Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Perhaps most pathetic reason for a delay I've seen - June 6 DL 2440 SEA-MSP redeye

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Perhaps most pathetic reason for a delay I've seen - June 6 DL 2440 SEA-MSP redeye

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by jackvogt
You only arrive 1 hr and 20 minutes late...its not that big of a deal. Mistakes happen. Luckily for you and the other passengers, MSP is a hub so it likely won't be a long wait for the next flight out. Its unfortunate and red eyes are typically problem free but its not that big of a deal.
Mistakes happen. But we in the industry use 24 hour time to AVOID this exact problem. A airline pilot of any level of experience should never had made this mistake. On their roster/duty emails it wouldn't say "1230AM" it would say 0030, so it's obvious what the time is.

I'm a ramp handler and I will admit that on occasion (with no consequence) when I've checked something real fast I've screwed up 1700 with 7pm or 1800 with 8pm. But after I take one critical look at whatever I'm reading, my brain snaps out of it.

What surprises me is why the pilot wasn't called when he missed his check-in time. The pilots don't show up right at 0030, he would've had to be there at like 2300, so maybe he was in fact drunk, or sleeping and wasn't able to be woken up? But this is a very surprising mistake. Arriving 1:45 late isn't a big deal, but this is a really simple mistake that should never happen, at least not in this business.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:51 pm

With such focus on on-time departures, I’m pretty sure Delta would take employee tardiness, even by one minute, pretty seriously.

Last edited by Widgets; Jun 6, 2018 at 5:06 pm
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Mistakes happen. But we in the industry use 24 hour time to AVOID this exact problem. A airline pilot of any level of experience should never had made this mistake.
Yes they can. Last year I was flying FRA-IAH and we were delayed due to weather. At 14:30 the pilot made an announcement that if we weren't in the air by 15:00 the crew would time out. Well 15:00 came and went and we took off at 15:30 and we couldn't understand why. Well 15:00 was GMT but he was using local time in his announcements which was GMT+1.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
How about this one:

Co-pilot forgets passport and delays SFO flight
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets
With such focus on on-time departures, I’m pretty sure Delta would take employee tardiness—even by one minute—pretty seriously.
i would bet my income for a year, the meeting that took place with the chief pilot in his office was not pleasant, a written warning was issued and the pilot’s job will be in serious jeapordy if it happens again...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:28 pm

Fine, if we want to add pathetic reasons for delays how about DTW-YYZ on DL delayed two hours because the First Officer scheduled for the flight put his passport in checked luggage on his flight commuting to work and Delta lost his bag.
I'm not making any kind of deal about the two hours but just adding another example of pathetic, maybe not pathetic but ironic would be the right word.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:16 pm

I truly admire how everyone here is perfect and never makes mistakes and agree that anyone who does make a mistake should immediately fired or better yet taken to the guillotine to have their head lopped off I once had departure delayed 1.5 hours in SEA because the pilot got stuck in traffic. Traffic that day was probably one of the worst traffic days I have ever seen in SEA (it was raining of course). Ya, some of us were pretty upset when we initially heard the news, but DL did everything they could to ensure we all made our connections (my 35 minute connection was delayed due to MX), and if we missed our connection they repeatedly said they would pay for hotels, we knew the excuse was real, and we realized we all make mistakes and everyone should get at least one mulligan. If its a pattern, different story, but come on, don't call for blood every time. Cut people some slack.
pvn likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Mistakes happen. ...

I'm a ramp handler and I will admit that on occasion (with no consequence) when I've checked something real fast I've screwed up 1700 with 7pm or 1800 with 8pm. But after I take one critical look at whatever I'm reading, my brain snaps out of it.
Sort of like when my bag connected in Atlanta on the way to Lima LIM but went to Wilmington ILM. The days before bags were scanned when being loaded.
Not a big deal, my bag arrived the next night.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
OK how? Just because you don't personally witness the guy getting chewed out doesn't mean he gets off scot-free.
Lol. The pilots are union. There will be no consequences whatsoever.

Not that I think there really should be. There was no malice involved.

Last edited by readywhenyouare; Jun 6, 2018 at 5:32 pm
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Co-pilot forgets passport and delays SFO flight

That one is pretty close
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Lol. The pilots are union. There will be no consequences whatsoever.

Not that I think there really should be. There was no malice involved.
Incorrect.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
Incorrect.
Delta didn't even fire the pilots who fell asleep and flew past MSP. The FAA had to intervene and pull their certificates. Of course then Delta had to let them go.

Did anything happen to the captain that crashed the MD-88 at LGA?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:38 pm

How great would it be if Delta.com or the app actually shared a reason for the delay? Hell even United is rolling out specific delay reasoning.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:56 am

Mistakes happen. But we in the industry use 24 hour time to AVOID this exact problem. A airline pilot of any level of experience should never had made this mistake. On their roster/duty emails it wouldn't say "1230AM" it would say 0030, so it's obvious what the time is.

What surprises me is why the pilot wasn't called when he missed his check-in time. The pilots don't show up right at 0030, he would've had to be there at like 2300, so maybe he was in fact drunk, or sleeping and wasn't able to be woken up? But this is a very surprising mistake. Arriving 1:45 late isn't a big deal, but this is a really simple mistake that should never happen, at least not in this business.
A couple of things to mention. The pilot was certainly called when he missed his check in time but probably did not live in SEA so could not jump in a car to get there. Many pilots in the SEA commute. The second thing is he absolutely will have a meeting with the chief pilot. If the first offense he might get off with a letter. If there is history he will see time off with a pay reduction and perhaps even termination if he is a repeat offender.
This is a easy mistake to make. The trip would have appeared to him as originating on the 6th with a 11:30 pm sign in. The first leg originated on the 6th but sign in was the 5th. The trip needs to show starting on the 6th because FAA legalities are based on departure date.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Jeff767

A couple of things to mention. The pilot was certainly called when he missed his check in time but probably did not live in SEA so could not jump in a car to get there. Many pilots in the SEA commute. The second thing is he absolutely will have a meeting with the chief pilot. If the first offense he might get off with a letter. If there is history he will see time off with a pay reduction and perhaps even termination if he is a repeat offender.
This is a easy mistake to make. The trip would have appeared to him as originating on the 6th with a 11:30 pm sign in. The first leg originated on the 6th but sign in was the 5th. The trip needs to show starting on the 6th because FAA legalities are based on departure date.
Just curious, but in this context could you clarify whether your usage of "commute" meant from the neighbouring suburbs, or if they'd fly in from a different city entirely (I'm guessing the latter)?

thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.