Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL squeezing more revenue for less premium experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL squeezing more revenue for less premium experience

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tphuang
Well, they've added D1 on BOS-SFO/LAX, which are huge money losers since there are so much lie flat capacity around. JFK-LAS D1 is also a disaster in yield. Their cost on D1 is way too high compared mint, so now they attempt to cut costs. I don't see how that can be the way to go though.
Didn't know about LAS. Why on Earth would they run D1 service to the ultimate leisure (maybe behind MCO) destination? Yeah that flight leaves a trail of red ink in its wake...
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I doubt the motivation is the minimal fuel savings of the weight of the glasses. I think its more them having capacity in terms of storage space for the glasses, first off - with 48 PS seats, if each person only gets 1 drink with each service, that's at least 96 glasses. I'm not sure how many they have space for or how many they load excluding PS - but I did hear FAs talking about the galley space on the A350 already being cramped...
I don't think its the only motivation (space savings is probably a factor, as are other costs such as having to cover costs of washing the glasses and replace broken glasses versus plastic cups) but fuel savings could be a factor in the decision - keep in mind even seemingly small weight reduction initiatives have been undertaken because of reduced fuel burn. But the weight savings of a galley cart or two filled with a couple hundred glass-glasses versus a bag of a couple hundred plastic cups is not insignificant. Part of the reason for going from paper flight manuals to Ipads was going from something that weighed over 35 lbs or so to something that weighs less than 2 lbs. On a given flight, the difference may be negligible or even unnoticeable but multiplied across a few hundred flights over a year and then multiplied across the fleet, it does become somewhat significant.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Didn't know about LAS. Why on Earth would they run D1 service to the ultimate leisure (maybe behind MCO) destination? Yeah that flight leaves a trail of red ink in its wake...
1 flight only a day. Same as SEA, SAN.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
That’s true, but where do you draw the line ? Should they also use plastic cups in D1 ? Of course not, is the answer, D1 is expected to offer superior service. But then the same answer applies to PS: all other airlines offer glassware in their PE cabins. It is simply a matter of standards. Nobody on FT believed even for a second that C+ could qualify as a PE experience (delta’s choice of fare code notwithstanding) precisely because the standard for PE prescribes: mileage bonus, separate cabin, wider seat, more recline, larger screen, better food/drink options, china and glassware.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I would think the higher price for W would offset any additional fuel expense to carry real glasses.

Ok, maybe real glasses going away isn't the end of the world, but what's next on the chopping block? With Delta, it's anyone's guess.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:21 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
VS PE was a glass service when I flew them in April.

I prefer the paper pepper/salt because it's more environmentally friendly (less single use plastic). I prefer reusable materials and reduction of unneeded things (like plastic straws/stirsticks).

But I agree the continue cost cutting (though gas prices are going way up again) but there needs to be a point where the squeeze has to stop. The PE on 777 without a C+ really reduces the value of having elite status. For this 6'5 guy I really value legroom most. The fight for exit rows is really a bore (usually I win since I book far in advance at least) but would really irritate me if I had to book on the run and get stuck in a middle seat.

The push to even more segmentation is pushing me to other carriers....I"m flying less and less Delta, enough though I'd really prefer to do them. But alas, every action has an equal and opposite reaction!
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:28 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by thesaints
That’s true, but where do you draw the line ? Should they also use plastic cups in D1 ? Of course not, is the answer, D1 is expected to offer superior service. But then the same answer applies to PS: all other airlines offer glassware in their PE cabins. It is simply a matter of standards.
I’m certainly no proponent of cheapening standards in any cabin, but the truth is, glassware is not universally a service standard in PE cabins.

For the Asia market, JL doesn’t even have enhanced catering for PE (they have extra drink and midflight snack options, but the meal tray is the same as coach), and CX now has all plastic crock ware for PE.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thesaints
That’s true, but where do you draw the line ? Should they also use plastic cups in D1 ? Of course not, is the answer, D1 is expected to offer superior service. But then the same answer applies to PS: all other airlines offer glassware in their PE cabins. It is simply a matter of standards. Nobody on FT believed even for a second that C+ could qualify as a PE experience (delta’s choice of fare code notwithstanding) precisely because the standard for PE prescribes: mileage bonus, separate cabin, wider seat, more recline, larger screen, better food/drink options, china and glassware.
I would think the higher price for W would offset any additional fuel expense to carry real glasses.

