Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Amex "First Checked Bag Free" Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
AMEX T&C (key points bolded):
First Checked Bag Free
Benefit is limited to Basic Card Members (not Additional Card Members) with the Delta SkyMiles® Gold, Delta SkyMiles® Platinum or Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Cards. Reservation must include the Basic Card Member's SkyMiles number. Fee waiver also available for passengers traveling in the same reservation as the Basic Card Member. Maximum nine waivers per reservation. New Card Members and Card Members upgrading from another Delta SkyMiles Card product will be eligible for the checked baggage fee waiver benefit after receiving their Card from American Express. The first checked bag fee waiver will only be applied on flight segments which originate on a Delta or Delta Connection® carrier when you check-in with Delta for both a Delta marketed and Delta operated flight. Waiver is only for normal bag fee, if any, for the first checked bag that is not overweight and not oversize under Delta's applicable rules as set forth in Delta's contract of carriage. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply. See delta.com/firstbagfree for details.
  • the primary cardholder must be traveling in order for the benefit to apply. (You may be able to get waived bag fees if traveling on different reservations, and in extreme cases even different itineraries, depending on the agent)
  • you do not need to use the card to book the trip, so long as it is associated with your SkyMiles account
  • for Silver Medallions only, this stacks with the Silver benefit, for a total of two free checked bags (per posts in 2019 this used to be explicitly spelled out on the web site but I cannot find it on the current version; if you can find a mention please edit the wiki)
  • Gold and higher do not get any additional free checked bags from holding the AMEX card
There is a "Calculate Baggage Estimate" calculator on the DL Baggage & Travel Fees page which has a dropdown allowing you to indicate AMEX card status.
Print Wikipost

Delta Amex "First Checked Bag Free" Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by zip10001
Mother in law has the Amex Delta Gold card. If she buys Delta tickets for daughter and I, will we get the first bag fee waived? She will not be traveling with us.
Thanks
Originally Posted by Zorak
You will have to pay the bag fee -- the card member needs to be traveling to get the benefit.
+1

Think of the "first bag free" Amex benefit as an attribute of the SkyMiles account that is tied to a qualifying DL Amex card. If you think of it that way, it makes sense. It does not matter how a ticket is paid for. It only matters whether there is an individual traveler in a reservation who's SkyMiles account is tied to a qualifying DL Amex card. If MIL is the only person holding a qualifying DL Amex, and neither of the two people traveling in a reservation themselves hold a qualifying DL Amex tied to their own SkyMiles accounts, there is no "first bag free" benefit.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by zip10001
Mother in law has the Amex Delta Gold card. If she buys Delta tickets for daughter and I, will we get the first bag fee waived? She will not be traveling with us.
Thanks
No. It is only for the cardholder and any passengers on the same reservation.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Thanks FT team for the prompt answers
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:09 pm

1st bag free *before* receiving the AmEx Delta Gold card?

I just applied & got approved for the AmEx Delta Gold card today. And we have an already booked flight in 3 days, until which it is impossible to receive the physical card.
I did get however the instant card number.. not sure if that matters. From what I can see in delta.com on "My SkyMiles" page (left side, below the side menu), it shows the following, so it seems it knows that I am a gold card member already. Not sure what the 'Eligible For' means, maybe it should also show '1st bag free' ?

"Delta SkyMiles Gold Card Member
Eligible For:
Pay with Miles"

I checked my spouse's skymiles account and at the very same page, it has the following (eg, clearly not a delta card member):
"EARN MORE MILES. Earn 3X miles on Delta purchases and at hotels with the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card.Terms apply. APPLY NOW"

What do you think, will I be able to check in the 1st bags for free (I am on the same confirmation number trip as my spouse and my skymiles nr. is attached to the itinerary) without the card ?! Do they usually ask for the card at check-in to make the 1st bags (for me + each companion) free? Or if not, could it be a problem that the physical card has not been activated yet?

Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by szab100
What do you think, will I be able to check in the 1st bags for free (I am on the same confirmation number trip as my spouse and my skymiles nr. is attached to the itinerary) without the card ?! Do they usually ask for the card at check-in to make the 1st bags (for me + each companion) free? Or if not, could it be a problem that the physical card has not been activated yet?
As long as you used your SkyMiles number when applying, I think you should be good. It’s not quite the same, but I remember when I applied for the Delta Reserve card and hadn’t received it yet. I went to the SC and asked if they could look me up, and the agent said it should be associated with my membership number. He scanned my boarding pass, and it showed up. I would assume the same would work for the baggage fee.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
I just applied & got approved for the AmEx Delta Gold card today. And we have an already booked flight in 3 days, until which it is impossible to receive the physical card.
I did get however the instant card number.. not sure if that matters. From what I can see in delta.com on "My SkyMiles" page (left side, below the side menu), it shows the following, so it seems it knows that I am a gold card member already. Not sure what the 'Eligible For' means, maybe it should also show '1st bag free' ?

