Wiki Posts
Search

Las-Dtw

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond
Las-Dtw

My wife and I were upgraded several days ago to 1A and 1B for the red eye tonight. I downloaded our boarding passes this morning. We were looking forward to spending the last few hours of our vacation together. Just now I noticed the seating chart has us in 1A and 1D. How could this happen. Did someone with higher status decide they didn’t want their window seat? In the past when I try to correct the problem at the gate the GA says to ask others if they mind moving. Why is this my problem. I understand that we were upgraded and didn’t pay for the seats, but how can they change confirmed seats?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Madaldad
My wife and I were upgraded several days ago to 1A and 1B for the red eye tonight. I downloaded our boarding passes this morning. We were looking forward to spending the last few hours of our vacation together. Just now I noticed the seating chart has us in 1A and 1D. How could this happen. Did someone with higher status decide they didn’t want their window seat? In the past when I try to correct the problem at the gate the GA says to ask others if they mind moving. Why is this my problem. I understand that we were upgraded and didn’t pay for the seats, but how can they change confirmed seats?
Could be FAM or same type aircraft equipment swap (happens all the time - its Delta).

Its a red eye. I would sit in 1B and hold your BP for 1D and when 1B arrives ask nice if you can sit with your wife. My guess is person will say no problem and off to ZZZZ you go!

PS - Welcome to FT!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
but how can they change confirmed seats?
The airlines change seats for "operational reasons" all the time. It could be a broken seat 1B, or an air marshal, or the pilot's buddy (last one tongue in cheek).

Rather than Rene's suggestion of a mild seat-poaching, I'd propose a slightly different approach. I would board near the end of Sky Priority, hoping that 1B and 1C are already there, so you can ask if either minds swapping to a window seat so you and your wife can sit together. No guarantees (I dislike windows, and my wife dislikes aisles so we sometimes fly in separate rows), but it's an inoffensive request.

It isn't like those guys who ask if you'll give up your C+ seat for Row 22A, so his wife can move up next to him (that sort of guy never asks 22B if they'll swap for his C+ seat!, but I digress).
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond
You were right gig, the seat is broken. We will ask 1C if they would like to move to 1A and get lots of room.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You were right gig, the seat is broken. We will ask 1C if they would like to move to 1A and get lots of room.
Just FYI for future. Disabled passengers with a fused/immobile knee has the right to sit in bulkhead seat that best works for them.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
Could be there is going to be an air marshal flying on that flight...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tvelinsk
Could be there is going to be an air marshal flying on that flight...
Except the OP confirmed hours ago it was a broken seat. Great reading comprehension nonetheless.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Air marshals don't usually take row 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.