Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Perhaps most pathetic reason for a delay I've seen - June 6 DL 2440 SEA-MSP redeye

Perhaps most pathetic reason for a delay I've seen - June 6 DL 2440 SEA-MSP redeye

Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more

I was on DL 2440, the 12:30 AM SEA-MSP "red eye" on Wednesday, June 6. Departure was delayed to 1:45 AM. Mechanical? No. Weather? No. Turns out the First Officer interpreted 12:30 AM Wednesday as meaning "Wednesday night" instead of "Tuesday night". I am frankly surprised that the Delta gate personnel and, later, the captain, acknowledged this, as it seems just one step away from "the pilot is passed out in a bar".

They apparently rousted a locally-based reserve pilot out of bed, First Officer Dan, who came in to fly the plane.

Result: lots of missed connections in MSP, including my own. Normally redeyes from the west coast are among the most reliable flights you'll find, which is one of the main reasons I am a fan of them.

I wonder: if I were a "no show" on this flight because I did not understand what 12:30 AM Wednesday meant, and showed up 24 hours later instead, would Delta be forgiving?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:12 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by andrewk829
I wonder: if I were a "no show" on this flight because I did not understand what 12:30 AM Wednesday meant, and showed up 24 hours later instead, would Delta be forgiving?
Well they wouldn't make a note in your personnel file.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:21 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
You only arrive 1 hr and 20 minutes late...its not that big of a deal. Mistakes happen. Luckily for you and the other passengers, MSP is a hub so it likely won't be a long wait for the next flight out. Its unfortunate and red eyes are typically problem free but its not that big of a deal.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Well why didn't you give the pilot a reminder phone call
SoonerRed, sky303 and DiverDave like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Originally Posted by jackvogt
You only arrive 1 hr and 20 minutes late...its not that big of a deal. Mistakes happen. Luckily for you and the other passengers, MSP is a hub so it likely won't be a long wait for the next flight out. Its unfortunate and red eyes are typically problem free but its not that big of a deal.
Just to be clear, I am not claiming it's a tragedy or cause for tremendous suffering. I and the vast majority of people who post to FT have horror stories 200 times worse with respect to travel plans that went awry. But it is, nonetheless, annoying to have a delay that really didn't need to happen. With "redeyes" you just want to get where you're going, have a shower and, if possible, a quick nap. Unfortunately no showers at MSP Delta Sky Clubs.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It was 1 hour and 22 minutes late, at 7:00, according to the DL app. Tight connections to the early 6 am bank of flights would have been missed, but the next bank should be OK. It's Wednesday so rebooking space shouldn't be terribly tight.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:16 am
Suspended

Just to be clear, I am not claiming it's a tragedy or cause for tremendous suffering. I and the vast majority of people who post to FT have horror stories 200 times worse with respect to travel plans that went awry. But it is, nonetheless, annoying to have a delay that really didn't need to happen. With "redeyes" you just want to get where you're going, have a shower and, if possible, a quick nap. Unfortunately no showers at MSP Delta Sky Clubs.
Yeah, it's annoying when you are inconvenienced by anyone else. I mean it isn't as if you have ever inconvenienced anyone yourself and it is just karma biting you in the butt once again, right?

LOL, why did you even bother posting this silly thread?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
if this is the most pathetic reason you've seen for a delay you need to go fly United for awhile and report back on your findings.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Turns out the First Officer interpreted 12:30 AM Wednesday as meaning "Wednesday night" instead of "Tuesday night".
Pathetic? No. Foolish? Yes - if that were the real story. That pilot needs a do-over of all education since the 4th grade if true. I don't think he/she will repeat the mistake in the 30-year remainder of a Delta career.

Tell us, though - have you never made a foolish mistake at work? May I audit your bosses and co-workers?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I think what the OP is getting at is that it's apparently OK if an employee is late/not ready to work, but if one of use showed up late to the airport we wouldn't be shown any mercy.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:38 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCP2016
I think what the OP is getting at is that it's apparently OK if an employee is late/not ready to work, but if one of use showed up late to the airport we wouldn't be shown any mercy.
OK how? Just because you don't personally witness the guy getting chewed out doesn't mean he gets off scot-free.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
OK how? Just because you don't personally witness the guy getting chewed out doesn't mean he gets off scot-free.
Also DL gives passengers mercy all the time.
pvn, Widgets, hi55us and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by pvn
Do you have any evidence he did get chewed out? We can go around this circle all day.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:44 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Do you have any evidence he did get chewed out? We can go around this circle all day.
Why do I need to provide evidence?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Pilots and FAs look at their work schedule won't see only departure time but also reporting time, duty time, etc. One of these may be a previous day and that may create a confusion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.