Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL gate agents are becoming increasingly unpleasant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL gate agents are becoming increasingly unpleasant

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345

I once missed a JFK-ATL and Red Coat rebooked me + companion in F LGA-ATL and handed me a taxi voucher. In ATL they would have said "let's just put you on the standby list..."
Instead of what? Giving you a taxi voucher for ATL to LGA???? What alternate airport would you have them send you to?
pvn likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Has anything really changed at ATL? The staff has never been the most pleasant.
They're just getting exponentially worse.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
So how many FTers would be in a pleasant mood if having to deal with angry, clueless, and DYKWIA passengers for eight hours every day?

Before anyone berates me, I was a GA for a few years. Loved the job, even on the bad days, but there is only so much any person can take. My goal was always to have them leave the podium feeling at least a little better than from when they approached. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
So how many FTers would be in a pleasant mood if having to deal with angry, clueless, and DYKWIA passengers for eight hours every day?

Before anyone berates me, I was a GA for a few years. Loved the job, even on the bad days, but there is only so much any person can take. My goal was always to have them leave the podium feeling at least a little better than from when they approached. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t.
There are still GA out there that achieve what you're talking about. Some of the staff here at BHM is excellent with a few exceptions. The staff at LEX when I lived there was amazing and always had my back. CVG still has excellent GA staff.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
I think it has gotten much worse (there are still some amazing ones however)........add the gate agents to a majority of the check-in staff at the B Sky Club in ATL.....want to talk about people who hate their job its these people! Lately each time I have had to approach the gate area I have been met with those "short" responses and agents who really seem to care less, or honestly do not even know the rules.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:34 pm

Over the past year or two, it has been harder to find talent at the low end of wages in Atlanta (and elsewhere). I've noticed a slight decrease in customer service across the economy, presumably due to turnover and companies that don't want to increase wages.

I'd be interested to hear if people making complaints remember living on a lower hourly wage or currently have friends in that position.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I seem to have more bad FAs in D1 international flights to/from ATL than any other routes.

The last example was someone who was not only surly, she was downright noncommunicating as if even uttering a few words to a customer would have been too much to expect. There was never a smile, a greeting, or even words such as please/thank you/you're welcome, and never a hint of being gracious about asking a question or offering something like the bread basket. I finally said something to the purser who responded as if she agreed with me but couldn't say much. Strange.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vincentharris
and that is the problem. not really relevant to this situation but you would be amazed how often I hear "I cant tell you the last time i saw anyone show up in person" everybody hides behind phones/emails/web conferences/etc now and nobody goes and sees anyone face to face anymore.

It is a shame because sometimes spending a few hundred dollars to shake a hand makes all the difference in the world.
I recently took a trip to visit some of my clients in Europe and they were amazed that we made the trip. they rolled out the red carpet and said that no one from our competitors EVER comes to visit. and I agree that this trip made all the difference in the relationships
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
if you want truly terrible customer service just go up to any employee at PHL. any airline. any venue. "what do you want" will sound like the most pleasant greeting in the world comparatively
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gitismatt
if you want truly terrible customer service just go up to any employee at PHL. any airline. any venue. "what do you want" will sound like the most pleasant greeting in the world comparatively
Correction: "whawt do YOU whant NOW?" or maybe short version "waddiya whant?"

I find PHL worse than even EWR, although there's a longterm SC employee at PHL who wonderful about keeping the lounge open to about midnight during IROPs and also keeping us up to date about the status of flights.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 29, 2018 at 5:32 am
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I seem to have more bad FAs in D1 international flights to/from ATL than any other routes.

The last example was someone who was not only surly, she was downright noncommunicating as if even uttering a few words to a customer would have been too much to expect. There was never a smile, a greeting, or even words such as please/thank you/you're welcome, and never a hint of being gracious about asking a question or offering something like the bread basket. I finally said something to the purser who responded as if she agreed with me but couldn't say much. Strange.
The bad eggs often have seniority which lets them get the easy long-haul routes. It’s even worse on AA ex-DFW. Of course, these routes are among the airlines’ most profitable in J, so it’s a real issue.

My view is that FAs should be assigned based on performance and not seniority, but anything to ward off a union.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
GAs are likely the next airline job to be automated (like ticket agents were a decade or more ago). I can’t wait for the day to come. There is absolutely no need for a human to stand there and watch people scan barcodes.
JesseRohr likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kenn0223
GAs are likely the next airline job to be automated (like ticket agents were a decade or more ago). I can’t wait for the day to come. There is absolutely no need for a human to stand there and watch people scan barcodes.
GAs aren’t going anywhere. They do a lot more than just scan tickets.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Widgets
I’ve had some of the best and worst customer service in ATL. The worst stands out more than the best, unfortunately.
This! The difference is DTW or MSP are almost all, and I mean all, #StriveForFIve. ATL is either 5 or #SriveForZero. That is sad!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
This! The difference is DTW or MSP are almost all, and I mean all, #StriveForFIve. ATL is either 5 or #SriveForZero. That is sad!
I had a horrible agent in DTW at the SkyPriority service counter upon exiting customs. I did a SDC and needed to have my checked bag re-tagged so that it would fly with me on my new flight. The guy apparently botched it, kept my printed ticket receipt, and failed to give me a new bag claim sticky thing with a new number, although he did unnecessarily reprint the boarding pass. I looked at the new tag on the bag and verified that the new flight numbers were correct and assumed (I know what people say about that word) that the new bag claim was stuck to the back of the boarding pass. In the SC, the "track my bags" function on the app insisted that my bag was still in customs at DTW. I asked a SC agent whether something was wrong and she was fortunately able to fix the mess caused by the post-customs DL employee, but it took time and the outcome easily could have been a permanently lost bag with no proof that I had rechecked it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.