Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to fly nonstop between its Detroit hub and San Jose, Calif., effective Nov. 15

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to fly nonstop between its Detroit hub and San Jose, Calif., effective Nov. 15

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Southwest Rapid Rewards

https://news.delta.com/delta-fly-non...fective-nov-15Delta will debut year-round service linking Silicon Valley and the Motor City on Nov. 15. This route will provide the only nonstop service between Detroit Wayne County Metropolitan Airport and Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport. ........(more)
Gerbs and McGowan06 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:11 am

Previously noted:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...k-oak-lax.html
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Color me moderately amazed that this route didn't already exist.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Which would require someone who cares about DTW-SJC route starting to read a thread about another route cut they may not care about and then while reading that thread, come across that post, versus coming across this clearly marked title easy to find in the DL Forum homepage.

Good news for DTW and SJC though. ^
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
It's about freakin' time.
HohoGAP likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Let's see when this route is going to be canceled...

(Note - before the merger, VX ceased its SJC operation and moved back to SFO. UA only has minimal presence. Some international routes have been discontinued. I simply don't see how DL can profit from this route.)
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by garykung

(Note - before the merger, VX ceased its SJC operation and moved back to SFO. UA only has minimal presence. Some international routes have been discontinued. I simply don't see how DL can profit from this route.)
Which? (Not doubting the veracity, just curious)

Pretty damn surprising given proximity to the tech colussess down the street...
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Color me moderately amazed that this route didn't already exist.
Same here. I've been flying to/from SJC often since January (and quite a few times for the last few years), and I just assumed that all the connections through ATL and MSP were coincidence.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN

That's not apples-to-apples at all, though. VX ceased its SJC operation because it was stealing from a hub operation at SFO. UA keeps a minimal presence because they're focused on a huge hub operation at SFO. This is somewhat similar to UA not serving HOU/MDW/JFK and AA not serving DAL/MDW due to their internal competition with a nearby hub. DL, on the other hand, maintains service to all of those airports.

DL also has been running the point-to-point SJC-LAS route, added JFK service, committed to a quality product and competitive schedule to SEA/LAX, and has steadily increased frequencies on ATL/MSP over the past couple years. That doesn't make it a guarantee that SJC-DTW is a winner, but it's definitely an indication that DL isn't de-emphasizing SJC.

While "some international routes have been discontinued," the only one of particular note is the low frequency Air China service on SJC-PVG. While it's an unfortunate service to lose, it was always a sketchy proposition - Air China offers virtually zero intra-China connectivity over PVG, so this route is forced to live almost strictly on O&D in the shadow of a plethora of other Star Alliance TPAC service up at SFO (including Air China service to its far superior PEK hub). All indications are that ANA (to NRT) and Hainan (to PEK) are strong performers. Lufthansa (to FRA) is probably still likely a fringe performer, though it's a good sign that the route is surviving a transition from CityLine to mainline LH service. British Airways (to LHR) seems to be relatively pleased with route performance.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Nice add. Useful as an additional outlet if flights are delayed from SFO to get back to the East Coast
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold

Wow, are you really cynical, or just trolling? While it's true there have been a few false starts, for each of those there have been at least 10 successful new route introductions at SJC. SJC has been the fastest growing airport in the US for each of the past few years. DL has also had a decent build up at SJC, with ATL going from 1x to 3x and new routes to JFK, LAS and SEA added recently. Plus significant up-gauges on every other route at SJC.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
What a bizarre press release. DTW is not a primary hub to Europe. It's the primary hub to AMS...

JFK and ATL have much better service to Europe.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by steex
British Airways (to LHR) seems to be relatively pleased with route performance.
While I have no data on hand, I don't believe BA SJC-LHR is doing as good as most think.

If the demand was high enough within the Bay Area, BA did not to cancel OAK-LHR.

I do believe SJC-LHR is on the chopping board.

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Wow, are you really cynical, or just trolling? While it's true there have been a few false starts, for each of those there have been at least 10 successful new route introductions at SJC. SJC has been the fastest growing airport in the US for each of the past few years. DL has also had a decent build up at SJC, with ATL going from 1x to 3x and new routes to JFK, LAS and SEA added recently. Plus significant up-gauges on every other route at SJC.
I am being reasonable.

If the demand from the Bay Area to Detroit is really that high, why not AS or especially WN have their own nonstop Detroit routes?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
What a bizarre press release. DTW is not a primary hub to Europe. It's the primary hub to AMS...

JFK and ATL have much better service to Europe.
With more than 400 daily departures, Detroit is the primary connecting hub for San Jose customers to the U.S. Northeast and Europe.
This says Detroit is the primary connecting hub for San Jose customers to the U.S. Northeast and Europe. Not the the best hub for connecting to Europe for all passengers everywhere. Obviously JFK and ATL are better. But perhaps timings and logistical position make Detroit better for San Jose customers.

If the demand from the Bay Area to Detroit is really that high, why not AS or especially WN have their own nonstop Detroit routes?
Because it's not just Detroit involved. It's also all the connection traffic through Detroit that AS and WN can't offer.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
While I have no data on hand, I don't believe BA SJC-LHR is doing as good as most think.

If the demand was high enough within the Bay Area, BA did not to cancel OAK-LHR.

I do believe SJC-LHR is on the chopping board.

I am being reasonable.

Because AS and WN don't have any feed on the DTW side to help with the flight?

This flight is perfectly reasonable as a connection flight for those of us on the east coast who need to get to the South Bay or encounter weather issues with SFO and are looking for an alternative

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.