether revenue management really did this or it was just a convenient thing to say.
jdrtravel, wrp96 and hi55us like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not risk my future over whether some court determines that a conversation in leased space, e.g. a gate area, is a "private place."

People can argue this stuff all they want. But, the fact remains that the upside is very little, e.g. a D1 seat or a few bucks and the downside is significant.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by spamkiller
You have to watch where you record this, as some states make it a crime to record without consent of all parties. Georgia is a 1 party consent state.
Not in public, that is for private conversations.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Often1
I would not risk my future over whether some court determines that a conversation in leased space, e.g. a gate area, is a "private place."
The airport (unless it is a privately owned airport or facility like Branson Missouri or JFK's T4) is public property and you have the right to record anything you can see from a public space (TSA screens and off limits areas aside).

The gate area is public, if this happened on the aircraft that would be a different story as that is private property.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCP2016
The airport (unless it is a privately owned airport or facility like Branson Missouri or JFK's T4) is public property and you have the right to record anything you can see from a public space (TSA screens and off limits areas aside).

The gate area is public, if this happened on the aircraft that would be a different story as that is private property.
I haven't reviewed the leases against the airport plans. But, will take your word for it for the moment. Before doing any one-party recording, I would want all of what you say documented by a good lawyer.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
UPDATE: Called DM Desk and spoke to an excellent Customer Experience Supervisor, who agreed what happened was outlandish, before taking shower to go to airport.

She said it would take her awhile but she would get it done. Said she would call me back. Took her 30 mins more than quoted (she quoted 30, took 60 mins) but she called a minute after I got the new YOUR FLIGHT RECEIPT EMAIL. Did not ask for, nor was offered, anything for the hours of time I patiently encountered various agents.

I showered praise on her and also wrote in a Twitter compliment.

Hilariously on board now - and 3 Delta One seats show empty on the list, with 4 DMs on the GUC UG list, not 1 cleared.

34 on the C+ list, 2 C+ seats showing empty, again not 1 cleared.

Poor showing by the GAs (and they didn't fill the empty D1 seats with standbys, so no SHENA) in ATL, and I wish DL didn't drop the ball as much as they did, for so long - but I am now focused on happy thoughts and sipping on my PDB of Mionetti prosecco!

A fabulous and safe travel weekend to all! Thank you to everyone for the support, advice, and encouragement!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:36 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Delta gave me The Westin Atlanta Airport. I have stayed there once previously on a DL voucher and received the crappiest room, so I skipped it and booked my own. Don't plan on asking DL for reimbursement.
I would absolutely send this in as well.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
That sounds fishy. If pilots had to be on that pilot then I would think management would have already booked them on it. A positive space employee will have a boarding pass. Not a seat request. Positive space is a confirmed ticket.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm still trying to figure out how revenue management got its nose into this situation. I can't believe that they must approve all international ticket reissues, or even that they were working when this happened. I wonder whether revenue management really did this or it was just a convenient thing to say.
RM probably noticed when the ticket was reissued from Y to J without a fare collection. The RM DOD desk is staffed 24/7. VDB negotiations are flexible, but promising an upgrade to J when more VDB $ could’ve been offered instead was risky/foolish imho
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets

RM probably noticed when the ticket was reissued from Y to J without a fare collection. The RM DOD desk is staffed 24/7. VDB negotiations are flexible, but promising an upgrade to J when more VDB $ could’ve been offered instead was risky/foolish imho
The RM DOD Desk may be the single most customer-unfriendly/hating department within DL.

If their time and efforts really mattered, they would call GAs to clear DM GUCs for flights that are about to depart with 3 empty D1 seats.

Seems a much better use of time than fooling around in VDBs. Sure, the gate could have offered more, but all passengers save for 2 were on board, and they risked giving up an on time departure.

No "desk" can overrule DOT requirements. Given I took a break in the SkyClub, I'm not sure exactly what went down during my first reissue attempt, but happy a later Supervisor was able to properly reissue it.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:30 am
Suspended

DL did the right thing, even though the GA and Red Coat did the wrong thing. DL will likely deal with the Red Coat as a retraining matter.

But, as noted above, RM audits changes which are not supported by policy. While the underlying purpose here was OK, for those who believe that GA's can hand out UG's to their friends, they can't.

Although the theoretical amount DL will pay for VDB is enormous, it has to be supported and my guess is that the Red Coat vastly exceeded her authority. Better for her to have simply said, "I can't do that" and left it at that.
Widgets likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Widgets

From an elite passenger perspective, I agree with you that GAs should offer vouchers/gift cards as compensation for VDBs and not upgrades that otherwise would be given to the next elite on the priority list. It's really a way to push a cost for a mistake by DL onto some random their party customer rather than having the full cost accrue to DL. Zero sum benefits should not be offered as compensation.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:37 am

DL did the right thing, even though the GA and Red Coat did the wrong thing. DL will likely deal with the Red Coat as a retraining matter.

But, as noted above, RM audits changes which are not supported by policy. While the underlying purpose here was OK, for those who believe that GA's can hand out UG's to their friends, they can't.

Although the theoretical amount DL will pay for VDB is enormous, it has to be supported and my guess is that the Red Coat vastly exceeded her authority. Better for her to have simply said, "I can't do that" and left it at that.
It wasn't just the GA and redcoat. They had an airport (concourse?) manager there, who presumably approved the OP's compensation. IIRC GAs can offer up to the IDB maximum,so redcoats should be able to approve more. Maybe neither have the authority to approve a D1 upgrade, but the manager should either be able to do so or should know who can approve it and under what circumstances.

The alternative of offering the OP more than $2000 to fly the following day would apparently have required increasing compensation by the same amount to all of the five other VDBs from the flight, and this would have been expensive too. If the offer was $2000 for a coach seat (on KLM) a couple hours later, a coach ("downgrade from C+") seat the following day might warrant $3000-4000, so the total cost of increasing the offer (and paying everyone the same amount) would have exceeded the cost of a D1 ticket. Perhaps the manager made this calculation.
jdrtravel and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium

Two questions here:

1. What policy was broken? Does DL not allow a Y/Y+ passenger on an international flight to receive a bump to J as part of VDB compensation? Or is that specific to BE passengers only? Or are they allowed to offer it only after a specific person approves? If so, who is that person?

2. Who's really at fault for breaking that policy? From the original post in this thread, it sounds like the Red Coat got approval from an Operations Service Manager. Did the OSM overstep their bounds?

To the OP, good for you for being persistent and getting the J seat promised. I don't know if you want further compensation for having to go through all this, but if you do, call the 404 number in post #2 on Monday; they may be able to offer you a DL voucher. I'd probably ask for $500 and be happy with $200.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:59 am
Original Poster

The Red Coat in question who was unhelpful to me wasn't even there for boarding. Apparently another gentleman who had just received his Red Coat but wasn't wearing it was the Red Coat for the flight and was there during boarding.

The experienced gate agents were working directly with the OSMs (the next level above Red Coats) for approval. Therr were not 1 but 2 OSMs. They approved the $1200 ---> $2000 to vacate J seats, and they also approved my circumstances for the next day.

The female Red Coat arrived to help with rebooking. She was the one who supposedly got a call to remove my D1. She kept saying she wasn't there to hear my offer and thus seemed less interested to help. She tried to call the GA's cell phone but could not reach her.

The last international bump I took included J on the next flight 2 hours later. Not sure if that was easier to offer because it was so close to departure and the same GAs were working it...but that did not involve a Red Coat or OSM. Two GAs processed the VDB, rebooking, everything, and it was fast and friendly and transparent.

I haven't called the 404# in probably 2 years; the last time I called they were incompetent and rude. If I wanted a voucher for my troubles, I think Twitter or DM Desk could issue a few hundred dollars more painlessly than calling the 404 #.

Do folks think that will get me "labeled" in any way? Got the VDB, got the J seat promised (took 4-5 hours of airport and phone time though...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.