Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is 1.8 million Skymiles DTW to JNB R/T a good deal for 2 passengers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:37 am
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

Well is it?

Last edited by SSF556; Aug 21, 2018 at 6:24 am
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Yes, and you'll like it.

Just remember, there are no blackout dates with the SkyMiles program.

​​​​​​DL Hub-JNB always prices like this round trip. Maybe not 1.9m, but always around 900K+. Looks like this is for two pax so it's pretty normal.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Considering I have AUS-LAX-FCO-JNB in J for 105k, yes it's a steal.

DL system for last few months force ATL-JNB and refuses to show routes through Europe. Agents have had to build manually.

Agree with others, title is misleading.

Last edited by flyerCO; Aug 21, 2018 at 3:59 am
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Smile

And a lovely 11h 51m layover at ATL on the outbound!
JesseRohr, Marschel and hi55us like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Misleading, for 2 pax
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
It's pretty funny that people are going to complain that this price is for 2 people, rather than focus on the fact that half of 1.8M miles is still obscene. Especially because this is not a mistake...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again -- calling them "SkyPesos" is an insult to the Peso.

Last edited by TheHorta; Aug 21, 2018 at 11:23 am
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
It's pretty funny that people are going to complain that this price is for 2 people, rather than focus on the fact that half of 1.8M miles is still obscene. Especially because this is not a mistake...
This!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:50 am

I think it's just learned helplessness. What are you going to do? SYD and JNB are both "in-name-only" premium SkyMiles destinations and have been for a long time. And, frankly, non-stops from a hub are becoming increasingly JNB-like for a lot of routes. Check out non-stops from ATL to.. anywhere in Europe. It's a sea of 400K+ redemptions - even with Saturday night stays with Tuesday departures. Maybe you can get a discount down to 350K if you're willing to fly on Thanksgiving day.

Given the smaller D1 cabins (from the already small ones), this is just going to get worse. I expect to see more routes get 1 CPM or less J equivalent going forward. Delta has made it clear they are going this route, so we probably shouldn't be surprised. The long term nail was in the coffin when the award charts were eliminated.

International travel is a huge downside to being a Delta elite relative to the other big three programs. They have the worst alliance, and the removal of C+ means few international elite benefits (it's a shame because 9 across Y is a big plus on the 777, but I can't do 31" seat pitch across the ocean). Delta doesn't seem to care that they are not competitive in this space.
Sallycat likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ethernal
I think it's just learned helplessness. What are you going to do? SYD and JNB are both "in-name-only" premium SkyMiles destinations and have been for a long time. And, frankly, non-stops from a hub are becoming increasingly JNB-like for a lot of routes. Check out non-stops from ATL to.. anywhere in Europe. It's a sea of 400K+ redemptions - even with Saturday night stays with Tuesday departures. Maybe you can get a discount down to 350K if you're willing to fly on Thanksgiving day.

Given the smaller D1 cabins (from the already small ones), this is just going to get worse. I expect to see more routes get 1 CPM or less J equivalent going forward. Delta has made it clear they are going this route, so we probably shouldn't be surprised. The long term nail was in the coffin when the award charts were eliminated.

International travel is a huge downside to being a Delta elite relative to the other big three programs. They have the worst alliance, and the removal of C+ means few international elite benefits (it's a shame because 9 across Y is a big plus on the 777, but I can't do 31" seat pitch across the ocean). Delta doesn't seem to care that they are not competitive in this space.
This may be true for Delta operated flights. However partner operated at least currently are still no where near the awfulness of DL metal. The problem is DL has set the system to purposefully steer you onto DL metal even when much better partner options exist.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

No one has done that. However if you're going to complain at least tell the full truth. Otherwise you look no better then DL with its half truths about it's mileage program.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This may be true for Delta operated flights. However partner operated at least currently are still no where near the awfulness of DL metal. The problem is DL has set the system to purposefully steer you onto DL metal even when much better partner options exist.
Agreed, partner redemption are the only way to go on Delta these days. Which is why I brought up the "worst alliance" issue - it's no secret that SkyTeam is vastly inferior to Star Alliance and not as good at OneWorld. Still better than trying to redeem on DL obviously.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:06 am

No one has done that. However if you're going to complain at least tell the full truth. Otherwise you look no better then DL with its half truths about it's mileage program.
You've complained yourself that the post is misleading. You also called the OP a complaint, when it wasn't framed in that way at all.

The OP has neither complained nor implied that this was a price for 1 seat. It's plain to see that it is for 2 people. And it's a joke.... there's no way you thought the title of this post was serious right? Lighten up!
DAL-767, apodo77, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

You've complained yourself that the post is misleading. You also called the OP a complaint, when it wasn't framed in that way at all.

The OP has neither complained nor implied that this was a price for 1 seat. It's plain to see that it is for 2 people. And it's a joke.... there's no way you thought the title of this post was serious right? Lighten up!
The OP did imply that this is for 1 passenger. Read the thread title. Nothing in that indicates 1.8 million miles is for 2 people. In fact OP never posted in the body that this was for two. You have to be paying attention and notice in the picture that the price OP stated is for 2.

Next I did complain about it being misleading. However that's not what your comment was about that I replies to. You seemed to indicate we were blowing off the being outrageous price because we took issue with post being misleading. No one did that. Only thing anyone took issue with was the fact OP was misleading by posting price for 2 and making it seem like that was the price for 1.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:53 am

You have to be paying attention
I can definitely agree with that! Maybe if everyone did that they wouldn't get so easily 'misled'.

As for the rest, well you read a lot into 14 words, when the image clearly tells the whole story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.