Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2021, 5:59 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Fun stuff. I see, it’s a sub panel with its own breakers. I was picturing something else. Is there enough room in the master panel to add the breakers and have some space left for expansion when you add the pool pump? Remember you’ll probably need 60 amps. Hope they don’t have to break too much plaster. I assume you predate drywall. The knob and tube stuff is sketchy. Will they upgrade with new Romex or add conduit?
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
It's hard to tell without an onsite inspection but the easiest and least expensive approach might be to replace this sub-panel, provide a new feed from the main, and replace all of the wiring from the sub-panel. That vs. replacing the sub-panel with home runs depends on the cost comparison and the size of the main panel amps and number of breakers. Another important factor is the brand of the panels and breakers. There are some that are no longer safe and do not meet current code. Depending on when the existing wiring was done, you might have aluminum which should be replaced with copper. Obviously, GFI outlets and/or breakers should be used where current code requires. As El Boocho points out you should provide for expansion with your planned sunroom, garage and pool. That's best be handled by providing for a feed to a sub-panel in he garage. By time you get done you might have to add a secondary service. I had to do tha years ago when I was operating a datacenter in the basement. It was funny having a $1,000+ electric bill for a 1,000 sq ft single family home. I made sure that the PD knew I wasn't running a marijuana farm.
Yep, there are probably 10 spaces left on the existing panel, so plenty of room. And, the panel was wired correctly with code compliant breakers, with only 4 ungrounded outlets and 1 reverse polarity in the whole house. I suspect the ungrounded outlets are the ones running to the old junction box, so on the whole, they did a nice job with the electrical updates (and I'm fussy about electrical). Depending upon where the old electrical still exists, I may have them run subs to both the garage and attic. The former so I can run power tools and a heater (until I can get a gas heater out there) and the latter so that it's easier to rewire anything on the 2nd floor. Good point, though, to remind them for potential expansion for the kitchen/sunroom/pool.

Yep, EB, the house is plaster, so I definitely want to do the electrical work before I paint. I hate having to carry a mortgage and rental for a few months, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Originally Posted by mattp1987
My floors at the original 1920s hardwood, but they had been stained a very dark brown and had furniture dragged across them. I’m so glad we had them sanded and stained before we moved in. We’ve been here six years, and they’re still in good shape except some small cat scratches.
It will be interesting to see what happens. I cannot tell if the floors were stained or if they are walnut. Will need an expert for that one. But, with Pumpkin, figured it best to get them done before I move in....done right and the finish may outlast me (now that's a depressing thought).

Happy Sunday all.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
It's hard to tell without an onsite inspection but the easiest and least expensive approach might be to replace this sub-panel, provide a new feed from the main, and replace all of the wiring from the sub-panel. That vs. replacing the sub-panel with home runs depends on the cost comparison and the size of the main panel amps and number of breakers. Another important factor is the brand of the panels and breakers. There are some that are no longer safe and do not meet current code. Depending on when the existing wiring was done, you might have aluminum which should be replaced with copper. Obviously, GFI outlets and/or breakers should be used where current code requires. As El Boocho points out you should provide for expansion with your planned sunroom, garage and pool. That's best be handled by providing for a feed to a sub-panel in he garage. By time you get done you might have to add a secondary service. I had to do tha years ago when I was operating a datacenter in the basement. It was funny having a $1,000+ electric bill for a 1,000 sq ft single family home. I made sure that the PD knew I wasn't running a marijuana farm.
Did you tell the police that you were mining bitcoins? Did they come to inspect the basement computer setup?
Old Jan 31, 2021, 11:23 am

Kipper, looks like you are gonna get the worst of the storm (although ATOBTTR has to deal with DC snow and driving idiots). Hope the puppers enjoy it and you keep power! This one, luckily, only gave us a dusting. For once, glad NOT to be in Boston
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We were supposed to get 3-6" this time, but I've hardly seen a flake, although it looked like there might have been a bit of light freezing mist overnight. I'm not complaining.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
We're supposed to get around a foot. Originally starting tonight, then changed to starting tomorrow. Vaccine appointments for tomorrow are canceled. I offered to pick up my friend at JFK tonight, but now the snow has changed to arriving tonight, so we'll see. In a conference all day, then have to do a quick supermarket run before another Zoom.

