Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Domestic First Class vs. Alaska on Transcons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More

Over the next two months, I will be making several trips between the DC area and San Diego. Happily, I've been given the option of flying First Class on any airline I choose as long as the fare is below a certain dollar threshold.

Last month, I flew United and was underwhelmed. Seats were fine, food was okay, but the crew was apathetic: They allowed economy PAX to take up the overheads in First, forcing my seat-mate to gate-check his bag. They made no effort to keep economy PAX from forming a line for the First lav that stretched half way down the First cabin. They let this happen during turbulence where the seat belt sign was on. One elderly woman in the line actually fell into the lap of the person in the aisle seat across from me. It could have just been a bad day, but I'd rather not have a repeat experience.

Since I've never flown upfront on Delta or Alaska, I've decided to give one or the other a try. Both have their scheduling downsides and will require one connection. (Unlike United, which goes direct but costs hundreds more). I've heard good things about both, but am leaning towards Delta. My main reason: The long Delta segments are on A310s or 757s and the Alaska segments are all 737s. That, and I'll have Delta lounge access (with a Plat Amex) in case of IROPS.

I know I might get answers strongly biased for or against Delta on this thread. But I figure that it's worth asking if any of you Delta regulars have flown Alaska upfront and can compare.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Alohashirt
The long Delta segments are on A310s
Nope.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
UpgradeMe recognizes that Delta's A310s from the PanAm days were all retired ~25 years ago.

Perhaps you meant A321 (all new) or A319 or A320 (all refurbished). Pretty much so long as you avoid Delta 717s, MD-88s and MD-90s you will get AVOD at every seat and 2Ku wifi (a big advantage over Alaska, if you need wifi).
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL has both First Class and Delta One available on transcon routes. For WAS to SAN you would need to take DCA-LAX-SAN or WAS-JFK-SAN in order to get Delta One. However, this will cost more than the First Class routings ($1470 is the cheapest roundtrip Delta One fare and requires a 3-week advance purchase). Also, not all flights on JFK-SAN are Delta One flights (only one out of the 3-4 daily flights is Delta One).

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 13, 2018 at 11:14 am
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
If BWI is a convenient option for you, AS offers a nonstop to SAN from there, though it leaves pretty early. I can't comment too much on DL F, but I can say that AS crews can be hit or miss on enforcing the F-lav-for-F-only rule, but not to the point that they let people queue up during turbulence.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Alaska’s first class is...pretty basic. The seating has gotten better since they removed a row and spaced out the rest on the Boeing fleet... but the “soft product” is grim. Small portions of weird catering, limited meal times, no predeparture beverages, etc. I’d encourage you to review the meal service threads in this forum and the AS one to come to your own conclusions, but I have a definite preference for DL catering and onboard service.

DL has in flight entertainment in seat, while AS is mostly reliant on Dig-E-Players or WiFi streaming entertainment. (The AS Airbus fleet does have seatback IFE for now, though.)

AS gets the worst gates in many east coast out stations; BOS is a particular offender. But I think pretty much everything at DCA is fine, so that’s probably not a concern for you. Remember that AS has no lounges of their own in Washington DC, while Delta does... on the other hand, AS offers lounge access in their hubs to paid F passengers, while on DL you’d be reliant on a credit card or membership for entry. (But you say you have one.)

AS also recently implemented draconian carryon bag size checks, which have resulted in lots of people getting surprised by a requirement to gate check their bag. Recent reports say they backed down after overwhelming negative feedback, but it’s another factor to consider.

If the AS flight times work well for you, they aren’t a *bad* airline by any means. I can and do book AS directs over DL connections when it makes sense. But they have really lost their way lately with the VX merger and are a shadow of their former glory, and I’m letting my MVPG status lapse after this year to return full time to Delta flying.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have to prioritize what is important to you and then do the comparison.
1. Cost
2. Convenience
3, Hard product
4. Soft product

Otherwise you get a whole apples-to-oranges comparison problem.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:54 am

As long as you understand that there is no real First in domestic US travel, except the magical LAX-JFK routings, DL does a decent job. Most of my domestic US travel is ~2-3 hr flights and I'm not willing to pay a substantial amount more for DL's domestic F, but occasionally it's made sense on the longer routes. I'm sure DL has some FAs who are worthless, but I've always had pleasant experiences with them, no complaints.

I actually don't mind the Mad Dogs (MD88/90) aircraft as long as I'm closer to the pointy end of the plane. In the back between the engines is miserable, but up front you'll only hear the air moving across the skin of the plane rather than engine noise. Sure, no IFE, and WiFi on them is rubbish, but it's a solid aircraft. Even Economy on one isn't bad as long as you're closer to the front and in one of the "2" seats of the 3-2 configuration in Y.

