Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Sky Club - Remaining NWA Lifetime Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum

Been about four years since I've been back here. Cheers, everyone!

Anyway, I've had a number of chats with old NWA elites about how many remaining NWA Worldclub lifetime members are still active and in use as DL Sky Club lifetime members now.

I've searched here and elsewhere and never even found so much as a guesstimate.

Anyone know or can hazard a knowledgeable guess?

Thanks!!

Last edited by FF Hooligan; Sep 20, 2018 at 9:35 am
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Can't be that many. One it's not like lots of people were buying them. Second I'm sure quite a few have had their membership run out. Third and lastly, it's been what, close to a decade since they were sold.

In the end, I'd venture not enough to make a class action worthwhile. Sorry if that's not you're intent with question. Just have had a number of users screaming for lawsuit regarding Jan 1 changes and LT memberships.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Second I'm sure quite a few have had their membership run out..
You mean they have died? That's the only way I can see a lifetime membership running out.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO

In the end, I'd venture not enough to make a class action worthwhile. Sorry if that's not you're intent with question. Just have had a number of users screaming for lawsuit regarding Jan 1 changes and LT memberships.

Ha, that was definitely NOT my intent.
kthomas likes this.

Last edited by FF Hooligan; Sep 20, 2018 at 2:24 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

I am current on the changes but they don't really affect me as I always fly DL and there does not seem be any major changes change for lifetime members that I see.

Last edited by FF Hooligan; Sep 20, 2018 at 2:26 pm Reason: I gave a vague answer originally
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

You mean they have died? That's the only way I can see a lifetime membership running out.
Exactly what I was thinking! It's a good way to break the news easy I guess.

"Sorry little Jimmy, Grandpa's SkyClub membership is over now..."
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
When the merger was announced, I got comped to NW status (I think 2nd highest level, whatever it was called). I then got a lifetime membership.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Salt in old wound

Originally Posted by FF Hooligan
Been about four years since I've been back here. Cheers, everyone!

Anyway, I've had a number of chats with old NWA elites about how many remaining NWA Worldclub lifetime members are still active and in use as DL Sky Club lifetime members now.

I've searched here and elsewhere and never even found so much as a guesstimate.

Anyone know or can hazard a knowledgeable guess?

Thanks!!
Thanks for rubbing salt in an old wound here! I remember thinking long and hard about buying it...but it was about $500 (under $1,000 at least) and I decided it was too much. Wish I had a time machine to go back and buy it
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
Western Airlines

Don't forget that when Delta brought Western Airlines, those lifetime lounge members were grandfathered into a life time membership in Delta's Sky Club. I think I paid a between $500 and $600....way back then and still have Sky Club access.....there is even a card, physical and electronic that confirms the lifetime status.....
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by zrs70
When the merger was announced, I got comped to NW status (I think 2nd highest level, whatever it was called). I then got a lifetime membership.
Clarification, back in late 1980's, lifetime membership to NW WorldClub was somewhere around $1000 i believe. Right around the Delta Northwest Merger in 2007, it was priced well over $2500. Likely, zrs70 had paid the higher lifetime membership price.

While every member is affected, late joining life-ers are ones who are feeling the squeeze.

Jiburi
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I wasn’t a lifetime member, but my 3 year finally ran out in August after multiple extensions because of my delta DM status. I’m going to use my 3rd extra for something else this year as my trips through next Jan are all intl booked in D1. And I’m a 2 MM so SkyTeam gold for intl access.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
The Lifetime electronic cards have an expiration date of 2079. If I was still around then due to miracles in medical science, I'd probably switch to AA where out cards don't have a fixed expiration date. ^
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

That is absolutely the way that they will finally run out. I, as a student in the 80s, couldn't afford to buy one. Ironically, it would have been one of my better investments...
kthomas likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
There are still some of us around

Back in the late 80's, at one of the many times when NWA found themselves on the brink of running out of cash, I received a special offer from Diner's Club. Buy a Lifetime World Club membership and charge it on the DC credit card, and they gave you a $250 discount! The normal cost was around $1000 or $1100, and I was strongly tempted. I went back and forth trying to make a decision, and finally decided to opt in. I was 40 yrs old and had a lot of flying ahead of me, but at the time the joke was "who's lifetime are we talking about? Mine or NWA's?"
As it turned out, that was the best $800 or so that I have ever spent, and I am still hanging out in the Clubs every time that I fly. 3 of them next week and 3 the following week, and all the beer I can drink!!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by FF Hooligan
Ha, that was definitely NOT my intent.
I purchased the lifetime Skyclub access years ago and I am not dead yet. I am hoping for another 20 years of flying (4 business the rest personal).
FF Hooligan and Air Houston like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.