Downgraded from paid FC - resolved

Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Downgraded from paid FC - resolved

So I’m flying from MCO-DTW-SDF tomorrow morning on a paid FC ticket. I check in this morning and all is well but I get a notification from my Apple Wallet saying seat changed to 15A from 4A. I go into my reservation and see that there has been an equipment swap from a 753 to a 75D and there are 0 FC seats left. I immediately started to question why I was bumped because the flight was basically empty in FC before the DM window so I had a feeling that the majority of pax were free Medallion UGs. I then called DL and the first agent I spoke to was useless and refused to take this up to a supervisor to investigate and only offered to give me a refund on the difference between FC and C+. I HUCA’d and the next agent did elevate it to a supervisor and as I predicted told me that there was a glitch and I shouldn’t have been downgraded and told me that they were working on it and that I will have a FC seat by the time I get to the gate. I’m really wondering weather I should call back again because I’m still in 15A and I don’t know why her supervisor couldn’t kick someone else out right there and put me in FC. What would you guys do?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Yeah you should call back. They need to boot an upgrade out of FC, and you should push hard. Paid FC is only supposed to be downgraded as a last resort.

I'd specifically ask if anyone with a FC seat got it from a medallion upgrade. If they say yes, ask for that seat.
indufan and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Wait an hour and call again. Definitely follow up.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The reason it takes time I is that the RM/IM people are not directly available by phone, but rather are internally messaged and deal with these requests as they come in on a prioritized basis. Your flight isn't until tomorrow so it is not as much of a priority as someone flying in 2 hours.

But, you definitely should call back if you don't see yourself moved back into F.

Not sure why this happened as the algorithm should have booted people in reverse upgrade order. Thus, as paid with status, you would have been pretty much the last person to get the boot.
CPMaverick and TheHorta like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Everyone is talking so matter-of-factly about this downgrade pecking order. Is there a published, internal or external, pecking order for downgrades? I know there is for IDB's and medallion upgrades. I figured this was more of a free-for-all like VDB's
jdrtravel and Widgets like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by pgh234
Everyone is talking so matter-of-factly about this downgrade pecking order. Is there a published, internal or external, pecking order for downgrades? I know there is for IDB's and medallion upgrades. I figured this was more of a free-for-all like VDB's
Delta never publishes anything. But regardless, paid FC should always stay in FC unless absolute last resort.
Spanish likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Delta never publishes anything. But regardless, paid FC should always stay in FC unless absolute last resort.
But there ARE published IDB and medallion upgrades rules, externally, that is why I am asking. I am not debating that the OP should have been downgraded or not.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
But there ARE published IDB and medallion upgrades rules, externally, that is why I am asking. I am not debating that the OP should have been downgraded or not.
True. To be specific, I dont recall ever having seen published rules for downgrades as it relates to paid pax/comp upgrades

Last edited by xolinlevh; Nov 20, 2018 at 4:23 pm
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Update:
Just got off the phone with two different DL agents. The first one was basically useless and told me that everyone else in FC had paid more for their ticket than I did (I know this is false because I know someone on an award ticket in FC who is still in FC) and offered me a $100 travel voucher. I called back and the second agent told me the same thing the lady I spoke to earlier said that there was a “glitch” and I should have a FC seat and it has been notated in my reservation and I will receive a FC seat at the gate because the flight is already under airport control.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Try to get to the gate early if at all possible, ideally to talk to the GA as soon as he/she arrives and signs onto the terminal. You don't want to risk the flight having an empty FC seat due to SDC or whatever and having the GA upgrade someone else without looking at the notes on your record. Some GAs are extremely reluctant to ever downgrade someone who has been upgraded at the gate, even if it's an obvious mistake. Also, be prepared to ask for a redcoat if there's a problem.

ADDED: I'd also try to talk to someone before the gate, either at the check in line or in the SC if there is one at your airport.

It also wouldn't hurt to watch the seat maps between T-24 and departure. Be prepared to call and pounce on a seat if one becomes available rather than risk it being given to someone else before the gate, although this is probably unlikely if the flight is under airport/gate control.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Remember, DL policy for domestic F downgrade is $200 voucher plus difference in fare as a refund to your card. If you are indeed downgraded still tomorrow, you are entitled to that compensation. Then it is reasonable to request additional good will comp beyond that for you having to try to chase what you paid for.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Which MCO-SDF flight were you booked on (DL 2821?)? Alternatively you could ask DL to rebook you on different flights that have FC availability. As mentioned above the standard practice if you decide to roll the dice (and don't get seated in the booked cabin) is $200 voucher plus fare difference.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:00 pm

What is and what should be could be two different things.
pgh234, CPMaverick and SJC ORD LDR like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by langbr01
Which MCO-SDF flight were you booked on (DL 2821?)? Alternatively you could ask DL to rebook you on different flights that have FC availability. As mentioned above the standard practice if you decide to roll the dice (and don't get seated in the booked cabin) is $200 voucher plus fare difference.
Yes I am on DL2821. The problem is that I am traveling with a companion who is on a FC award ticket and there is only 1 other empty FC seat on the other morning MCO-DTW flight. I would prefer to go through DTW vs ATL to maximize MQMs.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Let me guess the new equipment has three rows in FC whereas the original had four. As such, those in last seats went to the back of the bus.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Nov 21, 2018 at 8:48 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.