Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded from paid FC - resolved

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Let me guess the new equipment has not three rows in FC whereas the original had four. As such, those in last seats went to the back of the bus.
No, it was a 753 which has 24 seats with 6 rows and it was downgraded to a 75D which only has 20 seats and 5 rows and I was originally in Row 4.

Second Update:
I decided to call DL again 1 more time and I spoke with the best agent yet. He actually let me speak to the supervisor who decided to give me a $200 voucher anyway and put notes in my reservation to make sure the GA sees that I need to be put back in FC over a complimentary medallion UGs. She also told me that I was the only one who was bumped.

ADDED: Also note that she told me that the standard downgrade compensation is now only $100 instead of $200 but she still gave me the $200 voucher anyway for my inconvenience.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Let me guess the new equipment has not three rows in FC whereas the original had four. As such, those in last seats went to the back of the bus.
I think 753 is 6 F rows and 75D is 5 rows?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Curious if you're on a true "paid" F fare and not an UP fare. Yes, you would still be due a voucher of some kind, which it sounds like you already got. But I don't think a fare difference would be due in that case. Let us know what happens.

My understanding is that downgrades are supposed to be handled by ACS at the gate (NOT RES). But- equipment changes aren't always a last-minute thing. If the equipment is changed at any time, the new seatmap will get loaded and the auto-REACCOM will be run. I wish it would just take the people who lost seats and put them onto the airport standby list ("HK") and let the gates solicit for volunteers and handle it. The gate agent could then downgrade appropriately if they don't get any volunteers.

I have one of these tomorrow (G class, booked into G at the time of booking, but the fare basis is T). B739 for me. The pucker factor is high after your tale. lol.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
Curious if you're on a true "paid" F fare and not an UP fare. Yes, you would still be due a voucher of some kind, which it sounds like you already got. But I don't think a fare difference would be due in that case. Let us know what happens.

My understanding is that downgrades are supposed to be handled by ACS at the gate (NOT RES). But- equipment changes aren't always a last-minute thing. If the equipment is changed at any time, the new seatmap will get loaded and the auto-REACCOM will be run. I wish it would just take the people who lost seats and put them onto the airport standby list ("HK") and let the gates solicit for volunteers and handle it. The gate agent could then downgrade appropriately if they don't get any volunteers.

I have one of these tomorrow (G class, booked into G at the time of booking, but the fare basis is T). B739 for me. The pucker factor is high after your tale. lol.
UP fares are first class fares, at least at DL. They did away with the silliness over a year ago.
Spiff, MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
UP fares are first class fares, at least at DL. They did away with the silliness over a year ago.
While I agree PurdueFlyer phrased it badly, the overall point is there might not be a fare difference.

I have only had a similar situation once and they got me and my companion in.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
While I agree PurdueFlyer phrased it badly, the overall point is there might not be a fare difference.

I have only had a similar situation once and they got me and my companion in.
Even with an UP fare, the difference between it and the cheapest economy ticket on date of purchase is due. UP fares are no longer considered economy fares by DL.
indufan and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

No, it was a 753 which has 24 seats with 6 rows and it was downgraded to a 75D which only has 20 seats and 5 rows and I was originally in Row 4.

Second Update:
I decided to call DL again 1 more time and I spoke with the best agent yet. He actually let me speak to the supervisor who decided to give me a $200 voucher anyway and put notes in my reservation to make sure the GA sees that I need to be put back in FC over a complimentary medallion UGs. She also told me that I was the only one who was bumped.

ADDED: Also note that she told me that the standard downgrade compensation is now only $100 instead of $200 but she still gave me the $200 voucher anyway for my inconvenience.
This just shows how far DL has fallen

$100 for downgrades now? When did that change?

And they can't even get downgrades right - lie to a paying customer and make them jump through hoops to fix DL's screw up
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Final Update:
When I woke up this morning, I checked the DL app and noticed 1 seat had came open and it just happened to be next to my companion so I quickly grabbed it and I’m now back in FC. Thank you guys for your advice! I also get to keep my $200 voucher as well!
Spiff, SanDiego1K, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Update:
Just got off the phone with two different DL agents. The first one was basically useless and told me that everyone else in FC had paid more for their ticket than I did (I know this is false because I know someone on an award ticket in FC who is still in FC)
Award tickets are treated the same as paid tickets*. When I worked for UA, an elite on an award ticket was one of the highest DB prios IIRC.

*I'm assuming they purchased F class and weren't upgraded.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
My two downgrade experiences turned out pretty well.

The first, I was bumped out of FC on PHL-ATL. I had used an RUC to upgrade, and they gave me $600 in compensation. When I scanned my BP, a FC seat assignment slip printed, and I got to keep the voucher.

The second was DCA-JFK on a regular upgrade. They gave me a $200 voucher, but I cleared back into FC at the gate.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:43 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
We had a paid FC / Business ticket from SDQ to CDG via JFK. For some reason my spouse was downgraded and then put in the upgrade list (#3 for 1 seat). The check-in agent was useless and basically said two people were ahead of her and did not understand at all that she was a paying FC passenger with a C+ seat assigned. When her BP was printed, she actually got a FC seat assignment (the ticket agent didn't even notice), it seems that as soon as she was checked into the flight, she was moved to FC.

Long story short, she was also moved on the JFK-CDG segment from J to F (AF) not sure why, but two hours before the flight she was moved back to J.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
This just shows how far DL has fallen

$100 for downgrades now? When did that change?

And they can't even get downgrades right - lie to a paying customer and make them jump through hoops to fix DL's screw up
I have to agree on this point - someone actually made the call that $200 was too much compensation for a premium cabin customer who is involuntarily downgraded.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by third_wave
I have to agree on this point - someone actually made the call that $200 was too much compensation for a premium cabin customer who is involuntarily downgraded.

Before we jump all over this let's be sure this is the case. Just because one phone agent told one customer this does not mean it is actually a real policy.
Widgets likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Just because one phone agent told one customer this does not mean it is actually a real policy.
^ $100 is pretty low for a First Class to Main Cabin downgrade.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Widgets

^ $100 is pretty low for a First Class to Main Cabin downgrade.
I agree. When someone purchases a FC ticket, it should mean a commitment by DL to fly them in FC and not just an option that the customer might get a FC seat if it's convenient for DL on the day of departure or if DL doesn't manage to resell that FC seat for more money than the original customer might have paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.