Also, if you're booking F, I'd say avoid the domestic-configuration 767-300 (non-ER). I've had better C+ seats on a Mad Dog than the F on that particular 767-300.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRSW
As long as you understand that there is no real First in domestic US travel, except the magical LAX-JFK routings, DL does a decent job. Most of my domestic US travel is ~2-3 hr flights and I'm not willing to pay a substantial amount more for DL's domestic F, but occasionally it's made sense on the longer routes. I'm sure DL has some FAs who are worthless, but I've always had pleasant experiences with them, no complaints.

I actually don't mind the Mad Dogs (MD88/90) aircraft as long as I'm closer to the pointy end of the plane. In the back between the engines is miserable, but up front you'll only hear the air moving across the skin of the plane rather than engine noise. Sure, no IFE, and WiFi on them is rubbish, but it's a solid aircraft. Even Economy on one isn't bad as long as you're closer to the front and in one of the "2" seats of the 3-2 configuration in Y.

Also, if you're booking F, I'd say avoid the domestic-configuration 767-300 (non-ER). I've had better C+ seats on a Mad Dog than the F on that particular 767-300.
DL has expanded the "magical" D1 routings beyond just JFK-LAX/SFO routes (as noted above with DCA-LAX and JFK-SAN routes). Here is the complete list --

https://news.delta.com/delta-one-ser...mestic-markets
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles DM
One additional advantage of Delta would be access to the lounge at SAN in case of delays, or even to grab a quick bite. Even without the lounge Terminal 2 at SAN is far better than the mess that's the (literal) circle of hell that's Terminal 1's Alaska departure gates.
Kacee and cmx like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More
Perhaps you meant A321 (all new) or A319 or A320 (all refurbished).
I did. My mistake.

For WAS to SAN you would need to take DCA-LAX-SAN or WAS-JFK-SAN in order to get Delta One. However, this will cost more than the First Class routings
Correct... and Delta One is $1000 more than regular Delta First on the days/times I need it. I'm also baffled about why the one D1 flight a day from LAX-DCA is a daytime flight when I would think people would pay a premium for a lie-flat overnight. But that's for another day.

You have to prioritize what is important to you and then do the comparison.
1. Hard product: That includes a comfortable seat with maximum pitch
2. Convenience
3. Cost: On the days/times I want, Delta and Alaska are surprisingly close
4. Soft Product: Thank you, BenA! Your post addressed every concern I had. Delta it is.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW

Jetblue has real first class on JFK-SAN/SEA/LAS, BOS-SFO/LAX/SAN/SEA/LAS and FLL-LAX/SFO as well. So these things are not restricted to just JFK-LAX/SFO.

For the thread starter, you should look into DCA-BOS-SAN on mint. it's probably even cheaper to buy DCA-BOS and BOS-SAN segements separately.
BearX220, BenA, telloh and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
2. Convenience
4. Soft Product: Thank you, BenA! Your post addressed every concern I had. Delta it is.
There are a couple of bad Alaska configs, but the planes Alaska runs on t-cons are generally the ones with the generous F pitch (they have a 40"-41" pitch). I would fly Alaska in a heartbeat over Delta in F - it's a significantly superior hard product, especially compared to Delta's F hard product which in aggregate is the worst out of all major US carriers that offer F. I guess they make up for it by putting out white tablecloths and calling their soft product superior.

I wouldn't worry about the bag checks. I have flown Alaska 3 times since the initial uproar and had no issues with a bag that - while fitting vertically in every overhead bin in the US (other than RJs) - is clearly oversized.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I would choose first based on the most convenient DC area airport...if you are working/living near BWI, it makes zero sense to schlep all the way out to IAD to fly a specific airline/product. If you are in downtown DC, I'd bias myself toward DCA.

Next, I would choose based on schedule and/or product and nonstop availability. For instance, if flying from BWI, I would choose AS for BWI-SAN over a one-stop on anyone else at least westbound. Eastbound, maybe not, because SAN-BWI is a redeye and you could probably get a better one-stop non-redeye on someone else.

Consider buying a few different one-way tickets on your first couple of round trips and trying out different products and connections?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
I did. My mistake.

Correct... and Delta One is $1000 more than regular Delta First on the days/times I need it. I'm also baffled about why the one D1 flight a day from LAX-DCA is a daytime flight when I would think people would pay a premium for a lie-flat overnight. But that's for another day.

2. Convenience
1. Alaska has substantially more leg room compared to the DL 737 or A321
2. Delta has more connecting options and generally handles IROPS better
3. Cost is a wash
4. I actually find the soft product marginally better on Alaska, or at least a tossup. The lack of PDB is a huge annoyance, but I find the meal catering and FA service better on Alaska (and fewer bad apple crews), with more meal and snack options than Delta on shorter flights.

Overall, I think Delta is a narrow winner for your needs, with convenience and flexibility trumping comfort. If miles/FFP are a consideration, Alaska may be best. Four or five transcon 1-ways in paid first would easily get you to MVP, and if you’re paying anything less than $1,600 per round trip you will typically accrue more redeemable miles on Alaska.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.