Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

schedule change: 2.5 hours JFK-LGA. Do-able?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

schedule change: 2.5 hours JFK-LGA. Do-able?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by S_D_P
Hey- Thank you all for your thoughtful advice and suggestions. I so appreciate being able to turn to this forum for help and information.

You all asked for some additional information.

I am on a paid D1 ticket.

Yes, DL will pay for ground transport between JFK-LGA via a voucher on their contracted car service. But that may be penny-wise and pound-foolish. If time is tight, I'll shell out $30 bucks for a taxi/Lyft to make the connection instead of waiting in the queue at baggage claim to get my voucher. That cost is marginal given the total cost of this trip anyway!

The rationale for this routing is that there is no direct flight from Milan to Atlanta (at least on my travel date). And I am going to Madison, WI and there is no direct JFK-MSN, only LGA-MSN. So the NYC airport transfer is the only way to make the trip with only one connection.

There is a Plan B. With IRROPS I expect DL will just reroute me MXP-JFK-DTW-MSN OR MXP-AMS-ATL-MSN. Those are fine, but make it a much longer trip than the airport change in NYC. Given a paid J/F ticket, DL likely ensure I get a seat on an alternate flight if things get messed up.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond to my query.
DL also flies MSP-MSN so you should be able to do MXP-JFK-MSP-MSN (doing a dummy booking it pulls up on a Saturday).
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Here's an interesting thought. If Delta pays for transportation, would that mean any form of transportation, and for any price? Maybe if I were in your shoes, I would use that as an easy, quick, and free way to earn rental rewards with National or Hertz? Would it even be faster than the other choices, like the inter-airport bus? That assumes of course that you feel comfortable driving in NYC highway traffic.
No, op would be very unlikely to make it on time. From jfk he'd have to take the airtrain to the car rental location, rent the car, drive to the lga car rental location, wait for a car rental shuttle (or walk) to the purple line stop, get on the purple line bus and make it to checkin.

If cost wasn't a consideration, I'd opt for a helicopter.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
DL also flies MSP-MSN so you should be able to do MXP-JFK-MSP-MSN (doing a dummy booking it pulls up on a Saturday).

I was going to suggest this. I know that OP does not want to add another connection, but connecting in MSP is very easy and the flight to MSN very quick. And if for some reason there are any issues at MSP it's also not a bad drive.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If OP is going to double-connect, would think it would be better to add the connection on the Europe side so OP would do MXP - AMS/CDG - DTW/ATL/MSP - MSN or MXP - FCO - ATL - MSN and wouldn't have to deal with 2 short DL domestic flights after getting off a TATL.

I think timing works if you get the 6-7am MXP - AMS flight and then go AMS - DTW/MSP - MSN on DL metal.

BTW, total travel time of MXP - AMS - MSP - MSN looks to be ~1 hour longer than the one-stop (15.5 vs. 14.5) -- that extra hour would be worth it to me to avoid the JFK ---> LGA hassle.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by apodo77
If have to double, I'd replace JFK with AMS in your example.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
IMO having to transit between JFK and LGA is basically a double connection. One "flight" just happens to be by car.
Auto Enthusiast, wrp96 and Duke787 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta DM, HH Diamond
Just remember those famous words of George Costanza: "You can't beat the Van Wyck."
S_D_P and PV_Premier like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Please do us a favor and let us know how you made out (ryanm wants to know that).
Seriously, I believe that all of us hope it works out for you. Arrive at B24, no one at GE, out the door to a ride in 10 minutes, no traffic and at LGA in 30 minutes with enough time for a leisurely SkyClub visit.
I did the JFK-LGA transfer yesterday and it wasn't so bad. The hardest part was getting the car service voucher.

We were flying CPH-JFK-DCA and we had a 2 hour schedule change that I didn't really pay attention to until we landed at JFK. That left us with a a 4.5 hour layover, rather than a 2.5 hour layover, at JFK (and no earlier flights). We also landed at JFK 30 minutes early, and with GE and very fast bag delivery had almost 5 hours to kill, so we asked the transfer agent for help switching to LGA.

We were booked in F on JFK-DCA, but there was only 1 F seat available on the LGA-DCA flight we wanted. The transfer agent said they "weren't allowed to split PNRs, so just call the DM line instead". They got my wife in F and me in C+ on the LGA flight in just a couple minutes, but the transfer agent then refused to provide a voucher because we made a "voluntary change". I argued it was only voluntary in the sense that I was responding to Delta's schedule change, if they hadn't increased my layover by 2.5 hours I obviously wouldn't choose to change airports. I could see I was getting nowhere fast, so when I saw a red coat walk by I asked her for help and she understood my situation, but said it was my responsibility to make the change immediately after the schedule change (and not wait until the day of travel). After some more back-and-forth she made an exception, but "only" because I was a DM traveling on an international flight in J.

Once we had the voucher, she called their car service company and the driver was already waiting outside when we got to the curb upstairs. 25 minutes in the car to LGA. I'd say voucher to entering LGA took about 30 minutes total. And when we got to LGA a second F seat opened up, so I moved up to F as well. Probably could have even made the shuttle leaving an hour earlier, but we wanted to eat some food in the lounge. The best part was that our original JFK-DCA flight was significantly delayed, so we got home about 5 hours earlier than if we'd waited at JFK.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
That's great - also a Sunday morning. I happened to be out near JFK yesterday morning and could have given you a ride. Traffic was very light except for the short stretch after the VWE merges into the GCP..

Hope you had a great time in CPH. We were there in April for opening weekend of Tivoli Gardens. Great weather and a fun city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.