Delta Pilot Arrested For Lying To FAA

Reply

Old Sep 19, 18, 10:06 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orlando, FL Area
Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Posts: 20,078
Delta Pilot Arrested For Lying To FAA

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...mental-health/

I guess he thought he was slick and the FAA would never connect the dots. Delta should be ashamed for not doing a more thorough background check. After the Germanwings crash mental illness has to be taken seriously.
readywhenyouare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 18, 7:55 am
  #2  
pvn
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,188
Delta should be ashamed for... what? They should have taken action before the guy lied IYO? The system worked here, and you think it's a shameful incident?

The draconian over-stigmatization of mental illness is what drives people to lie about this stuff, BTW.
pvn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 18, 7:59 am
  #3  
2018 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere
Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
Posts: 2,613
For all we know his mental illness was a fear of clowns.
HWGeeks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 18, 8:03 am
  #4  
Ambassador: Emirates
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 6,410
Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
For all we know his mental illness was a fear of clowns.
The article (which should've been quoted by the OP as per FT rules) states depression.
skywardhunter is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 18, 8:40 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, AA Gold, Alaska MVP, SPG Plat
Posts: 1,458
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
Delta should be ashamed for... what? They should have taken action before the guy lied IYO? The system worked here, and you think it's a shameful incident?

The draconian over-stigmatization of mental illness is what drives people to lie about this stuff, BTW.
Agreed, the whole thing is a lose-lose for pilots. In this case the pilot was a bit of an idiot - simultaneously taking VA payments for the mental health disorder while lying and saying that he does not have a record of mental health disorders. The government is pretty bad at cross-department database lookups (c.f. 9/11) but this one was easy to catch.

Other than that.. if you were a pilot, would you be honest about private mental health issues? When it could mean that your career is temporarily or even permanently derailed? It's easy to be a keyboard jockey hero and say yes, you would, but it's awfully easy to say that when your livelihood is not on the line.

I honestly believe the "four eyes" policy the US already had (and was implemented by the EU post-GermanWings incident) is sufficient to reduce the risk of suicide pilots to an acceptable level without creating this sort of situation for pilots. Most people have enough trouble committing suicide on the ground alone - it's harder to do it in the air, and even harder with the guilt of someone watching and asking what the heck you're doing.
The Situation and Spanish like this.
ethernal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 18, 9:00 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ATL
Programs: SPG, DL
Posts: 266
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
if you were a pilot, would you be honest about private mental health issues? When it could mean that your career is temporarily or even permanently derailed? It's easy to be a keyboard jockey hero and say yes, you would, but it's awfully easy to say that when your livelihood is not on the line.
Pilots have extremely generous loss of license and disability insurance for precisely this reason. The system is designed to encourage reporting of all issues, be it headaches, alcoholism, mental health, or otherwise. It's actually significantly more prone to abuse (I have a headache and can't fly... here take 6 months off paid leave to recover) than it is to under-reporting. And that is exactly the type of behavior that should be encouraged--nobody wants a pilot flying when they aren't at their best, so marginal cases of illness should be encouraged to be reported, and compensation continued so that the pilot can recover.
wrp96 likes this.
ATLawyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 18, 12:51 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
I honestly believe the "four eyes" policy the US already had (and was implemented by the EU post-GermanWings incident) is sufficient to reduce the risk of suicide pilots to an acceptable level without creating this sort of situation for pilots. Most people have enough trouble committing suicide on the ground alone - it's harder to do it in the air, and even harder with the guilt of someone watching and asking what the heck you're doing.
BTW - this EU policy was rolled back 2 years after the GermanWings crash, at least for German airlines. Not sure if it is EU wide.

Sources:
https://onemileatatime.com/two-perso...ule-abolished/
https://www.dw.com/en/germany-scraps...ule/a-38632650
dmac7273 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 18, 1:21 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ATL/PDK/FFC
Programs: DL KM, GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓, CLEAR, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,814
Ultimately the FAA policy on mental health is stupid and outdated. They're basically asking for pilots to keep mental health issues under wraps, to let them metastasize untreated, in order to keep their jobs. Also pretty dumb given the role anxiety plays in mental health: "hey you better not go to someone with mental health issues, or it'll be your job..." thus adding additional stress and exacerbating underlying issues. Pilots should be allowed to seek help without fear of losing their careers over it.

If given the choice between lying and losing your job career, we all know what choice basically everyone but a rounding error's worth of people would take. And that's exactly what the FAA is doing to pilots with mental health concerns. Including stuff even as trivial as ADHD. And they know it. A policy change is long overdue.

No clue why DL should be "ashamed" or what at all OP is trying to imply. "Depression" doesn't make someone slam a planeload of people into a mountain. OP and the FAA are both apparently unwilling to understand the complexities and commonness of mental health issues in society.
cygnus, pvn, acrophobia and 1 others like this.
sky303 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: