Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL gate agents are becoming increasingly unpleasant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...

While standing underneath this silly PREM sign I can't help but notice how rude the ATL agents have become in the past few years. I just witnessed a RC literally say "what do you need?" when a customer approached the counter. Absolutely unprofessional and just plain rude.

I never really paid much attention to the counter conversations but now I'm forced to with the new boarding process when I have a row 1 seat.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Transit through ATL more than I want to and the GA’s are definitely hit or miss.
The gate areas are so chaotic and crowded in general I almost feel sorry for them. I often think it has to be an unpleasant job at best in ATL when I observe them. Of course no one forces them to do the job and they should be courteous and professional.

During IRROPS it is just utter mayhem in ATL.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JesseRohr
While standing underneath this silly PREM sign I can't help but notice how rude the ATL agents have become in the past few years. I just witnessed a RC literally say "what do you need?" when a customer approached the counter.
Do you really want to generalize from one observation?
Fraser, SJC ORD LDR, HDQDD and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Well OP mentioned to have noticed this over past few years, so don't think this is based on one observation

Last edited by jeet; Nov 28, 2018 at 8:42 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
OP - completely agree.

ATL used to me a model hub. Super courteous agents who really took care of their Medallions.

Some of those folks are still around, but many of the new hires are just awful. They wouldn't even qualify for a job at United.

They yell at customers, care more about covering their rear end then making things right when they go haywire, and hand out the phone number for Corporate Customer Care when they want to quickly end a conversation and don't care about your complaint (by the way, this is how Abercrombie & Fitch used to handle things, with their awful CS - shut down the customer if they complain, and hand them a card to a phone number where someone in a different city probably won't care about their problem either, if the person even bothers to call)

I try to avoid interacting with a majority of the ATL staff nowadays because they don't know DL policies, don't care, and communicate that in an unprofessional manner to boot. ATL is now DL's worst hub in terms of customer service skills and friendliness of the staff.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:23 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Never had a problem.
tvnwz likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:26 am

I’ve had some of the best and worst customer service in ATL. The worst stands out more than the best, unfortunately.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
To be fair, the worst behavior I see at the gate. Some of the best agent interactions I've had or have seen have been at the SC. My gripe is with only GA staff for the purpose of this thread.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
How about 48 different experiences in 2018 from 48 flights out of ATL?

Is everyone awful? no. Is the vast majority (70+%) of my experiences or what i witness/hear pretty bad? yes

LAX is potentially the only experiences I have had over the years that might be worse.

SLC is probably hands down the BEST experience. From when you check in at the counter to the sky club to the gate agent I have never seen anyone who is in a bad mood. ALWAYS very nice and courteous and genuinely seem happy.
GRALISTAIR and KOTAR1988 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I try to avoid interacting with a majority of the ATL staff nowadays because they don't know DL policies, don't care, and communicate that in an unprofessional manner to boot. ATL is now DL's worst hub in terms of customer service skills and friendliness of the staff.
I don’t disagree that ATL isn’t great, but worse than JFK? ATL has plenty of headroom to get worse before they clear that very, very low bar.
FlyingNone and Seabilly like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
OP - completely agree.

ATL used to me a model hub. Super courteous agents who really took care of their Medallions.

Some of those folks are still around, but many of the new hires are just awful. They wouldn't even qualify for a job at United.

They yell at customers, care more about covering their rear end then making things right when they go haywire, and hand out the phone number for Corporate Customer Care when they want to quickly end a conversation and don't care about your complaint (by the way, this is how Abercrombie & Fitch used to handle things, with their awful CS - shut down the customer if they complain, and hand them a card to a phone number where someone in a different city probably won't care about their problem either, if the person even bothers to call)

This is what has always amazed me, you would think at the Global HQ you would have the best employees, not just because of training etc but also the fear of saying the wrong thing to a DL exec and getting in trouble. (similar to being an employee or manager at the Home Depot in Vinings since corporate is right there)

It is the complete opposite, outstations and smaller hubs have the best employees and major hubs/global HQ are terrible. (speaking in general only as there are plenty of great ATL employees too)
EarlVolFan and writerguyfl like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by JesseRohr
While standing underneath this silly PREM sign I can't help but notice how rude the ATL agents have become in the past few years. I just witnessed a RC literally say "what do you need?" when a customer approached the counter. Absolutely unprofessional and just plain rude.

I never really paid much attention to the counter conversations but now I'm forced to with the new boarding process when I have a row 1 seat.
Was it: "what do.. you need?" Or was it more, "what do you need?" It matters.
mrcool1122 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:01 am
Formerly known as scootr29

I was in Atlanta recently and had an exchange with a GA that was well over the top....so much so that the pilot of the plane I was flying on, who was standing close by waiting for his papers, approached me and apologized for her behavior. My brother is a pilot for AA, he says the same thing about GAs at CLT, DFW etc. I believe it is an industry wide issue and not one specific to ATL or Delta. Interacting with people face to face is not a priority in business anymore. I have seen it reduced in my business and I deal with billion dollar accounts. I try to treat people with respect, but if I show up and you do not provide me the same courtesy it is game on.
hi55us, Rd3 and lowmiles like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Being AA based out of ATL, the few times I have taken DL, I , myself have never had a problem
maybe the fact that I always wear Hawaillian shirts, puts a smile on their face?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SSF556
Interacting with people face to face is not a priority in business anymore.
and that is the problem. not really relevant to this situation but you would be amazed how often I hear "I cant tell you the last time i saw anyone show up in person" everybody hides behind phones/emails/web conferences/etc now and nobody goes and sees anyone face to face anymore.

It is a shame because sometimes spending a few hundred dollars to shake a hand makes all the difference in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.