Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Have 70K Mile Delta One O/W TATL Awards Quietly Disappeared???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have 70K Mile Delta One O/W TATL Awards Quietly Disappeared???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by davetravels
Who said anything about free? I spent years earning my award currency.
Sure, and in DL terms 82k of your award currency has an exchange rate value of US$820, which is still a great deal relative to the price DL charges for these seats.

I'm not defending DL's lack of price transparency on award tickets and other sketchy practices, but we've been down this road a thousand times before. If redeemable miles (especially in premium cabins) are your FFP goal then SkyMiles is not the right program for you.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:13 pm

Thanks for the information in this thread; I booked outbound a few weeks ago for 70K and started looking today for return and found either 82K or 280K. I knew I could find the explanation on FlyerTalk.

Again, thanks for the explanations.

Marc
davetravels likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Marq
Thanks for the information in this thread; I booked outbound a few weeks ago for 70K and started looking today for return and found either 82K or 280K. I knew I could find the explanation on FlyerTalk.

Marc
82K is the new 70K.

Just like 42.5K was the new 35K, and then it quickly became that 60K is the new 35K. And so on..
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marc
Not sure if you are aware of this already, but you'll also get stuck with carrier-imposed surcharges on a one-way award redemption from the EU. Roundtrip awards with a US origin are not subject to these (as long as you are flying DL/KL/AF/VS).
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
Not sure if you are aware of this already, but you'll also get stuck with carrier-imposed surcharges on a one-way award redemption from the EU. Roundtrip awards with a US origin are not subject to these (as long as you are flying DL/KL/AF/VS).
I am now; really no way around this. I booked at midnight 331 days out for outbound and glad to get 70K awards. Return is a couple months later; only option will be to see what it costs for round trip at that time and see if it is worth the fee to redeposit the miles for the outbound; doesn't sound like that will be worthwhile.

thanks,

Marc
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: SPG, DL
I am now; really no way around this. I booked at midnight 331 days out for outbound and glad to get 70K awards. Return is a couple months later; only option will be to see what it costs for round trip at that time and see if it is worth the fee to redeposit the miles for the outbound; doesn't sound like that will be worthwhile.

thanks,

Marc
There is absolutely a way around it. Call and have Delta remove the EU-origination surcharge, since it's not an EU origination ticket. I've done this several times when booking in this manner (two separate one way tickets to/from EU that complete the RT). You will have to call to book the ticket, but they will waive any fees since there is no way to get it to price correctly on the web.

Last edited by ATLawyer; Jul 10, 2018 at 11:16 am
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bennos
Sure, and in DL terms 82k of your award currency has an exchange rate value of US$820
DL is winning the war against y'all if you've already accepted the worst-case PWM rate as the new, normal value of SkyPesos.

Last edited by javabytes; Jul 10, 2018 at 8:22 am
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
There is absolutely a way around it. Call and have Delta remove the EU-origination surcharge, since it's not an EU origination ticket. I've done this several times when booking in this manner (two separate one way tickets to EU that complete the RT). You will have to call to book the ticket, but they will waive any fees since there is no way to get it to price correctly on the web.
They may have done it, but it was a courtesy, not policy. Also how does 2 separate OW TO EU make a RT?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They may have done it, but it was a courtesy, not policy. Also how does 2 separate OW TO EU make a RT?
I am very surprised they do so, as this really could be easily "abused." Someone can book US-EU and EU-US, get the fees removed. Then cancel US-EU. But it's two separate tickets, so the EU-US is not going to get repriced of course.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It is absolutely a policy. The fee is for EU origin tickets. If your ticket isn't EU origin (i.e. you live in the U.S., are transiting to/from your U.S. base on Delta both ways) they CAN NOT charge you the fee. It's just not an automated process to have the fee removed. I've done it 5-6 times, never an issue. This was discussed at length in the old "how to book award ticket" thread.

In my cases, the tickets were obviously RT (1-2 weeks apart). Having the return multiple months apart may be more difficult. But still, you should be able to have them "re-calculate" the taxes/fees as a RT fare. In the past when they have done this for me and no low miles availability was currently available, they had to "force" the availability of the originally booked segment and re-issue as a RT. With the change in the amount of low miles required, this may pose additional problems.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ
I am very surprised they do so, as this really could be easily "abused." Someone can book US-EU and EU-US, get the fees removed. Then cancel US-EU. But it's two separate tickets, so the EU-US is not going to get repriced of course.
In my experience when doing this, they simply re-issue the tickets as a RT, and force availability of the prior booked segment in the mileage amount originally booked in the event the price has changed. Just ask for the international reissue desk, this is routine for them, but many front line agents have no clue about the EU-origin fee.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Just another data point I have done it 3 or 4 times and it always worked this way.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:28 am

In my experience when doing this, they simply re-issue the tickets as a RT, and force availability of the prior booked segment in the mileage amount originally booked in the event the price has changed. Just ask for the international reissue desk, this is routine for them, but many front line agents have no clue about the EU-origin fee.
To reissue as RT makes sense, yes.

That is prone to difficulties though, given the lack of transparency in pricing, so not only the original outbound fare class (pricing) not being available anymore, even if yes it may price out as more RT...only a few who can do it - to both override the mileage and "tax" calculation, and if changing two OWs to RT can't really do it as an even exchange reissue either (int'l manual reissue). Possible, just not easy. Really depends on the agent you get and how much they advocate for you, and then to whom do they get through I'd expect.

This is VERY good to know and will surely help many here. Many thanks for posting and sharing! ^
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It is absolutely a policy. The fee is for EU origin tickets. If your ticket isn't EU origin (i.e. you live in the U.S., are transiting to/from your U.S. base on Delta both ways) they CAN NOT charge you the fee. It's just not an automated process to have the fee removed. I've done it 5-6 times, never an issue. This was discussed at length in the old "how to book award ticket" thread.

In my cases, the tickets were obviously RT (1-2 weeks apart). Having the return multiple months apart may be more difficult. But still, you should be able to have them "re-calculate" the taxes/fees as a RT fare. In the past when they have done this for me and no low miles availability was currently available, they had to "force" the availability of the originally booked segment and re-issue as a RT. With the change in the amount of low miles required, this may pose additional problems.
When was the last time you did this? The Wiki in the thread you point to even says that you'll be charged the EU origination fee. Can you point to something specific that says this is policy? I ask because what you state flies in the face of what every post in this forum says. The fee is based on the origin of the ticket. Living in the US has zero to do with it.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:58 am

Delta miles are like Sushi. They do not get better with age! If I see something reasonable i'll book it as it probably won't be there later.
RealHJ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.