Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kicked out of C+ due to PS re-config

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Can't imagine burning GUCs for PS. Is that what DL is trying to get us to do, and protect D1 even from DMs?

PS isn't usually much more than Y on most of the flights I've seen -- though it has been an admittedly small sample in my case.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Can't imagine burning GUCs for PS. Is that what DL is trying to get us to do, and protect D1 even from DMs?

PS isn't usually much more than Y on most of the flights I've seen -- though it has been an admittedly small sample in my case.
The documentation that I have seen indicates that you must choose which seat you want to be upgraded to.
In other words:
Y > D1: 1 GUC *or*
Y > PS: 1 GUC *or*
PS > D1: 1 GUC *or*
Y > PS > D1: 2 GUC

So you could buy Y and use a cert to upgrade to PS. Or, you could buy Y and use a cert to upgrade to D1. Or, you could buy PS and use a cert to upgrade to D1. But if you buy Y and use a cert to get to PS, you need another one to get to there from D1.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

Any chance you are confusing Comfort+ with Premium Select? PS seats are basically the same as domestic first class seats but with leg rests. The service is comparable to domestic first class. Comfort+ is just like coach but with a few more inches of leg room.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Any chance you are confusing Comfort+ with Premium Select? PS seats are basically the same as domestic first class seats but with leg rests. The service is comparable to domestic first class. Comfort+ is just like coach but with a few more inches of leg room.
The last couple of times I looked (it's been a few months), DTW>NRT was ~$1,800 in Y and ~$2,400 in PS on an A350. Granted, that's a small sample size, but it seems like there might be a roughly 50% premium or less for PS over Y, which seems relatively insignificant.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:43 pm

The last couple of times I looked (it's been a few months), DTW>NRT was ~$1,800 in Y and ~$2,400 in PS on an A350. Granted, that's a small sample size, but it seems like there might be a roughly 50% premium or less for PS over Y, which seems relatively insignificant.

Oh sorry, I misread your post. I thought you meant that PS was not much better than Y, but you were talking about price.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
PS seats are basically the same as domestic first class seats but with leg rests.
This is a myth that needs to die... they aren't even equivalent to F seats in an MD-88/90 in terms of size. How Delta pulled this marketing wizardry where people believe PS is equivalent to a domestic F seat I will never understand.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
This is a myth that needs to die... they aren't even equivalent to F seats in an MD-88/90 in terms of size. How Delta pulled this marketing wizardry where people believe PS is equivalent to a domestic F seat I will never understand.

This is where we will need to agree to disagree. I understand that the seats are a couple of inches narrower, but in my opinion, everything else is highly comparable.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:32 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Can you elaborate on the actual difference? I mean I get they aren't as wide but what's the experience like?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by pvn
Can you elaborate on the actual difference? I mean I get they aren't as wide but what's the experience like?
They are significantly more narrow (and there are middle seats which makes the narrower seat width even more of an issue).

I don't really care about the "experience" - I think whether food is served on plastic or ceramic is pretty inconsequential.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:52 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
No, I mean the experience of actually sitting in the seat. I can read the dimensions myself but I haven't had a chance to put my butt in one yet.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:55 am

They are significantly more narrow (and there are middle seats which makes the narrower seat width even more of an issue).

I don't really care about the "experience" - I think whether food is served on plastic or ceramic is pretty inconsequential.

They are 10% narrower, that does not count as "significantly more narrow" in my book. But maybe for you. I think your point about middle seats is fair, but since most seats are not middle seats they can rather easily be avoided.

The food is not just served on china, it's actually J class food from the same menu as D1 but with one tray service and not all of the options. I still think that, for someone who us trying to understand what this product is, explaining that it is very similar to domestic F is probably the best way to go.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
They are 10% narrower, that does not count as "significantly more narrow" in my book. But maybe for you. I think your point about middle seats is fair, but since most seats are not middle seats they can rather easily be avoided.

The food is not just served on china, it's actually J class food from the same menu as D1 but with one tray service and not all of the options. I still think that, for someone who us trying to understand what this product is, explaining that it is very similar to domestic F is probably the best way to go.
For some strange reason though everything but drinks is served in glassware. I don't understand the reason for cutting glass cups from PS.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by pvn
No, I mean the experience of actually sitting in the seat. I can read the dimensions myself but I haven't had a chance to put my butt in one yet.
The dimensions are a bit smaller (in terms of actual space per seat) than the much derided 763 Domestic config. I'm sure they have altered the seat padding and back support a bit, but it should be a comparable experience size-wise. The foot rest may make a difference for some but I am too tall to use the foot rest (unless the Delta version is radically different than other configs I've been on) so that isn't much help to me.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:04 am

10% more narrow? That is not accurate at all. The seat width perhaps, but the total space per seat is much less than domestic F. The arm rests on Premium Select are significantly more narrow than in F - unless you are both petite, you and your neighbor will be playing elbows (although obviously not to the extent that you do in Y).

While it is not entirely apt since on narrowbodies the F aisle is a bit wider, keep in mind that an F seat takes up about 75% more floor space than a Y seat. Premium Select seats only take up about 30% more floor space than a Y seat. That is a significant difference in terms of personal space.

It's airplane food. Whether it is J fare or Y fare it is all about the same. I'll grant you that the soft product is equivalent, but who cares about the soft product? If you gave the same food to a Comfort+ seat, would you consider that a premium experience too?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
It's airplane food. Whether it is J fare or Y fare it is all about the same. I'll grant you that the soft product is equivalent, but who cares about the soft product? If you gave the same food to a Comfort+ seat, would you consider that a premium experience too?
Plenty of people care about the soft product. Clearly you don't--totally fine! But you may want to resign yourself to the fact that soft product is going to be discussed on these forums occasionally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.