FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL Sky Club - Remaining NWA Lifetime Members (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1931585-dl-sky-club-remaining-nwa-lifetime-members.html)

FF Hooligan Sep 20, 2018 9:22 am

DL Sky Club - Remaining NWA Lifetime Members

Been about four years since I've been back here. Cheers, everyone!

Anyway, I've had a number of chats with old NWA elites about how many remaining NWA Worldclub lifetime members are still active and in use as DL Sky Club lifetime members now.

I've searched here and elsewhere and never even found so much as a guesstimate.

Anyone know or can hazard a knowledgeable guess?

Thanks!!

flyerCO Sep 20, 2018 11:22 am

Can't be that many. One it's not like lots of people were buying them. Second I'm sure quite a few have had their membership run out. Third and lastly, it's been what, close to a decade since they were sold.

In the end, I'd venture not enough to make a class action worthwhile. Sorry if that's not you're intent with question. Just have had a number of users screaming for lawsuit regarding Jan 1 changes and LT memberships.

readywhenyouare Sep 20, 2018 11:26 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30226054)
Second I'm sure quite a few have had their membership run out..

You mean they have died? That's the only way I can see a lifetime membership running out.

FF Hooligan Sep 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30226054)

In the end, I'd venture not enough to make a class action worthwhile. Sorry if that's not you're intent with question. Just have had a number of users screaming for lawsuit regarding Jan 1 changes and LT memberships.

Ha, that was definitely NOT my intent.

FF Hooligan Sep 20, 2018 12:37 pm

I am current on the changes but they don't really affect me as I always fly DL and there does not seem be any major changes change for lifetime members that I see.

CPMaverick Sep 20, 2018 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 30226069)

You mean they have died? That's the only way I can see a lifetime membership running out.

Exactly what I was thinking! It's a good way to break the news easy I guess.

"Sorry little Jimmy, Grandpa's SkyClub membership is over now..."

zrs70 Sep 20, 2018 10:50 pm

When the merger was announced, I got comped to NW status (I think 2nd highest level, whatever it was called). I then got a lifetime membership.

gretchendz Sep 21, 2018 8:40 am

Salt in old wound

Originally Posted by FF Hooligan (Post 30225546)
Been about four years since I've been back here. Cheers, everyone!

Anyway, I've had a number of chats with old NWA elites about how many remaining NWA Worldclub lifetime members are still active and in use as DL Sky Club lifetime members now.

I've searched here and elsewhere and never even found so much as a guesstimate.

Anyone know or can hazard a knowledgeable guess?

Thanks!!

Thanks for rubbing salt in an old wound here! I remember thinking long and hard about buying it...but it was about $500 :) (under $1,000 at least) and I decided it was too much. Wish I had a time machine to go back and buy it :)

bescobar Sep 21, 2018 8:45 am

Western Airlines

Don't forget that when Delta brought Western Airlines, those lifetime lounge members were grandfathered into a life time membership in Delta's Sky Club. I think I paid a between $500 and $600....way back then and still have Sky Club access.....there is even a card, physical and electronic that confirms the lifetime status.....

jiburi Sep 21, 2018 9:38 am

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 30228180)
When the merger was announced, I got comped to NW status (I think 2nd highest level, whatever it was called). I then got a lifetime membership.

Clarification, back in late 1980's, lifetime membership to NW WorldClub was somewhere around $1000 i believe. Right around the Delta Northwest Merger in 2007, it was priced well over $2500. Likely, zrs70 had paid the higher lifetime membership price.

While every member is affected, late joining life-ers are ones who are feeling the squeeze.

Jiburi

mot29 Sep 21, 2018 12:27 pm

I wasn’t a lifetime member, but my 3 year finally ran out in August after multiple extensions because of my delta DM status. I’m going to use my 3rd extra for something else this year as my trips through next Jan are all intl booked in D1. And I’m a 2 MM so SkyTeam gold for intl access.

SuperG1955 Sep 21, 2018 2:19 pm

The Lifetime electronic cards have an expiration date of 2079. If I was still around then due to miracles in medical science, I'd probably switch to AA where out cards don't have a fixed expiration date. :D ^

formeraa Sep 21, 2018 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 30226069)

That is absolutely the way that they will finally run out. I, as a student in the 80s, couldn't afford to buy one. Ironically, it would have been one of my better investments...

mrcimino1 Sep 21, 2018 6:27 pm

There are still some of us around

Back in the late 80's, at one of the many times when NWA found themselves on the brink of running out of cash, I received a special offer from Diner's Club. Buy a Lifetime World Club membership and charge it on the DC credit card, and they gave you a $250 discount! The normal cost was around $1000 or $1100, and I was strongly tempted. I went back and forth trying to make a decision, and finally decided to opt in. I was 40 yrs old and had a lot of flying ahead of me, but at the time the joke was "who's lifetime are we talking about? Mine or NWA's?"
As it turned out, that was the best $800 or so that I have ever spent, and I am still hanging out in the Clubs every time that I fly. 3 of them next week and 3 the following week, and all the beer I can drink!!

hnewman Sep 22, 2018 5:11 am

Originally Posted by FF Hooligan (Post 30226375)
Ha, that was definitely NOT my intent.

I purchased the lifetime Skyclub access years ago and I am not dead yet. I am hoping for another 20 years of flying (4 business the rest personal).