Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Domestic First Class vs. Alaska on Transcons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Domestic First Class vs. Alaska on Transcons

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's some bad info in thread regarding JFK/SAN. Delta expanded Delta One to this route. However only on 1 flight a day each direction. This is the only JFK/SAN flight that will include lounge access.
Is this true? My understanding of the current SC rules is that a D1 ticket only provides access on intl routes, or tix connecting to intl D1.

I recently let my SC membership lapse, so didn't even try the SC for a LAX-JFK flight in D1. I'll be annoyed if I misunderstood the SC rules for domestic D1....

Granted, the OP gets lounge access anyway.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by ryanm
Is this true? My understanding of the current SC rules is that a D1 ticket only provides access on intl routes, or tix connecting to intl D1.

I recently let my SC membership lapse, so didn't even try the SC for a LAX-JFK flight in D1. I'll be annoyed if I misunderstood the SC rules for domestic D1....

Domestic D1 gets access to SkyKlubs
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Yes, D1, regardless of domestic or international gets you lounge access. You can even enter the lounge at connecting airports, and on arrival. Ie JFK-LAX-SLC, could access clubs at JFK, LAX, and SLC.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes, D1, regardless of domestic or international gets you lounge access. You can even enter the lounge at connecting airports, and on arrival. Ie JFK-LAX-SLC, could access clubs at JFK, LAX, and SLC.
Hmmm...here's what's on the DL site, which is why I thought they'd changed it to exclude domestic D1 unless connecting to intl D1: "Customers traveling in Delta One on an international Delta flight or a domestic Delta flight connecting to/from a same-day international Delta flight* in Delta One or travel in international First/Business Class on a SkyTeam-operated flight. (In order to qualify for Club access, the customer must be confirmed in the premium (first or business class) cabin for the international segment of their itinerary.) *International Travel includes: Customers traveling to/from Europe, Asia, South America, Central America, Africa, Canada and Mexico (excludes travel to/from the Caribbean, Guam, Palau and Saipan)."

If I haven't missed something, perhaps this is a change, and one that goes along with the downgrade of domestic D1's meal service?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:16 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Hmmm...here's what's on the DL site, which is why I thought they'd changed it to exclude domestic D1 unless connecting to intl D1: "Customers traveling in Delta One on an international Delta flight or a domestic Delta flight connecting to/from a same-day international Delta flight*
The web site is inconsistent with itself.

While it's true that the language on the access policies page does not mention domestic D1, the Locations page with the club finder has a checkbox for "Transcontinental Delta One" (although if you check it, it only mentions SFO, LAX, and JFK), and the page describing the D1 product says under "Domestic Delta One Experience": "Enjoy complimentary access to 50 Delta Sky Club locations and find your flavor with new food options, premium drink selections with a local flair and space to work, relax or recharge."
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Here's a review and comparison I wrote 4 years ago; I haven't flown on Alaska since the "divorce" from Delta.

Review of Alaska Airlines F Class by a Delta Loyalist

At DCA, Alaska is still using gate 18 (in the same gatehouse where the Delta gates are), and has moved the former Virgin Atlantic non-stop to SFO there. I don't know why they don't move their operation down to "the banjo" (Terminal A), where they could probably get either the former Northwest or TWA club spaces for a new Board Room.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
The web site is inconsistent with itself.

While it's true that the language on the access policies page does not mention domestic D1, the Locations page with the club finder has a checkbox for "Transcontinental Delta One" (although if you check it, it only mentions SFO, LAX, and JFK), and the page describing the D1 product says under "Domestic Delta One Experience": "Enjoy complimentary access to 50 Delta Sky Club locations and find your flavor with new food options, premium drink selections with a local flair and space to work, relax or recharge."
Yikes--thanks for this. Wish I'd known earlier, before sitting with my partner in the "gate" area of T2 for 90 minutes....
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
To be honest, I think if you are expecting any carrier to offer a significantly better experience than United you are going to be disappointed, unless you fly routing that offers lay flat seating.

My opinion: If you are wanting DL status & miles, than choose Delta (or AS for the same reason). IMO that's the only reason to bother with connecting flights when there is a nonstop option. If not, I would honestly suggest that you just stick with the United nonstop and save yourself the time on an already long trip.