-J.
navi_jen likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Kipper, looks like you are gonna get the worst of the storm (although ATOBTTR has to deal with DC snow and driving idiots).
Thankfully I ran the errands I needed to run yesterday while the weather was nice and well before the snowstorm hit. Anything else I would need is within walking distance and I can telework over the next few days with no issue so no having to deal with idiot drivers for me.
navi_jen likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:36 pm

I did errands, including groceries, on Friday, when the prediction was for snow starting around the middle of the day yesterday. Fortunately, it didn't seem that many others were doing pre-blizzard grocery runs. I also got a haircut, overdue by a couple weeks, but it didn't seem too bad now that my standards are lower as a result of the four or five months in the spring when dogs and lawns but not people could get haircuts in Minnesota (and no, I wasn't willing to go to some random place in Wisconsin).
Old Jan 31, 2021, 1:14 pm

Just wondering does delta have pre clearance to Hawaii? Like Alaska. Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Airnewzealand08
Just wondering does delta have pre clearance to Hawaii? Like Alaska. Thanks.
From what airport?

And speaking of snow, I'm enjoying a fireplace WAY more than I should. I'm firing it up now a coupla times a week. Love it.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
...speaking of snow, I'm enjoying a fireplace WAY more than I should. I'm firing it up now a coupla times a week. Love it.
other than being concerned about the cost of fuel, I fail to see how it’s possible to over-enjoy a fireplace on a cold snowy day
El Boocho and navi_jen like this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
other than being concerned about the cost of fuel, I fail to see how it’s possible to over-enjoy a fireplace on a cold snowy day
Well, it does spew dust into the environment, and into the house. And hopefully, my firewood suppliers aren't cutting down good trees (I'll have to check on that point before the next load). Of course, I accidentally ordered a 1/2 cord right before Christmas, and I sure as shizzle don't want to load and carry 1/4 cord a mile down the street to the new house. So I'm burning as fast as I can
Old Jan 31, 2021, 5:49 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Kipper, looks like you are gonna get the worst of the storm (although ATOBTTR has to deal with DC snow and driving idiots). Hope the puppers enjoy it and you keep power! This one, luckily, only gave us a dusting. For once, glad NOT to be in Boston
We're still getting snow. It started this morning. I've canceled my car inspection that was scheduled for tomorrow morning.
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
We're supposed to get around a foot. Originally starting tonight, then changed to starting tomorrow. Vaccine appointments for tomorrow are canceled. I offered to pick up my friend at JFK tonight, but now the snow has changed to arriving tonight, so we'll see. In a conference all day, then have to do a quick supermarket run before another Zoom.

-J.
We're supposed to get between 12-18".
Old Jan 31, 2021, 5:58 pm

From what airport?

And speaking of snow, I'm enjoying a fireplace WAY more than I should. I'm firing it up now a coupla times a week. Love it.

lol west sea
Old Jan 31, 2021, 6:02 pm

I suspect it will be fun watching the dogs play in the snow.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Well, it does spew dust into the environment, and into the house. And hopefully, my firewood suppliers aren't cutting down good trees (I'll have to check on that point before the next load). Of course, I accidentally ordered a 1/2 cord right before Christmas, and I sure as shizzle don't want to load and carry 1/4 cord a mile down the street to the new house. So I'm burning as fast as I can
yep, schlepping firewood is never fun, and I will give you the environmentalism in a heartbeat even though we are the happy users of what our contractor called a “thermal mood enhancer” (gas insert)

these pix of Buddy and Nudge by the fire are from early 2018

Originally Posted by kipper
We're still getting snow. It started this morning. ... We're supposed to get between 12-18".
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect it will be fun watching the dogs play in the snow.
yes; pix please
navi_jen likes this.

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 31, 2021 at 6:48 pm Reason: add the last pic in the sequence

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.