Eligible For:
Pay with Miles"

I checked my spouse's skymiles account and at the very same page, it has the following (eg, clearly not a delta card member):
"EARN MORE MILES. Earn 3X miles on Delta purchases and at hotels with the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card.Terms apply. APPLY NOW"

Thanks!
Sometimes it takes a couple of days to fully link up your AmEx and SkyMiles account, but if it’s showing you eligible for Pay With Miles, then I would guess you will be eligible. You’ll know at Check-in if you select to check bags it will tell you if you owe anything for the first bag. Don’t rely on the baggage fees listed on confirmation emails or confirmation pages—even as a Silver Medallion with AmEx (getting two free bags) those usually say I have to pay for the bags.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:10 am

If 2 passengers on the same PNR both have separate DL AMEX cards themselves (not merely authorized user) do they get 2 free bags each?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:39 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Here's a few things that have worked for me and my family members and friends. This is not a policy and was only our experiences so don't expect this to happen to you.

Scenario 1: I am traveling with a family member or friend, and we are on separate reservations. I walk up to the ticket counter and explain I am a SkyMiles AMEX cardholder and I was wondering if my friend could use that benefit even though we are on separate reservations. 9 times out of 10 the agent has no issue waiving the bag fee.

Scenario 2: A family member is traveling by themselves and would like a free checked bag. I added the family member as an authorized user on my account. They now have a physical card. They show up to the ticket counter and request a free checked bag. This hasn't been as successful, but in my experience it's been 75% successful. Of course I'm not going to add just anyone to my credit card account because I'm on the hook for any charges they rack up. But the few times I've done this, it has worked.

I know this is relying on a nice and helpful agent...which I have had no problem finding but I realize not every agent will be willing to be this accommodating. Most of the time, we try to put everyone on the same reservation, but sometimes it's easier for each person to pay for their own tickets.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM

Eligible For:
Pay with Miles"

Thanks!
"First Bag Free" is an attribute of the SkyMiles account. Since your SkyMiles account shows that you hold an eligible Amex card, you get the benefit automatically. You don't ever have to show the physical card to get the First Bag Free benefit.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:21 pm

I'm glad I found this forum. I have AMEX Gold Delta card.
Question about this flight: ORD-JFK-CDG-WAW where first two legs are operated by Delta, the last one from Paris to Warsaw by Air France. Do I qualify for a free checked bag? Thanks for info!
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:09 pm

Delta Gold Card w/ free checked bag

Hello, I have the Delta Gold card which provides the benefit of first checked bag free. I assume that I will get this perk if I book a basic economy ticket (which normally would NOT come with a free checked bag) as long as I use the gold card to book the flight? If someone could confirm that would be great. Thank you all!
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Yes indeed.
Travis123 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Travis123
Hello, I have the Delta Gold card which provides the benefit of first checked bag free. I assume that I will get this perk if I book a basic economy ticket (which normally would NOT come with a free checked bag) as long as I use the gold card to book the flight? If someone could confirm that would be great. Thank you all!
You don't need to use the Delta Gold card to book the flight. You just need to have it issued in your name with your SkyMiles number. This is different from UA, which requires you to book the flight using the Chase United Explorer to get the free bag perk.
krazykanuck and Travis123 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
You don't need to use the Delta Gold card to book the flight. You just need to have it issued in your name with your SkyMiles number. This is different from UA, which requires you to book the flight using the Chase United Explorer to get the free bag perk.
thank you very much! appreciate it
Old Jul 17, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by Behemoth
I'm glad I found this forum. I have AMEX Gold Delta card.
Question about this flight: ORD-JFK-CDG-WAW where first two legs are operated by Delta, the last one from Paris to Warsaw by Air France. Do I qualify for a free checked bag? Thanks for info!
Yes, if you are checking in with Delta at O'Hare, you should get a free checked bag. I don't think you get a free bag on the return because you'll be checking in at WAW with Air France, not with Delta. This could differ if the roundtrip airfare you purchased included a checked bag. Then you'll get one anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.