Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Amex "First Checked Bag Free" Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
AMEX T&C (key points bolded):
First Checked Bag Free
Benefit is limited to Basic Card Members (not Additional Card Members) with the Delta SkyMiles® Gold, Delta SkyMiles® Platinum or Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Cards. Reservation must include the Basic Card Member's SkyMiles number. Fee waiver also available for passengers traveling in the same reservation as the Basic Card Member. Maximum nine waivers per reservation. New Card Members and Card Members upgrading from another Delta SkyMiles Card product will be eligible for the checked baggage fee waiver benefit after receiving their Card from American Express. The first checked bag fee waiver will only be applied on flight segments which originate on a Delta or Delta Connection® carrier when you check-in with Delta for both a Delta marketed and Delta operated flight. Waiver is only for normal bag fee, if any, for the first checked bag that is not overweight and not oversize under Delta's applicable rules as set forth in Delta's contract of carriage. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply. See delta.com/firstbagfree for details.
  • the primary cardholder must be traveling in order for the benefit to apply. (You may be able to get waived bag fees if traveling on different reservations, and in extreme cases even different itineraries, depending on the agent)
  • you do not need to use the card to book the trip, so long as it is associated with your SkyMiles account
  • for Silver Medallions only, this stacks with the Silver benefit, for a total of two free checked bags (per posts in 2019 this used to be explicitly spelled out on the web site but I cannot find it on the current version; if you can find a mention please edit the wiki)
  • Gold and higher do not get any additional free checked bags from holding the AMEX card
There is a "Calculate Baggage Estimate" calculator on the DL Baggage & Travel Fees page which has a dropdown allowing you to indicate AMEX card status.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Somehow for me with Gold Delta AMEX does add an extra bag.

For my last 3 domestic trips with upgrades to Delta Comfort+ at check in. No seats in F cabin. And I receive 3 bags for free at check in screen (only tried using the app if that matters)

I'm checking in now for a domestic flight tomorrow evening and on the delta app I am allowed 3 bags for free. I'm PM with Gold Delta AMEX.

I don't need 3 bags but it would be nice to have 2 bags up to 70 lbs but the usual 50 is all I get.

Is this a new feature or a bug?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by mridley2
Somehow for me with Gold Delta AMEX does add an extra bag.

For my last 3 domestic trips with upgrades to Delta Comfort+ at check in. No seats in F cabin. And I receive 3 bags for free at check in screen (only tried using the app if that matters)

I'm checking in now for a domestic flight tomorrow evening and on the delta app I am allowed 3 bags for free. I'm PM with Gold Delta AMEX.

I don't need 3 bags but it would be nice to have 2 bags up to 70 lbs but the usual 50 is all I get.

Is this a new feature or a bug?
A PM receives 3 free bags, each up to 70 lb. on domestic flights. The Gold Delta AmEx is not adding anything.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...p/checked.html
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
A PM receives 3 free bags, each up to 70 lb. on domestic flights. The Gold Delta AmEx is not adding anything.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...p/checked.html
That's great to know. Thanks.

I swear that wasn't always the case. I recall asking for one time exception on a 55 lb bag just a few months ago.

Have the rules recently changed??
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Grogs
Wow, nice to see an acknowledgement that we actually exist.
Yep I found this out recently and was very happy to benefit from the 2 free bags for Silver with the DL Amex. Nice perk of the card for us Silvers
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by mridley2
That's great to know. Thanks.

I swear that wasn't always the case. I recall asking for one time exception on a 55 lb bag just a few months ago.

Have the rules recently changed??
It's 50 lb on international flights except for D1 or F.

The delta.com page I linked to above appears different from the last time I looked at it, but I don't know whether the content has changed. I rarely check any bags, and never more than one, so don't pay too much attention to the checked bag fees and limits.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:49 pm

Recently got the Gold Delta SkyMiles Amex. One of the perks is "First Checked Bag Free".
I am flying to Europe soon (Basic Economy, both flights are Delta flight numbers on Delta
metal) and want to be sure that the free baggage allowance applies. I have read through
all the fine print and don't see any exclusions for international flights, but was wondering if
anybody here can confirm this. I have many, many friends who have gotten Citibank cards
where they were promised free bags on AA flights only to find out at the airport that it only
applies to domestic flights.

Last edited by dogcanyon; Aug 10, 2018 at 12:04 am
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: DL DM
I have flown both TATL and TPAC in regular Y (main cabin) and always received a free checked bag with my Gold DL Amex card. I could be wrong, but I've never known the benefit to be limited to Domestic flights.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
AA limits the free bag benefit that comes with the Citi card to domestic (and maybe North America) only, but DL does not. The Amex Gold should get you a free bag regardless of itinerary or fare class booked.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl
AA limits the free bag benefit that comes with the Citi card to domestic (and maybe North America) only, but DL does not. The Amex Gold should get you a free bag regardless of itinerary or fare class booked.
Just make sure your card shows in your sky miles profile and your ff# is on your reservation.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Should be good if you're on Delta metal TATL, does not include the TATL Codeshares as far as I know.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:28 am

Thank you all!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:02 am

Someone else is booking a flight for me and another person using a companion flight reward. I have a Delta Skymiles card but the other travellers does not. In order to take advantage of my card's free first bag benefit do I need to be listed as the primary passenger instead of the companion, or doesn't it matter?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Teddy1119
Someone else is booking a flight for me and another person using a companion flight reward. I have a Delta Skymiles card but the other travellers does not. In order to take advantage of my card's free first bag benefit do I need to be listed as the primary passenger instead of the companion, or doesn't it matter?
Does not matter. Only thing is that your Sky miles number is in the reservation.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:46 pm

Delta Baggage fees...

I recently got a AMEX Delta Skymiles card and I guess I didn’t read the fine print about the baggage fees waived part when booking other people on it.

i just booked my wife and son on a delta flight in Late March and used the card for the payment, they don’t have a Skymiles number so I left that part blank.

However iam know going to be going with them but on a different booking made a week apart. Will I still be able to get all the bag fees waived?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by PNW_Guy
However iam know going to be going with them but on a different booking made a week apart. Will I still be able to get all the bag fees waived?
So, as you have read, the written policy is that your companions must be on the same PNR, but it is common for the checkin agent to waive that and give your entire party the same baggage waiver. Especially since you are a family and traveling together, I'm confident the agent will waive the fees, but it is not required. Make sure you check in together, that will speed things along. If you get stymied, you can ask for a supervisor.

Welcome to FT, PNW_Guy, we hope you stick around, learn some stuff and make some friends!
brenyes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.