Wiki Posts
Search

GM Free Baggage question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, AA Gold
GM Free Baggage question

So I know that GM's get 2 free checked bags, and this benefit applies to 8 travel companions on the same reservation. I just wanted to get a sense from others as to whether or not Delta commonly makes exceptions to this rule or not.

Here's the situation: Travelling round trip, LGA-MCO. Got wife and kid a "Companion Ticket Free" deal, so they are both on 1 PNR. I am on a separate PNR. When we travel, there are typically 3 luggage (1 per), so I can check a maximum of 2 luggage for free and the 3rd will be $30 on my wife's name. Just wanted to know if Delta would overlook the separate PNR issue and consider them my "same reservation travel companions" to be able to check the third one for free.

In retrospect, I should have bought my wife the single ticket and used the companion ticket for myself and kiddo, but it's too late.

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:57 pm

Yes...Delta will overlook the separate PNR and provide your wife and child your GM baggage benefit. As a courtesy...they "should" attach Priority tags to their bag/s also.
As long as you're going to the same destination as your up to 8 companions...they don't have to be on the same PNR.

Last edited by OHDL1; Oct 11, 2018 at 3:08 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Also, according to recent anecdotal evidence, calling and having DL “link” your PNRs does more than it used to, providing something of a deeper connection

If you haven’t already, it would be good to call and have them linked anyway. This way, for IRROPs and things they’ll treat you as a group.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
“Technically”, all passenger must be in the same PNR for the free bag. I would guess that 99% of the time, they will look the other way. Although I could see that changing since bag fees have gone up and they are looking for every bit of revenue they can find. As far as cross referencing or linking PNR’s, I don’t see that as changing. It is a notation in the reservation that must be manually read and the computer systems have not changed. To make it more valuable, they would have to send some sort of electronic message between reservations that would appear in a very visible area which I don’t see as happening in the near future.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by NYCTraveller
So I know that GM's get 2 free checked bags, and this benefit applies to 8 travel companions on the same reservation. I just wanted to get a sense from others as to whether or not Delta commonly makes exceptions to this rule or not.

Here's the situation: Travelling round trip, LGA-MCO. Got wife and kid a "Companion Ticket Free" deal, so they are both on 1 PNR. I am on a separate PNR. When we travel, there are typically 3 luggage (1 per), so I can check a maximum of 2 luggage for free and the 3rd will be $30 on my wife's name. Just wanted to know if Delta would overlook the separate PNR issue and consider them my "same reservation travel companions" to be able to check the third one for free.

In retrospect, I should have bought my wife the single ticket and used the companion ticket for myself and kiddo, but it's too late.

Thanks!
You should be able to get them to extend your free checked bag benefit to your wife. Of course you could encounter a check-in agent who is having a bad day, but I've done this a few times this year alone and never had an issue.

Would definitely recommend tweeting at DL or calling the medallion desk and asking them to put a note in your reservations to link them. I don't know if it will do anything in practice, but I always do it just to be safe. I was able to get my wife a C+ upgrade a few weeks ago at the gate using my status, even though we had bought her ticket last minute on a separate PNR when her work schedule changed and it turned out she could join me on the trip. Obviously a YMMV situation, but can't hurt to ask.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Do link your records, especially for rebooking or IRROPS. I've not had a problem with my family on a different PNR and getting the luggage checked. And it's been usually only one extra suitcase. Not sure what would happen if you had 8 family members all on separate PNRs, but that's unlikely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.