Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LGA-Manhattan-JFK For An NYC Rookie- Tips/Tricks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA-Manhattan-JFK For An NYC Rookie- Tips/Tricks?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
The cheapest way to Manhattan from JFK is 2.75.

Take the Air Train to T4, Get onto the B15 bus pay 2.75 fair (change or metro card get a transfer)
Take the B15 Bus to New Lots Ave. Transfer to the 3 train (Free transfer)
Take the 3 train 45 minutes into Manhattan.

total cost 2.75 per person.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
--Car service (UberX is around $80 inclusive of tolls and fees)
I just went through my last five Lyft rides and the average was $65 with the max being just shy of $75, so that estimate seems high. (FWIW, that's pretty much in line with the yellow cab price although with somewhat greater variability.)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by jordyn
I just went through my last five Lyft rides and the average was $65 with the max being just shy of $75, so that estimate seems high. (FWIW, that's pretty much in line with the yellow cab price although with somewhat greater variability.)
Probably depends where in Manhattan you are.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by NHFL9
I would suggest LIRR + AirTrain to JFK if your bags are manageable. Traffic to JFK can be terrible and uncomfortable in the back seat of a car. Just my $0.02 that every time I take a car to JFK I regret it and wish I took the train. YMMV of course.
Seconded. I just took the LIRR/AirTrain combination from Penn Station to T4--took less than 45 minutes, and that's with four minutes waiting for the AirTrain. Almost all LIRR trains from Penn Station stop at Jamaica--I believe the Port Washington line is the only exception--which means frequent options for your departure. Once at Jamaica Station, you follow the signs for the AirTrain and go upstairs to the AirTrain platform.

I'd use other options if you have more than carryon luggage or more than three travelers, if your hotel is outside what you feel is a reasonable walking range from Penn Station, or if the weather is lousy; otherwise, I've found the LIRR/AirTrain the most consistent method of getting between Manhattan and JFK.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
I recently took a mid-day Lyft in perfectly tolerable traffic. It beat the Subway/LIRR by a good 15-20 minutes.

Next time I'm taking the train. The driver was so awful. It was $60 or so. I loathed every minute.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by rogo
I recently took a mid-day Lyft in perfectly tolerable traffic. It beat the Subway/LIRR by a good 15-20 minutes.

Next time I'm taking the train. The driver was so awful. It was $60 or so. I loathed every minute.
Yeah I have had similar experiences.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Probably depends where in Manhattan you are.
Sure, but both my office and my home are farther from JFK than Times Square is, which is the relevant distance for the OP, and I think I've only ever seen a quote for $80+ to/from JFK once ever.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
In all honesty, Uber/Lyft to and from JFK can be a rip off. I've been charged $80 to $90 pre-tip for certain rides. Good ol' yellow taxi is $52 flat fare, plus tolls, from Times Square to JFK, and there should't be a big issue with traffic on a Saturday morning. I would have them take the Queensboro Bridge to avoid any tolls.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:14 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Carmel car company-212-666-6666 is $40 from JFK to Manhattan and $49 return using a coupon available online. It does not include tolls.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If the OP were flying out of JFK on a Sunday or a Monday, he could get a one-way Manhattan-JFK rental car for $14 -- including tax and gas -- from Avis or Budget.

For travel on a Saturday, I think the best one-way car rental would be $48 from Budget, using BCD R344905. That price includes tax; not sure if it also includes gas.

The $48 deal is for a 24-hour rental, so if the OP wanted to go out to Long Island, for example, and spend Friday night there, that could be a good use for the rental car.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by guv1976
For travel on a Saturday, I think the best one-way car rental would be $48 from Budget, using BCD R344905. That price includes tax; not sure if it also includes gas.

The $48 deal is for a 24-hour rental, so if the OP wanted to go out to Long Island, for example, and spend Friday night there, that could be a good use for the rental car.
If you have use for a car, that's interesting, but don't forget you also have to find and pay for your gas, and any bridge or tunnel tolls, and plan extra time to return the car. Could be way more hassle than it's worth.

But on a Saturday morning, leaving around 9:30 - 10:00? I'd recommend Uber/Lyft unless your bags are easily manageable on public transportation, then the Airtrain is an option.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, at both the inbound from LGA and outbound to JFK times, per the OP, traffic should be rather light (unless there's a parade/race going on), and private transport will be much more convenient. Then it comes down to Uber/Lyft vs. Carmel/Dial7 vs. Taxi and we could discuss those for days.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:43 pm

We've done the LGA arrival/JFK departure with a checked bag and carry on. When we arrive, we buy the one week unlimited Metro card for $30. It covers bus transfers as well as subway. At LGA, you take the bus to Roosevelt Station and then take the subway from there to wherever you are staying. You have a stair down and a stair back up. When leaving through JFK, we take the subway to Jamaica and then the Airtrane into the terminal. At the end of the day, all of our transportation from the time we land to the time the plane leaves is covered by the $30 metro card and one Airtrane ride. And we get everywhere faster than any vehicle option. So as long as you don't mind carrying the bags on the front and back end, it seems like the no brainer from a value and getting around quickly perspective.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
What would you recommend for 1 person on a Monday traveling from the Central Park area to JFK with a 7:30 PM flight time. Would have 1 piece of luggage.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by holocker
What would you recommend for 1 person on a Monday traveling from the Central Park area to JFK with a 7:30 PM flight time. Would have 1 piece of luggage.
Download the Citymapper app if you have Iphone. It's awesome for choosing the best route. It will sort based on method of transportation; time of the trip; rain safe; etc. It will also update live on reroutes and other issues by pulling info from the transit authority. You can even pick a time to leave way ahead of time to determine the route you will take, and then watch it for updates until it's time to leave.

You're going at rush hour, so taxis will be forever to get there. I just looked up leaving next Monday at 4:00 pm from Central Park West to JFK. The shortest route is taking B to E to Jamaica and then Airtrane and has you in the terminal at 5:11. The one change is from B to E, but it's just a platform change. Total cost $7.75 without the unlimited Metro card; $5.00 with the Metro card. The $5.00 is for the Airtrane ride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.