Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is Delta Permanently Cutting LAX-OAK and OAK-LAX?

Old Jul 29, 18, 9:57 am
Original Poster

I got a flood of emails yesterday about schedule changes for my most-travelled routes: LAX to OAK and OAK to LAX.

As best I can tell, non-stops between Oakland and Los Angeles end on September 30, 2018, and there are no further ones for the sporadic dates I checked through the end of the schedule.

Delta re-routed me through Salt Lake City each way, making the flight trip longer than driving.

Needless to say, I'm pretty unhappy. This is a short flight, and the airports are very convenient for me. For me to fly into SFO and drive back to the Oakland area adds way too much time to make that realistic. Same for San Jose. And, of course, Oakland is a small airport that makes for a very fast transit, both getting to the gate, and getting in and out of the airport.

It looks like I'll need to rebook all of these upcoming flights with Southwest.

Anyone know what's up with this change? Any chance it's just temporary while they re-work the schedule?

Last edited by josephstern; Jul 29, 18 at 3:50 pm Reason: typos
Old Jul 29, 18, 10:01 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
I got a flood of emails yesterday about schedule changes for my most-travelled routes: LAX to OAK and OAK to LAX.

As best I can tell, non-stops between Oakland and Los Angeles end on September 30, 2018, and there are no further ones for the sporadic dates I checked through the end of the schedule.

Delta re-routed me through Salt Lake City each way, making the flight trip longer than driving.

Needless to say, I'm pretty unhappy. This is a short flight, and the airports are very convenient for me. For me to fly into SFO and drive back to the Oakland area adds way to much time to make that realistic. Same for San Jose. And. of course, Oakland is a small airport that makes for a very fast transit, both getting to the gate, and getting in and out of the airport.

It looks like I'll need to rebook all of these upcoming flights with Southwest.

Anyone know what's up with this change? Any chance it's just temporary while they re-work the schedule?
Looks like it’s being cut but in lieu of it, more SLC-OAK flights are being added.
Old Jul 29, 18, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Wow this is a huge bummer and is going to make me reconsider my DL flying. I live 15 minutes from OAK and (apart from SFO-JFK) most all of my DL flying has involved an OAK-LAX routing.

SLC is no substitute at all for my travel patterns.
ryw likes this.
Old Jul 29, 18, 10:09 am

Programs: DL Plat
seems this past saturday was particularly bad for dl elites in the east bay, between this and sfo-bos being downgraded to regular domestic service
Old Jul 29, 18, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by runningformqm View Post
seems this past saturday was particularly bad for dl elites in the east bay, between this and sfo-bos being downgraded to regular domestic service
DTW-SJC is being added FWIW, but lots of cuts for the Bay Area lately.
Old Jul 29, 18, 10:33 am

That's weird because the last flights I made from OAK to LAX did not involve that scale in SLC, and I have searched and still do not appear those scales but direct flights with DL
Old Jul 29, 18, 10:49 am

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
I'm guessing this is a hard route for DL to make money on, but I do feel bad for east bay folks as getting to SFO is not fun. This also follows DL cutting west coast shuttle service on all routes, including on SFO-LAX.
Old Jul 29, 18, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Wow this is a huge bummer and is going to make me reconsider my DL flying. I live 15 minutes from OAK and (apart from SFO-JFK) most all of my DL flying has involved an OAK-LAX routing.

SLC is no substitute at all for my travel patterns.
As a new-ish DL flyer, this sucks.

I wonder if this has been exacerbated by the dire terminal and airfield congestion issue @ LAX. The last trip involved an hour-plus sitting near the runway @ OAK awaiting a hopeful earlier take off slot that never materialized. If they're adding more SLC, they must have figured that they can get many of their OAK passengers to their destination w/o an LAX connection.

Over the years, OAK provides us with nothing but heartbreak. PS and OC - gone. US and AA gutted them and we lost all our west coast routes. UA - once a great route selection out of OAK, now gone. HP, frequent to LAS and PHX, gutted by US. AS to SNA, gone. This doesn't begin to be a comprehensive list. Finally I was able to get on a mainline-ish hop to LAX that wasn't WN, where I could have my bags connect without a shlep from T1 and a re-check. Yes, I'm going through 30 years of history, but the hits keep coming. I figure that DL could fill up a couple of OAK/ATL a day without losing money. But no. This is making many OAK trips on DL into 3 segments.
jinglish and ryw like this.
Old Jul 29, 18, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Finally I was able to get on a mainline-ish hop to LAX that wasn't WN, where I could have my bags connect without a shlep from T1 and a re-check.
Exactly!

I should have known there was a problem when I was able to get F on my last OAK-LAX RT for only $290. And I suspect you're right the LAX terminal and runway situation may also have impacted this decision.

I'm already booked for Plat this year, but not sure it will be worth the effort next year if this flight's gone.
Old Jul 29, 18, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post

When was this announced/happening? I am bummed about D1 SFO-BOS going away but this is a reasonable tradeoff for me.
Old Jul 29, 18, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jj243 View Post

When was this announced/happening? I am bummed about D1 SFO-BOS going away but this is a reasonable tradeoff for me.
It is starting in November as a daytime Dtw-Sjc-Dtw run on a 738. There is a post on airliners.net that tracks frequency/route adds and deletes weekly. Give it a day or two to appear in the schedule.
Old Jul 29, 18, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
It is starting in November as a daytime Dtw-Sjc-Dtw run on a 738. There is a post on airliners.net that tracks frequency/route adds and deletes weekly. Give it a day or two to appear in the schedule.
It’s already loaded on DL.com.
jj243 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 18, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post

Sfo is much closer for me than sjc, unless you live fremont or south getting to sjc can take a very long time. Oak was more convient but I still use sfo for most of my flights as oak requires 2 connections usually vs 1 connection from sfo. It was still nice having the oak-lax flight though.
Old Jul 29, 18, 2:25 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
This is very disappointing. I'm in the East Bay too - being located about 25 minutes from OAK, coupled with the ease of getting in and out of SFO, it's been much more preferable for me to use it as my primary airport - even with the LAX connection for trans cons (rather than go out of SFO).

I suppose it's a highly competitive route, but I would have hoped there'd be enough connecting traffic in LAX to make it worth it. In some ideal world, I'd love to see DL (re)introduce OAK-SEA to maintain some west coast coverage from the east bay, but I don't see either of those happening as Southwest and Alaska have a pretty heavy presence on that route.

Agreed that SLC won't make sense for all of my travel patterns - I might end up shifting more west coast/mid-continental flights to WN instead.
Old Jul 29, 18, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by ryw View Post
This is very disappointing. I'm in the East Bay too - being located about 25 minutes from OAK, coupled with the ease of getting in and out of SFO, it's been much more preferable for me to use it as my primary airport - even with the LAX connection for trans cons (rather than go out of SFO).

I suppose it's a highly competitive route, but I would have hoped there'd be enough connecting traffic in LAX to make it worth it. In some ideal world, I'd love to see DL (re)introduce OAK-SEA to maintain some west coast coverage from the east bay, but I don't see either of those happening as Southwest and Alaska have a pretty heavy presence on that route.

Agreed that SLC won't make sense for all of my travel patterns - I might end up shifting more west coast/mid-continental flights to WN instead.
Only NK and WN fly OAK-LAX and DL dosenít really see NK as a competitor, so WN will have a basic monopoly on this route once DL cuts it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: