Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Cancel vs change award, any reason to pick one over other?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:53 am
Original Poster

I only have delta silver status. I have a skymiles award flight booked for ~85000 skymiles, and need to change the dates/departure city, and I expect the change fee to cost $150 as is usual. The new routing/dates is also available for similar mileage value, and I have enough miles in my account to make a new booking (vs cancel/redeposit/change older booking).

Is there any substantial reason for me to not simply cancel the original booking ($150 fees) and booking the new one online vs. calling delta to make the change to the original booking (can't modify online since its partner booking)?

I'm assuming I get the taxes refunded from the original booking yes? Also have lower silver status folks been able to get the cancel/redeposit fee waiver by asking nicely or should I not even bother?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you book a new award and leave your existing award, there is a possibility of a schedule change or flight cancellation that would allow you to refund at no cost.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:20 am

You can leave both reservations active to wait and see if there is a schedule change if you have enough SM but they cannot be conflicting reservations or DL can unilaterally cancel one or both of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.