Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

schedule change: 2.5 hours JFK-LGA. Do-able?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

I'd welcome expert advice.

DL did a schedule change and I now have 2h, 34min to transfer from JFK to LGA. I will be arriving on the direct MXP-JFK flight.

Mitigating factors:
I'm in D1, no checked bags, have Global Entry, and am traveling on a Saturday (arrive JFK ~1pm) so traffic should be light even with LGA construction.

So this seems tight if the MXP departure is delayed, but do-able.

I would welcome advice from those who do this airport change often. If you think this is a mistake, I will call DL and try to find other flights- but this routing, if it works, is the best in terms of schedule.

Much thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I've done that connection plenty of times, and that sounds like more than enough with no checked bags and GE. To preempt the worry chorus, of course there could be unexpected traffic. But assuming there's another option for you on the off chance that your inbound is delayed or there's an hours-long traffic snarl, I would definitely stick with your schedule.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by S_D_P
I'd welcome expert advice.

DL did a schedule change and I now have 2h, 34min to transfer from JFK to LGA. I will be arriving on the direct MXP-JFK flight.

Mitigating factors:
I'm in D1, no checked bags, have Global Entry, and am traveling on a Saturday (arrive JFK ~1pm) so traffic should be light even with LGA construction.

So this seems tight if the MXP departure is delayed, but do-able.

I would welcome advice from those who do this airport change often. If you think this is a mistake, I will call DL and try to find other flights- but this routing, if it works, is the best in terms of schedule.

Much thanks.
What is DL's MCT for JFK-LGA I-D?

And is Delta paying for your ground transfer?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
EF shows MCT as either 2.5 or 3 hours -- it's unclear to me on this which it is:

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .20 1.00 1.00 1.00
OFFLINE .20 1.00 1.00 1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
DL-DL ID SUP INTER EWR - JFK
DL-DL ID SUP INTER EWR - LGA
DL-DL ID SUP INTER JFK - EWR
DL-DL ID 3.00 INTER JFK - LGA
DL-DL ID SUP INTER LGA - EWR
**-** ID 3.30 INTER EWR - JFK
**-** ID 3.30 INTER EWR - LGA
**-** ID 3.00 INTER EWR - TSS
**-** ID 3.30 INTER JFK - EWR
**-** ID 2.30 INTER JFK - LGA
**-** ID 3.30 INTER LGA - EWR
**-** ID 3.00 INTER LGA - JFK

I think it's feasible on a Saturday mid-day (as long as it isn't a holiday weekend).
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
You should be fine - what is your final destination? There may be a better connection through ATL that doesn't require you to leave the airport.....
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i personally wouldn't accept this unless the alternatives with an internal JFK transfer, or transfers via other possible connecting airports, were truly awful. that being said, you would probably make the connection, albeit with limited time to waste.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:54 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
What is DL's MCT for JFK-LGA I-D?

And is Delta paying for your ground transfer?
Delta pays for ground transportation on I/D connections between JFK and LGA. Getting that taxi/car voucher, however, will add time that the OP might not be able to afford.
A recent thread on this: JFK - LGA ground transfer refunds?

And a more general thread on making this connection: LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TTT
Delta pays for ground transportation on I/D connections between JFK and LGA. Getting that taxi/car voucher, however, will add time that the OP might not be able to afford.
A recent thread on this: JFK - LGA ground transfer refunds?
The original post in that thread forgot to note it's for paid tickets:

Except for passengers traveling on award tickets or free tickets, Delta will provide ground transfer services at no additional charge in the following circumstances...
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
OP -- why not use the schedule change as an opportunity to switch to a connection entirely via JFK, or to instead go MXP-ATL-[wherever your final destination is]?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:21 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

Except for passengers traveling on award tickets or free tickets, Delta will provide ground transfer services at no additional charge in the following circumstances...
Good point - thanks for mentioning that.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree that if the inbound is on-time, the odds of making the connection are >95%.
If the inbound is 1 hour late, I think the odds drop to the ~75-85% level (depending on which T4 gate the plane parks at), so still quite doable. That assumes DL doesn't automatically re-accommodate you. Certainly you will be protected in any event; not like this is two separate tickets on different carriers/alliances. As long as there are reasonable alternatives, I would 100% accept this connection.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:47 am

You should be able to make that with a taxi. LGA is a pretty small airport so it's easy to navigate. If it was the other way around, it would be tight due to the size of JFK.

Good luck!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
OP -- why not use the schedule change as an opportunity to switch to a connection entirely via JFK, or to instead go MXP-ATL-[wherever your final destination is]?
Second this one. Seems like a great opportunity to avoid a JFK to LGA ground transfer altogether. If OP is in paid D1 and doesn't have to worry about award space, the schedule change may also give OP the opportunity to move to an AZ codeshare as well, if OP would prefer AZ over DL or find another routing besides even ATL (via AMS, CDG, etc.).

OP what is your final destination?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

While true, I've never seen anyone denied.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:26 pm

JFK to LGA is 15 minutes no traffic which is basically 2am to 3am. The rest of the time it’s 30 minutes by cab.
FlyingNone likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.