Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Frequent RT Bay area - BUF, best route to get upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

I am a newly GM.
Due to work, I will travel almost every other two weeks from bay area to BUF in the next three months. SFO is my first choice, but SJC is good to me too.
I normally book ticket through Concur 3-4 days before travel. Based on travel policy, I can choose airlines, but not ticket class code.
What's the best route I should take to get upgrade in the long haul flights?

Thank you.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
As a GM, it is unlikely that you will get an upgrade on any of your SFO/SJC legs. Your best bet may be to fly into LAX if it is at more off-hours as your long haul (if that is an option) and then fly LAX->SFO. Barring IRROPS or flying at super dead times, your next best bet is SLC, then DTW or JFK - MSP and especially ATL are not going to happen.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by superpanjy
I am a newly GM.
Due to work, I will travel almost every other two weeks from bay area to BUF in the next three months. SFO is my first choice, but SJC is good to me too.
I normally book ticket through Concur 3-4 days before travel. Based on travel policy, I can choose airlines, but not ticket class code.
What's the best route I should take to get upgrade in the long haul flights?

Thank you.
Out of the bay area on DL? Forget it....

Though as I'm sure others will tell you, if you want any shot at all, avoid ATL like the plague. You're only other options would be DTW, MSP, or JFK if you want a 1-stop itinerary, so DTW/MSP would comparatively be the easiest though still almost impossible. DTW/MSP-BUF are also likely to be easier than ATL-BUF FWIW

You're only advantage would be the 3 day booking window, which if booked less than 72 hours before your flight, you can click on "view upgrade eligibility" on Delta.com to see what flights where you could immediately be upgraded after booking...though I'd venture to guess those would be few and far between.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

I forgot to mention in the fist post.
Normally, I fly out in in Sunday afternoon from bay area, and return either Friday afternoon or Saturday early morning.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Normally, I fly out in in Sunday afternoon from bay area, and return either Friday afternoon or Saturday early morning.
I would plan on riding in Y except on the occasional Saturday flight.

Also if you book into Basic Economy (not sure how Concur works) you won't even be eligible for an upgrade.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM
Yup, pretty much the same time as everyone else looking for an upgrade (maybe not Saturday morning as much). Don't get your hopes up.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by apodo77
seconded ... you may be able to score C+ on some segments, but I'd be willing to bet that most of those will be middle seats
Also if you book into Basic Economy (not sure how Concur works) you won't even be eligible for an upgrade.
my company's Concur portal actually offered me a BE fare ... luckily I was able to adjust the preferred arrival/departure time windows to get rid of it
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Don't want to burst your bubble but I've flown out to SFO about 8 times in the past 6 months as FO and GM and have never even come close to clearing the F list on any day of the week except for one time SLC - SFO on a Thursday night (but that's not the flight you care about). ATL/JFK don't even think about it, DTW a tiny bit higher chance, and MSP probably the highest chance.

In fact I have a hard time clearing the C+ list (especially non-completion) and that's with expensive last minute corporate fares.

This is definitely a WFBF route which I've done a couple times when the last minute Y fare was within $125 of the F fare and I just did an upfare (since corporate only allows Y).
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Very, very small chance on those Sunday afternoon flights. Just book whatever works best timing-wise (and, if you're booking 3 days out, book anything that will let you select C+ and/or a decent exit seat).

Friday afternoon/Saturday morning is a bit better. Back when I lived in the Bay Area, I had decent luck on MSP-SFO and DTW-SFO flights on Friday evenings. ATL-SFO, not a snowball's chance in hell.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

No E class, most of time in between H to M.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

After 2 trips, about 12K MQM, I will become PM. Am I seeing big difference in terms of upgrading to the front?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
After 2 trips, about 12K MQM, I will become PM. Am I seeing big difference in terms of upgrading to the front?
Probably not. If you hit Diamond, then on the relatively high fare buckets you seem to be buying, you might actually have pretty good success on your return portion.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
CVG-SFO is your best bet. Will require two stops though, I believe.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by koreanair720
CVG-SFO is your best bet. Will require two stops though, I believe.
the schedule won't work (redeye eastbound, which isn't in OP's stated travel plan; earliest BUF-XXX-CVG arrivals are ~1000 which is after the westbound nonstop departs)
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
CVG has some great Delta people but it doesn't have enough destinations (or enough frequencies on some of its destinations) to be particularly useful as a Delta hub. It's not 2005 anymore.

Delta Cuts 157 Flights at Kentucky Airport | AviationPros.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.