Wiki Posts
Search

Miscellaneous Observations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Miscellaneous Observations

I know most of the cognoscenti here are way ahead of me, but here are a few random observations I’ve made. Some recent, some not so much...

1) On the ATL “Plane Train” — the concourse announcements follow the phonetic alphabet, except for “D”... ;-)

2) For my last dozen or so domestic legs, WiFi does NOT turn off on approach below 10,000 feet, but has remained active until touchdown.

3) Tips at the Asanda Spa are converted to cash for the therapist and applied to their paycheck. I’d imagine a good therapist could rack-up 10K SkyMiles per day. Would be awesome to give them the option of taking the miles if they like to travel. Could be up to 200K per month for them.

4) Anecdotal, but seems like I always get the UG on “rich” routes when flying with an award miles companion. Could just be an anomaly, but...
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I know most of the cognoscenti here are way ahead of me, but here are a few random observations I’ve made. Some recent, some not so much...

1) On the ATL “Plane Train” — the concourse announcements follow the phonetic alphabet, except for “D”... ;-)

Yep - because they don’t want people just hearing “Delta” and thinking that’s the concourse for Delta (even though DL does use D now - there was a time when D was the one concourse they didn’t have much or any presence in D). At ATL, taxiway D is “Dixie” instead of “Delta” as well.
TheHorta, strickerj and wxman22 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold

Obviously naming one of the concourses with the name of a major airline would be nothing but confusing.

2) For my last dozen or so domestic legs, WiFi does NOT turn off on approach below 10,000 feet, but has remained active until touchdown.
2Ku wifi technology, which is rapidly spreading across the DL fleet, works gate-to-gate, not 10k feet to 10k feet
TheHorta likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
2Ku wifi technology, which is rapidly spreading across the DL fleet, works gate-to-gate, not 10k feet to 10k feet
I always thought this was some terrorism-related FAA requirement but I take it now that it was just a limitation of the older ground station-based networking technology?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CyBeR
I always thought this was some terrorism-related FAA requirement but I take it now that it was just a limitation of the older ground station-based networking technology?
Correct. While the FA script still says it shuts off automatically, that’s incorrect on 2KU flights.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by CyBeR
At one point it may have been a security limit but now its just a limit in the technology. The ground based system uses line of sight tech so the antenna (on the bottom of the airplane) needs a line of sight to one (or more) of the ground based stations. The satellite based system uses an antenna on the top of the airplane that can usually see the satellites so it technically can work all them time.

I’ve found that, on about 50% of my flights, the WiFi light (that’s replaced the no smoking light) is usually accurate (e.g. when it’s on WiFi’s on). Most 2kU flights allow you to sign on as soon as the safety video is over and stay connected until landing.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

3) Tips at the Asanda Spa are converted to cash for the therapist and applied to their paycheck. I’d imagine a good therapist could rack-up 10K SkyMiles per day. Would be awesome to give them the option of taking the miles if they like to travel. Could be up to 200K per month for them.

4) Anecdotal, but seems like I always get the UG on “rich” routes when flying with an award miles companion. Could just be an anomaly, but...
3)would be a nightmare for tax/wage purposes. Remember miles aren't owned by the individual. Also there's federal taxes that can apply to mileage transactions.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by flyerCO
3)would be a nightmare for tax/wage purposes. Remember miles aren't owned by the individual. Also there's federal taxes that can apply to mileage transactions.
Yeah, I would think so too. It’s too bad, as that would be an awesome benefit if they permitted free mileage transfers between accounts.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite

Yeah, I would think so too. It’s too bad, as that would be an awesome benefit if they permitted free mileage transfers between accounts.
The main reason DL would never actually just gift the miles to the therapist - legal/tax reasons aside - is the whole strategic purpose of allowing miles redemptions in the clubs is to remove the liability of all the outstanding miles on their balance sheet

DL has a lot of outstanding miles and execs/Wall Street keep focusing on the liability so many unredeemed miles has on the airline

So the whole point of letting you buy the treatment or booze with miles is to get rid of the miles balance- not bear the cost of the treatment/booze and then transfer a bunch of the miles as a tip to an attendant
TheHorta likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

Yep - because they don’t want people just hearing “Delta” and thinking that’s the concourse for Delta (even though DL does use D now - there was a time when D was the one concourse they didn’t have much or any presence in D). At ATL, taxiway D is “Dixie” instead of “Delta” as well.
When was that? I have been going to ATL for over 20 years and Delta has been D for all of that time.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:43 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
You may want to get your hearing checked

edit: ah, I read it wrong, thought you meant the plane train said "delta" for concourse D.

Last edited by pvn; Sep 2, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
When was that? I have been going to ATL for over 20 years and Delta has been D for all of that time.
I remember in the late 90s/early 2000s DL had little to no presence in D. D was for most other airlines at ATL (except UA and AA which used the north side of T and ValueJet/AirTran in C though AirTran did use D at some point as well, and the international airlines operating out of E). D was where NW/CO/HP/YX went out of. I don’t remember which concourse TW used at ATL prior to their merger with AA. But I do remember a time when DL had little to no presence in Concourse D.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I recently flew on the A350 and one thing I noticed in the bathroom was the little ashtray on the door. Is there a reason this was added on? Smoking in planes has been banned for years. Maybe some of the experts here can shed light on this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eddie98
I recently flew on the A350 and one thing I noticed in the bathroom was the little ashtray on the door. Is there a reason this was added on? Smoking in planes has been banned for years. Maybe some of the experts here can shed light on this.
It’s still an FAA requirement (not sure about EASA req’s). Reason is the FAA knows people will still go into the bathroom to smoke (even if it is illegal) and it’s better to have an ashtray for them to put cigarettes and the ash in rather than them putting the ash and butt in the garbage bin filled with flammable material.
MSPeconomist, wxman22 and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Eddie98
Other new aircraft still have these as well, it's not just the A350.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.