Why did the captain do this?

Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Just to pile on the comfort issue, it should be obvious that an airplane cabin might be reasonably "comfortable" at one moment, but with a less-than-ideal air conditioning system, that comfort level will change rapidly once you stuff 150+ human beings inside the insulated metal tube.

Perhaps the only reason OP stayed comfortable at all is precisely because the captain stopped boarding.

And again, no excuse for the FA's actions and certainly not a "job well done" IMO.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by gooselee
And again, no excuse for the FA's actions and certainly not a "job well done" IMO.
The irony is that by the OP specifically giving the FA an "attaboy" for over-ruling the captain might in fact get the FA in hot water with AA management.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by gooselee
Just to pile on the comfort issue, it should be obvious that an airplane cabin might be reasonably "comfortable" at one moment, but with a less-than-ideal air conditioning system, that comfort level will change rapidly once you stuff 150+ human beings inside the insulated metal tube.

Perhaps the only reason OP stayed comfortable at all is precisely because the captain stopped boarding.

To elaborate a bit more, there was at least a 1 hour delay. That is way longer than would be expected for an exit of 20 pax and to restart boarding. I would expect more like a 15 minute delay (as the AC was back on as they existed per OP so they could immdiately restart).

So very possible there was another delay issue in play that was never mentioned. So now the question is do the pax board and sit onboard for that delay in possibly bad air.

I guarantee you if the captain decided to knowingly board pax onto a non-AC flight in the ATL summer with a known 1+ hour delay at the gate he would be have plenty of upset pax.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Whoa, ramp agent punishing the passengers to punish the captain. That is like Egyptair 990, where a crew member in 1999 was probably mad and crashed the JFK-CAI bound plane in to the Atlantic, killing everyone.
Wow, equating crashing a plane to making a crew walk further to catch the employee shuttle. I feel sorry for you if you really think those events are even remotely related.

Apparently you didn't bother to read my explanation of hub pax operations above. So I'll quote myself:

I hate to state the obvious, but I suppose many aren't familiar with hub ops. The vast majority of pax at a hub are making connections, so arrival gate is pretty much irrelevant...especially since almost every gate is used in a bank, and many are used overnight. It's a zero sum game for pax. I can give them a close gate (to the terminal/employee shuttle), or I can give them a far away gate and give another plane the close gate.
For the record at most (all?) hub airports, "ramp agents" have nothing to do with tower operations.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
A flight attendant can most certainly overrule a captain. If the flight attendant smells alcohol on the Captain's breath should he/she just get out of the way and let them into the flight deck?
Yes.

And then report it to the GA.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by sethb
Yes.

And then report it to the GA.
I would argue that the flight attendant should intervene in a potentially intoxicated pilot scenario. Flight attendants are part of the crew resource management paradigm (per the FAR) and have a role in the safe operation of a flight.

In the original scenario (deplaning) I don't think the FA should have confronted the captain. First, the FA has less information than the cockpit crew and, second, the captain is ultimately responsible for the safety of the passengers.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by No_Name

I would argue that the flight attendant should intervene in a potentially intoxicated pilot scenario. Flight attendants are part of the crew resource management paradigm (per the FAR) and have a role in the safe operation of a flight.

In the original scenario (deplaning) I don't think the FA should have confronted the captain. First, the FA has less information than the cockpit crew and, second, the captain is ultimately responsible for the safety of the passengers.
Wouldn't intervening be simply telling the GA? And then possibly doing more if the GA doesn't do anything.

What else can the FA do? Physically stand at the door and not let the captain in? The GA can pull people off the plane. Maybe the FA can too, but the GA has to know anyway since the GA will have to start communicating with dispatch, and I'm not sure the FA has that ability.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.