FYI DL no longer prevents Y pax from using the F lav on domestic routes and AS never did. Any airline will have good crews and bad crews. DL F food has been receiving a lot of complaints recently.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Jul 16, 2018 at 11:59 am
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
... FYI DL no longer prevents Y pax from using the F lav on domestic routes and AS never did. Any airline will have good crews and bad crews. DL F food has been receiving a lot of complaints recently.
not so fast ... some recent reports of good things on legacy VX —which is now AS
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I was a long time AS Gold and then 75K when it was launched. Now Diamond af DL.

I have been on both DL and AS flights in F where Y passengers line up at the F restroom. Also have run out of space in F on both. AS (not sure about now but did in the past) would gate valet the bag if you were in F and pick it up plane side. No go on DL. Both times went to baggage claim.

In all honestly I would probably just pick the non stop. Nothing in any domestic F I have experienced would have me making a connection when a non stop is available. I’ve done 4 segments in United F the past year and they have all been fine.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More
This is all great info, thanks! Fortunately, my next meeting was changed from San Diego to LA. That opened up plenty of interesting options. I managed to get Delta One from DCA-LAX direct and back-- for about only a bit more than United's directs out of IAD. Three weeks of advance notice on the right days made D1 within budget.

In all honestly I would probably just pick the non stop. Nothing in any domestic F I have experienced would have me making a connection when a non stop is available. I’ve done 4 segments in United F the past year and they have all been fine.
There's nothing wrong with United F. But I am curious to see if other options are any better. D1 looks promising... if only they went to SD! Finally:

FYI DL no longer prevents Y pax from using the F lav on domestic routes and AS never did
Apparently, there's a whole rant on this in another airline's forum. My objection was not about letting Y pax into the F lav-- it was about the crew's indifference to a genuine safety hazard: PAX should not be allowed to queue up when the seatbelt sign is on and the plane is bouncing around.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:45 pm

The airline you're describing is not Alaska. Better hard product? When I've flown AS in first class the first time I see and interact with a flight attendant is at least 45 minutes (usually an hour) after I sit down - no preflight service yet 2 flight attendants always in forward galley chatting. And service time is painfully slow. In the last row in F? You might finish your meal over MCI. AS service rarely as good as all the fan boys make it out to be.

Flew DL One JFK-SFO last week and service was terribly underwhelming. Dinner was terrific. But after that had to call for, or go find, someone until the 60 minute pre-arrival walk through.

Originally Posted by ethernal
There are a couple of bad Alaska configs, but the planes Alaska runs on t-cons are generally the ones with the generous F pitch (they have a 40"-41" pitch). I would fly Alaska in a heartbeat over Delta in F - it's a significantly superior hard product, especially compared to Delta's F hard product which in aggregate is the worst out of all major US carriers that offer F. I guess they make up for it by putting out white tablecloths and calling their soft product superior.

I wouldn't worry about the bag checks. I have flown Alaska 3 times since the initial uproar and had no issues with a bag that - while fitting vertically in every overhead bin in the US (other than RJs) - is clearly oversized.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jinglish
If BWI is a convenient option for you, AS offers a nonstop to SAN from there, though it leaves pretty early. I can't comment too much on DL F, but I can say that AS crews can be hit or miss on enforcing the F-lav-for-F-only rule, but not to the point that they let people queue up during turbulence.
On my Los Angeles–Honolulu flight today, for the first time I remember ever, the flight leader announced that the forward lavatory could be used by economy and comfort-plus passengers, provided they didn't congregate in the lavatory area.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
On my Los Angeles–Honolulu flight today, for the first time I remember ever, the flight leader announced that the forward lavatory could be used by economy and comfort-plus passengers, provided they didn't congregate in the lavatory area.
I've heard that before, but usually it's because a Y lav is INOP.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The one advantage that flying Delta domestically gives you is occasional surprises, in a good kind of way. Like my Los Angeles–Honolulu flight last night was catered with Delta One international business-class wines, including champagne. Obviously, you won't get that on Alaska. I talked to the flight leader, who was Honolulu-based, and she said it happens enough that it isn't a surprise. I drank two bottles on the 6-hour flight, as nobody else wanted it (most passengers pass out after the meal and don't wake up again until Honolulu).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.