Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL squeezing more revenue for less premium experience

Old Jul 3, 18, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA PS, VX, Natl EE, Hertz PC

Has anyone else noticed that 2017 was the year of announcing and debuting more premium experiences (launch of Delta One suites and Premium Select, announcement of expanded domestic Delta One service), and that 2018 is now becoming the year of the dilution of that brand?

Delta has found that their Delta One and Premium Select experiences are a huge hit, and have moved into the phase where they cut amenities and increase revenue.

April 2018: Memo to flight attendants:
"Simplified meal service, while offering Delta One seats on select domestic routes beginning April 1"
The meal service has been simplified for you. It's a simplified service with fewer steps, which closely aligns with standard long-haul domestic First Class service delivery.
We're also aligning Delta Comfort+ and Main Cabin amenities on our transcontinental flights with all other domestic routes, further simplifying the service for flight attendants.

WHY ARE WE DOING THIS? Domestic Delta One expansion: This expansion is in response to customers telling us they want more opportunities to experience the luxury of Delta One domestically, and it also provides an opportunity to drive revenue. As our competitors increase flying in these markets, our expanded domestic Delta One seats and amenities, coupled with this new service model, will allow us to capitalize on premium revenue opportunities, widening the gap with the competition. This is another example of Delta rethinking the way we do business to maintain our revenue momentum, allowing us to continue to invest in the customer experience and reimagine our service to make it easier for you to deliver.

June 2018: Memo to flight attendants:
"Delta Premium Select service changes are ready for takeoff July 2​​​"
With the expansion of Delta Premium Select (DPS) across our international fleet, the Onboard Services team has redesigned our DPS service
Beverage services: Allbeverages (cold and hot) will be served using plastic/paper cups instead of Alessi glassware – this change creates significant provisioning space on board and allows all the necessary cups to be available on the beverage cart
Pre-departure beverage service: Beverage selection reduced from four choices to two

The "enhancements" never stop! It will be great when the 777 routes started being upgraded with refurbished aircraft so more and more customers are forced to pay significantly more money for the "flagship experience"
Old Jul 3, 18, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by inthecloud View Post

With the expansion of Delta Premium Select (DPS) across our international fleet, the Onboard Services team has redesigned our DPS service
Beverage services: Allbeverages (cold and hot) will be served using plastic/paper cups instead of Alessi glassware – this change creates significant provisioning space on board and allows all the necessary cups to be available on the beverage cart
Pre-departure beverage service: Beverage selection reduced from four choices to two

That is the one that is interesting to me, what were the four choices for PDB before? What are the two now?

Seems dumb to do this as competitors in the Asian & European market use glassware in the Premium Economy product, and while most (including myself) would say who cares what it is served in that seems like a devaluation in paying for a "premium" product. Especially since DL is not removing glassware from the entire plane as J will still have it.
Old Jul 3, 18, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Interesting.
Old Jul 3, 18, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Don't Virgin Atlantic, KLM & AF serve PE drinks in real glassware? Seems like DL should be trying to align itself with JV partners and not taking the cheap route and follow AA's PE drinkware.
Old Jul 3, 18, 2:38 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Is this an internal company memo that somehow made it public?

All year I've noticed DL trimming the soft product in domestic F, especially with meals. If they cut back on the experience in these PE and D1 cabins it will either convince people to not pay the premium for these seats or fly another carrier. I always thought the D1 experience was good, but not amazing compared to some other carriers. Domestically I've flown D1 DCA-LAX-DCA and honestly just like the better seat. The service was a hybrid between F and true international D1.
Old Jul 3, 18, 2:51 pm

All the Medallions complain about not getting free upgrades on these flights, so they offer comp upgrades. Then they reduce the service. What do you expect when so many people want it for free.
Old Jul 3, 18, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by DCAproducer View Post
Is this an internal company memo that somehow made it public?

All year I've noticed DL trimming the soft product in domestic F, especially with meals. If they cut back on the experience in these PE and D1 cabins it will either convince people to not pay the premium for these seats or fly another carrier. I always thought the D1 experience was good, but not amazing compared to some other carriers. Domestically I've flown D1 DCA-LAX-DCA and honestly just like the better seat. The service was a hybrid between F and true international D1.
I have noticed and its already convinced me to not pay for F unless the seat alone is worth it. Its not that I value the soft product that much, but if I am on the fence about whether to but F, the soft product was the thing that got me over the hump, so in a binary value proposition where you either pay for F or not, the soft product is worth a lot. Last year I had 10 paid F segments. This year, despite significantly more travel, I have only 1 paid domestic F segment this year and probably will finish the year with only 3. To me, the experience in C+ is as good and sometimes better than F now, and I am 100% at getting at least a free upgrade to C+.
Old Jul 3, 18, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
I have noticed and its already convinced me to not pay for F unless the seat alone is worth it. Its not that I value the soft product that much, but if I am on the fence about whether to but F, the soft product was the thing that got me over the hump, so in a binary value proposition where you either pay for F or not, the soft product is worth a lot. Last year I had 10 paid F segments. This year, despite significantly more travel, I have only 1 paid domestic F segment this year and probably will finish the year with only 3. To me, the experience in C+ is as good and sometimes better than F now, and I am 100% at getting at least a free upgrade to C+.
Agreed.....plus on so many planes C+ even gets the drink service faster than FC.
Old Jul 3, 18, 3:23 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Agreed.....plus on so many planes C+ even gets the drink service faster than FC.
C+ doesn't get a PDB, so what you're saying is C+ gets their first drink service before F gets their 2nd.
Old Jul 3, 18, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by inthecloud View Post
Not "defending" it but it's simply a cost-benefit analysis. The question is "do the cost benefits, including significant weight reduction (so less fuel burn) from changing PS service from serving beverages in glass ware to plastic cups offset any potential lost revenue from bookings or lack of bookings due to the changes in service?" I don't have the answer to that question myself, but DL seems to think it does and that the answer is "Yes".
Old Jul 3, 18, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry, SPG/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ScroogeMcFlyer View Post
All the Medallions complain about not getting free upgrades on these flights, so they offer comp upgrades. Then they reduce the service. What do you expect when so many people want it for free.
Don't forget those who WFBF that are now getting less for their money.
LAX-1K, MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 3, 18, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Not even AZ uses plastic cups in PE...
Old Jul 3, 18, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP G, DL PL
Maybe next year they’ll just change the dinnerware for PS from China to plastic... not a big deal but it just seems low. After all PS is aligning with domestic F.
Old Jul 3, 18, 5:43 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM (sigh) MM(!), HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Don't Virgin Atlantic, KLM & AF serve PE drinks in real glassware? Seems like DL should be trying to align itself with JV partners and not taking the cheap route and follow AA's PE drinkware.
My recollection is that AF and VS use both glass and plastic depending on which service. eg: VS uses glass for PDB, AF does not offer PDB, both use glass with meals, but I've definitely received plastic at various points on both (maybe for the standalone drink service?).

KL does not have a W cabin.
Old Jul 3, 18, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta...Going for Great
AANYC1981 likes this.

Search this Thread