Ok, maybe real glasses going away isn't the end of the world, but what's next on the chopping block? With Delta, it's anyone's guess.

Those are fair points but I even addressed that upthread. While none of us have the specifics, one can observe that it's a cost-benefit analysis by DL and it's ultimately it's up to DL to decide that and whether they feel if cost savings/benefits of using plastic glasses is enough to offset any potential drops revenue from lost bookings due to people opting for other products. While such a decision might have more of a factor in J, I would personally not opt to select or not select PE over glass versus plastic cups in most cases. That's very far down my personal list of importance. My biggest factors in selecting PE would be price, seat comfort/space, and schedule. I'm not trying to give the vibe that I think my personal preference is universal or that I'm "defending" DL for this - all actions have consequences, good or bad, and the market will ultimately decide what customers value, and DL will have to evaluate the consequences of this decision and make changes accordingly if needed.
mules likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAS is a heavy leisure destination Friday through Sunday. It's a major business destination Monday through Thursday with conventions, conferences, etc.
indufan and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77

Are less people paying for D1 than they were prior?
Prior to this the seats were going to non revs and the service did not have the changes above.
They adding D1 flights to flood the JetBlue Mint markets (SEA, SAN, LAS, etc).

Virgin America is out of the equation and JetBlue only does a one tray bare bones service, so they matched that, and raised them free upgrades for elites to give an incentive for people to book Delta in both economy and biz.

You can thank JetBlue for lower fares in first, as well as a lower service standard.

Kind of like what the original LCCs did to economy service standards. Some like that, others won't - depends on your preference.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Just as a datapoint, I've flown PE on DL, NH, JL, and LH in the past 12 months. Only DL was serving drinks in glassware. FWIW, NH, JL, and LH food was also basically the Y food, whereas DL was closer to the J product. Overall I thought DL's PE was far and above above NH, JL, and LH in soft product.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA PS, VX, Natl EE, Hertz PC
Dont look now, but as of yesterday, Premium Select tickets only get you comfort plus on your connecting flights. No more first class!
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
True! I just checked... which is SHOCKING...
Originally Posted by inthecloud
Dont look now, but as of yesterday, Premium Select tickets only get you comfort plus on your connecting flights. No more first class!
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Maybe DL's doing the numbers on how much all the blankets and pillows weigh - they went after them a few years back, I think. Heck,
maybe we're a stones throw away from having to put coins in a slot to use the onboard Lav..
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Virgin America is out of the equation and JetBlue only does a one tray bare bones service, so they matched that, and raised them free upgrades for elites to give an incentive for people to book Delta in both economy and biz.

You can thank JetBlue for lower fares in first, as well as a lower service standard.

Kind of like what the original LCCs did to economy service standards. Some like that, others won't - depends on your preference.
Except that (in flight) Mint is in some ways superior to DL, including quality of the food (which is not actually a "bare bones" "one tray" service), seat configuration (when comparing the A321 to the 75S), free high speed wifi, etc. On the ground, though, Mint has room for improvement (lack of lounges, mostly).

Originally Posted by hamburgler
Just as a datapoint, I've flown PE on DL, NH, JL, and LH in the past 12 months. Only DL was serving drinks in glassware. FWIW, NH, JL, and LH food was also basically the Y food, whereas DL was closer to the J product. Overall I thought DL's PE was far and above above NH, JL, and LH in soft product.
W products broadly fall into two categories: "Economy service with a bigger seat" (AF is this, in addition to the carriers you mention) and "Domestic first class on an international plane) (VS and DL, in addition to some others). Even within those two categories there is much variation (dedicated lavs or not, plasticware or not, lounge access or not), but typically if there are dedicated flight attendants and a separate catering menu, it's the second, otherwise it's the first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.