Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

clearing customs at ATL arriving from YVR BC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

clearing customs at ATL arriving from YVR BC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Question 11 pm Delta Flight YVR -ATL ???

Good Day Everyone,
Has anyone taken the 11 pm flight on Delta from YVR- ATL ? This would be Our first time and I am trying to get some information . What time is customs open until ? Is there an airport lounge in that section of
the airport that is accessible to passengers taking this flight ? How early do you need to be there in order to make the flight with no hassles ? Any and all information and suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

US CBP at YVR is open until 10:30PM -- US Customs and Border Protection YVR
There's a Plaza Premium lounge in the US pre-clearance area that takes Priority Pass -- https://www.prioritypass.com/lounges...usa-departures
Don't know how busy it is at that time, but I'd probably get there 2 - 2.5 hours prior to flight (depending on whether you are checking luggage) if you want to avoid any hassles.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 16, 2018 at 6:52 am
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Just need to be there early enough to make bag dropoff and be in preclearance hall before 1030pm. Normally security/US CBP is a breeze at that hour. However I would personally not get there less then an hour before flight. Sometimes they close the security lanes over by US departures and force you to use the main security. You then have to make your way through the connection halls to get to US CBP. This isn't normal, but has happened a number of times recently due to construction.

Lounge will be closed by time you arrive at airport. However, if you arrive really early, you can use the normal security lanes, enter the domestic/international portion of airport and use lounge their. However need to leave time to then follow connections over to and clear US CBP.

ETA - Went by above poster's posted time for closing. It's actually listed as 2030 (which is 830pm, not 1030pm) they close. Thus flight will be handled as a normal international flight. Clearing will be done at ATL. Access to lounges will be normall international lounges. Thus if paid J or STE+ can use Skyteam lounge.

Last edited by flyerCO; Nov 16, 2018 at 8:07 am
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by LBJ
US CBP at YVR is open until 10:30PM -- US Customs and Border Protection YVR
There's a Plaza Premium lounge in the US pre-clearance area that takes Priority Pass -- https://www.prioritypass.com/lounges...usa-departures
Don't know how busy it is at that time, but I'd probably get there 2 - 2.5 hours prior to flight (depending on whether you are checking luggage) if you want to avoid any hassles.
The YVR website says they close at 8:30 PM. Is it out of date or, alternatively, maybe the flight isn't a pre-clearance flight and OP will clear in ATL? I assume Delta doesn't expect all pax to get to the airport 3+ hours early.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ethernal
The YVR website says they close at 8:30 PM. Is it out of date or, alternatively, maybe the flight isn't a pre-clearance flight and OP will clear in ATL? I assume Delta doesn't expect all pax to get to the airport 3+ hours early.
Called Vancouver Preclearance. They confirmed the 11pm is not preclearance flight. OP will clear in ATL.

If OP is in J or is STE+ they can use the Skyteam lounge.
ethernal likes this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Nov 16, 2018 at 8:08 am
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the informative responses. I really appreciate it.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Question clearing customs at ATL arriving from YVR BC

Anyone done the 11:10 pm Delta flight YVR - ATL that can tell me about clearing customs in ATL during a plane change ?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:28 pm

You'll clear customs in ATL. There was a thread about this a few days ago.. will try to find it.

Ahh nevermind I see you were the original poster for that thread.

You'll clear customs in Atlanta just like any other US customs clearing. You'll need to re-clear security after clearing customs. The minimum connection time is 85 minutes I believe. Very early in the morning the place is dead - you'll be in and out quickly.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by horseymike
Anyone done the 11:10 pm Delta flight YVR - ATL that can tell me about clearing customs in ATL during a plane change ?
you will clear customs @YVR if you get there early enough...

US Customs and Border Protection | YVR

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Nov 26, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All customs/immigration is done at YVR as a pre-clearance airport. You will arrive at ATL and enter the main terminal with no additional processing just as though you were on a domestic flight.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
All customs/immigration is done at YVR as a pre-clearance airport. You will arrive at ATL and enter the main terminal with no additional processing just as though you were on a domestic flight.
This is true for most flights out of YVR but not all. Pre-clearance closes at 8 PM at YVR. The YVR red-eye to ATL operates as a regular international inbound flight. OP will clear customs in Atlanta.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont

you will clear customs @YVR if you get there early enough...

US Customs and Border Protection YVR
Originally Posted by LBJ

If you read the thread @ethernal posted above, the 11:10pm YVR-ATL flight does NOT preclear at YVR but clears at Atlanta. It's an exception to the rule (similar to the CX YVR-JFK flight).

Last edited by wrp96; Nov 26, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Normally, YVR is a preclearance airport, but due to the late timing of the YVR-ATL redeye, and the fact that US CBP at YVR closes at 8 PM, YVR will leave from the normal international area at YVR, not the US preclearance area. Thus, when the OP arrives in ATL, they'll have to go through customs & immigration at ATL. It doesn't matter if they show up before US CBP closes at YVR; DL isn't going to segregate the arriving plane into people who precleared at YVR and people who didn't.

Back to the original question...IME, at 6 AM, it doesn't take long to get through customs & immigration at ATL. What you'll do is get off the plane, follow the signs for connecting flights, and an immigration officer will check your passport to make sure you're eligible to enter the US. Once through that, you'll have to pick up your checked bag (if you checked one) and go through the customs area. Then you'll drop off that bag at a special belt (again, if applicable) and clear standard US-style security to enter ATL terminal E or F. From there, take the plane train to the concourse of where your second flight leaves from.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
If you read the thread @ethernal posted above, the 11:10pm YVR-ATL flight does NOT preclear at YVR but clears at immigration. It's an exception to the rule (similar to the CX YVR-JFK flight).
yep...you are correct.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I have merged the OP's two threads on the same topic.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator
Zorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.