Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is 1.8 million Skymiles DTW to JNB R/T a good deal for 2 passengers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 1.8 million Skymiles DTW to JNB R/T a good deal for 2 passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
So it's fine to purposefully mislead as long as there's some small point somewhere in a picture that can easily be overlooked?

Again you're putting words into people's mouths. NO one said he purposefully misled. However that doesn't change the fact that it is misleading.
You did say he purposely misled.

Anyway, for 900K a piece though, wouldn't a better redemption be buying the cash J ticket so one would at least get the MQMs (with 50% bonus) at this point?

Or if one could find partner availability, booking USA-Europe & then Europe-JNB (I opted for a booking this way when DL wanted 400K+ one-way in J on SYD-LAX but I was able to get partner redemptions on Australia/NZ to Asia and then found some 80K redemptions for Asia-USA.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I am thinking that it is time to update the terminology. The peso has been relatively stable over the past decade. I think it should be called the SkyBolivar.
I've seen "SkyDongs" used before (after the Vietnamese Dong, which is one of the most devalued currencies in the world). Right now $1 USD exchanges to ~23,300 Vietnamese Dongs.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like a ripoff to me... at cash prices thats basically 1c/mi.

Searching for those dates, you'd be better off routing through AMS and using pay with miles.
DTW-AMS-JNB routing with those same dates is 8.5k with DL metal for DTW-AMS and KL metal for AMS-JNB, so you could spend 800k miles each and still earn MQMs.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

You did say he purposely misled.

Anyway, for 900K a piece though, wouldn't a better redemption be buying the cash J ticket so one would at least get the MQMs (with 50% bonus) at this point?

Or if one could find partner availability, booking USA-Europe & then Europe-JNB (I opted for a booking this way when DL wanted 400K+ one-way in J on SYD-LAX but I was able to get partner redemptions on Australia/NZ to Asia and then found some 80K redemptions for Asia-USA.
The comment wasn't saying the OP was purposefully misleading. It was a statement/question in response to the poster I was replying to. Poster alluded to fact that while 14 words were posted you could find the info in picture and thus all would be ok. I was simply trying to point out the failed logic. If followed their logic, then someone who posts the same message as OP, but purposefully, wouldn't be wrong.

Note - mods have since modified title
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
This is true today, but I don't think it will be true in the future. Airlines could previously provide outsized value on international J/F flights because only people who'd already flown a *lot* of miles on the carrier could amass enough miles for those trips anyway — it was part of an award program that would seriously increase customer retention.

But at this point, most miles don't come from flying — they arrive via credit cards. If anybody in the country can get 70k miles by signing up for a credit card, giving away free premium-cabin long-haul flights for 70k miles becomes a much more expensive proposition than when it required sitting in the airline's planes for 14 cross-country round-trips, doesn't it?

I'm not sure if Delta's rewards program is "worse" simply because they're looking farther ahead; if more people have taken advantage of them because of Amex; or if their smaller alliance means the pain is more immediate. I am sure this is an inevitable result of the credit card rewards train all the airlines are on.
I agree with general devaluation trends but Delta will continue to be the worst because of one key fact: Delta's fleet is very J-light compared to United and American. United and American have 50-60 premium seats in their 777 fleet. Delta's new configuration has 28. On average, they will have far fewer routes with excess capacity than United or American.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ethernal
The average value of a FF mile on International J trips is much higher than 1.3 c/mile for other airlines - closer to 3-4 cents/mile on average. Delta is far and away the worst of the big three when it comes to International J redemptions - it's not even close.
The best ways to fly DL J remain becoming DM and applying GUCs, or flying them on their sale J fares ~$2K that happen regionally.

SkyMiles are optimized on domestic non-hub to hub routes, and on partner redemption internationally (at least for J). You just must accept this when joining SkyMiles, but also accept DL is more liberal with miles for problems than AA or UA, it seems.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
The best ways to fly DL J remain becoming DM and applying GUCs, or flying them on their sale J fares ~$2K that happen regionally.
GUCs don't clear - going back to the very, very limited J cabins that Delta flies. And with the removal of C+ from the fleet, it is too risky to not clear a GUC making them even less useful.

SkyMiles are optimized on domestic non-hub to hub routes, and on partner redemption internationally (at least for J). You just must accept this when joining SkyMiles,
Of course there is pricing preference for non-hubs due to the ability to abuse hub captives (and Delta's proclivity for super high market penetration hubs in ATL, MSP, DTW, and SLC). This is true with every airline - although Delta takes it to the extreme that other airlines FF programs don't.

but also accept DL is more liberal with miles for problems than AA or UA, it seems.
This is not my experience. UA is much more liberal than Delta with mile compensation. I have never once received mile comp from Delta for an issue - but I receive it proactively regularly on United. AA I may agree with as being equal to Delta on miles generosity.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:02 pm
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

Well check out what was waiting for me this morning at DTW A77. Maybe I need to complain about SkyMiles more oftern
or mislead FlyerCO more often. 🤗

wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by SSF556; Aug 21, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:14 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Strong contender for most non-sequitur post of the year
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Since Delta is asking $10,725 per ticket with cash, PWM would run you 1,072,500 miles per person. So let me run the numbers 1,072,500*2=2,143,000 > 1,800,000 + ~120.00 taxes/fees. It appears you save 343,000 miles by booking as an award, but also loose out on a lot of MQMs.
bonoman likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SSF556

Well check out what was waiting for me this morning at DTW A77. Maybe I need to complain about SkyMiles more oftern
or mislead FlyerCO more often. 🤗

Ok? Not sure what that has to do with anything? Glad you got a car ride. BTW I wasn't the only poster that felt your post was misleading. Again don't think it was done on purpose. However it still was misleading, as can be seen by mods changing title.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:37 pm
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

Ok? Not sure what that has to do with anything? Glad you got a car ride. BTW I wasn't the only poster that felt your post was misleading. Again don't think it was done on purpose. However it still was misleading, as can be seen by mods changing title.
Actually I changed the title...lighten up a little 😉
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by ethernal
Agreed, partner redemption are the only way to go on Delta these days. Which is why I brought up the "worst alliance" issue - it's no secret that SkyTeam is vastly inferior to Star Alliance and not as good at OneWorld. Still better than trying to redeem on DL obviously.
Not really. It all depends on from where to where you are going.

ST is "vastly superior" to *A and OW on many routes and in several regions, elsewhere OW options are better, elsewhere *A (though *A airline hard product is often the worst; SkyTeam is more often than not the best in flight product).
PurdueFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Not really. It all depends on from where to where you are going.

ST is "vastly superior" to *A and OW on many routes and in several regions, elsewhere OW options are better, elsewhere *A (though *A airline hard product is often the worst; SkyTeam is more often than not the best in flight product).
As a whole, Star Alliance is the best alliance. Pretty much any ranking shows this. You could potentially compare OneWorld to StarAlliance. SkyTeam is definitely not comparable. You can cherry-pick routes of course, but the number of cherries is far in *A or OW's favor.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SSF556

Actually I changed the title...lighten up a little 😉
Serious question, how can we change title? AFAIK the thread title can only be changed by the mods. Did that change recently?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.