Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Frequent RT Bay area - BUF, best route to get upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent RT Bay area - BUF, best route to get upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Bay Area - SEA is easy, but that doesn't really help the OP since one would still have to connect somewhere else to get to BUF.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
I am diamond and can't even get an upgrade with a RUC into SFO.
Duke787 and SJC ORD LDR like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Bay Area - SEA is easy, but that doesn't really help the OP since one would still have to connect somewhere else to get to BUF.
OP needs to add SFO/SJC-BUF to the other thread
Duke787, SJC ORD LDR and ryw like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:58 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by estedman
I am diamond and can't even get an upgrade with a RUC into SFO.
This is definitely the case for SFO-ATL and v/v. MSP seems to be the easiest out of MSP/DTW/ATL.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:33 am

Look at the bright side: with a commute like that, you’ll be close or over the Plat threshold.

On the other hand: complimentary upgrades for Platinums still don’t happen on any long haul non stops out of SFO.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
Look at the bright side: with a commute like that, you’ll be close or over the Plat threshold.

On the other hand: complimentary upgrades for Platinums still don’t happen on any long haul non stops out of SFO.
Heck, it's difficult for a Diamond to get an upgrade out of SFO to ATL even using a RUC. SJC is a bit easier, but that's still difficult to do. Now that you really don't see the 763 with its 30 F seats anymore and they took 4 F seats out of the 752, comp upgrades have become very difficult.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Originally Posted by superpanjy
I am a newly GM.
Due to work, I will travel almost every other two weeks from bay area to BUF in the next three months. SFO is my first choice, but SJC is good to me too.
I normally book ticket through Concur 3-4 days before travel. Based on travel policy, I can choose airlines, but not ticket class code.
What's the best route I should take to get upgrade in the long haul flights?

Thank you.
Can't help with the upgrades, but if you need any recommendations while you're in BUF feel free to shoot me a PM
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Heck, it's difficult for a Diamond to get an upgrade out of SFO to ATL even using a RUC. SJC is a bit easier, but that's still difficult to do. Now that you really don't see the 763 with its 30 F seats anymore and they took 4 F seats out of the 752, comp upgrades have become very difficult.
I actually find SJC to be a tougher upgrade than SFO, but it is probably route and time dependent. SFO tends to have more Diamonds on the route, but usually doesn't leave F0. SJC has slightly fewer Diamonds but almost always seems to be F0 or (at best) F1 at the gate.

The other benefit SJC has it that they run more 738s with lots of C+ seating - there is actually a small chance of snagging a C+ seat if you book 8-9 days in advance (as opposed to no shot flying into SFO on a 752 or 739).

Either way, the point remains.. a RUC as a Diamond probably only gives you a 20-30% chance of a upgrade (assuming you're on a high fare class) - certainly no guarantee at all.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
actually only a handful of the 757s went from 24F to 20F ... most were 26F
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
There's just lots of really rich people in the bay. My guess is that a majority of those F seats are being sold in advance. Remember that the region is full of engineers who make a half million a year in cash starting. It's the same reason the housing market is so insane.

OP I would just take the SFO-JFK flight & then connect in JFK because the inflight service & equipment will be the best for the long flight. You will get free meals in coach, several options for wide-body a/c that are IMO more comfortable, even better options in C+ (which you can choose in advance after you are PM) and chances are you will score a rare upgrade every now and then, and they are the very best on this route.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If travel is basically consuming the OP's entire day, an additional connection might be acceptable providing that it offers a good plan B for IROPs.

I agree that Saturday flights would give the best chances. Also, OP can pick RUCs for the DM choice benefit and use them to score a few upgrades.

It might be better to focus on the upgrade odds of various BUF-XXX and YYY-BUF shorter connecting flights and plan to sit in coach on the longer segments unless RUCs can be used.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by superpanjy
I am a newly GM.
Due to work, I will travel almost every other two weeks from bay area to BUF in the next three months. SFO is my first choice, but SJC is good to me too.
I normally book ticket through Concur 3-4 days before travel. Based on travel policy, I can choose airlines, but not ticket class code.
What's the best route I should take to get upgrade in the long haul flights?

Thank you.
If I were you, I'd try the SFO-BOS-BUF route while they still have D1 on there. And check those legs individually. SFO-BOS + BOS-BUF might be cheaper than SFO-BOS-BUF on one itinerary. All DL routes through BOS these days are pretty cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.