Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LGA-Manhattan-JFK For An NYC Rookie- Tips/Tricks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA-Manhattan-JFK For An NYC Rookie- Tips/Tricks?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Central park area" is kind of vague. It stretches from 59th to 110th St. and from 5th Ave. to 8th Ave. Obviously Citymapper will give you the correct directions from your actual location, but timing-wise our recommendation might vary depending on east side vs. west side, for example. In general, though, I agree that subway/Airtrain is probably the most reliable option vs. driving at the height of rush hour.

(P.S. the B-to-E transfer going from Columbus Circle will require going down a flight of stairs at the 7th Ave. Station. Another alternative is the R train from either 57th & 7th or 59/60th & 5th -- that just has an easy cross-platform transfer to the E at Queens Plaza.)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
"Central park area" is kind of vague. It stretches from 59th to 110th St. and from 5th Ave. to 8th Ave. Obviously Citymapper will give you the correct directions from your actual location, but timing-wise our recommendation might vary depending on east side vs. west side, for example. In general, though, I agree that subway/Airtrain is probably the most reliable option vs. driving at the height of rush hour.

(P.S. the B-to-E transfer going from Columbus Circle will require going down a flight of stairs at the 7th Ave. Station. Another alternative is the R train from either 57th & 7th or 59/60th & 5th -- that just has an easy cross-platform transfer to the E at Queens Plaza.)
Good point on the platform change thing. Citymapper actually tells you if there is a change in level involving stairs when changing trains. The one I mentioned does show a platform change and thus does change levels. The Queens Plaza change is silent in the app on the platform change, which tells you it's on the same level.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Will be staying at Ritz Carlton at 50 Central Park West. If rush hour traffic bad for taxi or Uber was thinking taxi to Penn Station then LIRR to Airtran. Better Way?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by holocker
Will be staying at Ritz Carlton at 50 Central Park West. If rush hour traffic bad for taxi or Uber was thinking taxi to Penn Station then LIRR to Airtran. Better Way?
It's about 45 minutes from Penn to the terminal using LIRR. So add taxi time in rush hour to it. I would say 30 minutes for that piece. Total time is probably similar. $12.50 for LIRR and $5.00 for Airtrane plus taxi. My bias is toward the trains and avoiding taxis, but that's just me.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holocker
A taxi to Penn Station would take forever too. There’s an entrance to the 59th/5th st subway station across the street from the ritz, adjacent to the park. Just take the R train to Queens Plaza (2 stops IIRC) then transfer (across the platform) to the E (which runs express) to Jamaica to the Airtrain. There are escalators and elevators at Jamaica.

I would expect it to take 50-60 minutes to get from the hotel to the security checkpoint.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dupe, sorry
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, Ritz is 50 Central Park South. Wonderful hotel.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Working backwards, if your flight is at 7:30, you want to get to the airport around 6:00-6:30 pm, ya? That has you leaving at probably the worst time you could ask for. Traffic can be bad or terrible, you really can't tell, so public transportation is probably best, as long as your one piece of luggage is maneuverable.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In recent months I have seen $80-90 Uber fares and that is really an insulting price. They got people used to $40 or so flat fares and now. I tend to find that Lyft is normally about $10 cheaper and Juno $20 cheaper and often seem to be the exact same cars and drivers. As someone noted above, there are a ton of more traditional companies such as Carmel and Dial 7 that have fought back and often are $55 and under, not to mention some of the Chinese fleets that now have apps and everything that are often even cheaper than that.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by hfly
In recent months I have seen $80-90 Uber fares and that is really an insulting price. They got people used to $40 or so flat fares and now. I tend to find that Lyft is normally about $10 cheaper and Juno $20 cheaper and often seem to be the exact same cars and drivers. As someone noted above, there are a ton of more traditional companies such as Carmel and Dial 7 that have fought back and often are $55 and under, not to mention some of the Chinese fleets that now have apps and everything that are often even cheaper than that.
What are the names of some of these Chinese fleets with apps?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Try Good Luck Car Service for very affordable car services. They’re very reliable and the best price if you’re able to pay with cash. I don’t think they have an App but a quick Search will give you their phone number.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New Golden Horse is one, but if you type in "Chinese car service NY" into Google you will find many.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are the drivers for these services licensed by the TLC?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:24 pm
RNE

My MS flight CAI-JFK is scheduled to land at 15:25 on a Sunday. I'll be seated midway in economy on the plane. I will have one checked bag. I'm a US citizen. I have TSA PreCheck but nothing more (e.g no Global Entry). Once outside the airport, I'll queue for a taxi to Midtown. (No, I don't want any other form of ground transportation. Nor helicopter, for that matter.) I'm not worried about getting there quickly. I just need to know my ETA no matter how fast or slow it may be.

Please give me an educated guess (a range is OK) of what time o'clock I would exit my taxi in Midtown.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5pm give or take.
You can use the Mobile Passport app which is as fast as (and often faster than) Global Entry. The gating item will be baggage delivery, but that should be out by 4-4:15p the latest.
RNE and mikesaidyes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.