Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL-FLL First Class goes out 5 empty! BIG Upgrade list

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL-FLL First Class goes out 5 empty! BIG Upgrade list

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Widgets

200 people shouldn’t be delayed so a few can upgrade. Imagine missing the last connecting flight of the day because someone else on your flight had to schlep their carryon up to First Class for a flight that only has one drink service. It would be like waiting behind a family of 5 who got PreCheck who didn’t know what to do.
When PMNW did onboard upgrades---which never seemed to be a problem for their GAs---if time was very tight, the elite would be told to move to the FC seat but leave carry on behind and not rearrange any bags until after takeoff when the seat belt sign went off. Problem solved---if indeed there were a problem.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

The door was shut 1 minute after the gate agent was supposed to have it closed by (pilots and flight attendants get 5 minutes to have all their work done between door closure and actual departure). If the gate agent was already 1 minute behind schedule, I can see why he/she didn’t have time to do upgrades. I’m all for encouraging as many battlefield upgrades as possible, but not if I’m gonna get to my destination delayed.

Other airlines might be willing and more consistent about releasing First Class seats earlier in the boarding process. It’s a trade-off. If you paid for first class, wouldn’t you be upset if the gate agent gave your seat away 15 minutes before departure so they could give it to someone who didn’t pay for it? I lean more toward releasing seats about 15 before departure, but I don’t think most paid F passengers would support that.
What really makes no sense here is that the OP was at the gate until T-10 when he was told to board or he would loose his seat. I find a problem with this as there were still 5 no shows for F. The GA came on at T-5 to shut the door, why did the pax have to board at T-10? There have been a couple of times were I was waiting for a potential no showmand the GA told me to wait until right before she was going to close the flight out to give the pax time to show up and then she UGd me at about T-7 and I was the last to board. I’m okay with not risking a delay for an UG but to tell a pax to board ~5 min before closing the door when there were still no-shows is ridiculous.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

What really makes no sense here is that the OP was at the gate until T-10 when he was told to board or he would loose his seat. I find a problem with this as there were still 5 no shows for F. The GA came on at T-5 to shut the door, why did the pax have to board at T-10? There have been a couple of times were I was waiting for a potential no showmand the GA told me to wait until right before she was going to close the flight out to give the pax time to show up and then she UGd me at about T-7 and I was the last to board. I’m okay with not risking a delay for an UG but to tell a pax to board ~5 min before closing the door when there were still no-shows is ridiculous.
It sounds like the GA was applying one standard to the elite standing in front of her/him and a different standard to the hypothetical FC passenger who might be on the way to the gate.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by fotographer
what no non-revs took the seats?? how could that happen..???????
my wife was #1 for an upgrade with 2 seats open. both of those seats were gone while she was standing at the gate ready to board.. you guessed it NON-REV.. she was so upset.. (well words that I would not use here)
There can be people in F doing SDS; they'll be classed as standbys, and on the standby list, but still clear directly into F ahead of medallions hoping to upgrade. Unless you have access to Delta's internal system, you can only see the names on the standby list, not the type.

What did Delta say when she complained about the situation?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Other airlines might be willing and more consistent about releasing First Class seats earlier in the boarding process. It’s a trade-off. If you paid for first class, wouldn’t you be upset if the gate agent gave your seat away 15 minutes before departure so they could give it to someone who didn’t pay for it? I lean more toward releasing seats about 15 before departure, but I don’t think most paid F passengers would support that.
But in Atlanta, which is the station in question, GAs have a very good judgment of potential misconnects since they know how long it takes from one concourse to another. I have been told to wait at the airplane door several times when I have a good chance and the gate agent just tells me which seat to take when they come down to the aircraft to hand in the paperwork.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
There can be people in F doing SDS; they'll be classed as standbys, and on the standby list, but still clear directly into F ahead of medallions hoping to upgrade. Unless you have access to Delta's internal system, you can only see the names on the standby list, not the type.

I don't think this is correct. AFAIK if you do standby (versus SDC) from a (paid) FC ticket, you're standing by for a coach seat. Since GAs process upgrades before standbys, you're not eligible for an upgrade because you're not yet confirmed onto the flight when upgrades are done.

What can happen is that a passenger with a FC ticket is confirmed on the flight but for some reason doesn't have a seat assignment. IIRC they would be listed on the DL "standby" list (just like coach passengers with seat request cards are) and be entitled to a FC seat assignment bwefore anyone on the upgrade list.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope wife reported this to DL. Please encourage her to do this and to escalate as necessary.
She had me call, (I am the phone guy that can get things done, according to her)
DL made some up lame excuse and offer my wife some miles.... again it seems if there is an issue of procedure with DL (or any other airline) they feel throwing miles will solve the problem
not understanding that it may be a good will gesture on their point, but it does not solve the root of the issues they have
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by sethb

The two in question where D: employees, both in uniform and very buddy buddy with the GA
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
She had me call, (I am the phone guy that can get things done, according to her)
DL made some up lame excuse and offer my wife some miles.... again it seems if there is an issue of procedure with DL (or any other airline) they feel throwing miles will solve the problem
not understanding that it may be a good will gesture on their point, but it does not solve the root of the issues they have
This is why I specified in my complaint I was not asking for compensation, but a solid response from a VP of loyalty or VP of Customer Service. I guess they laughed at that ! not happening
fotographer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by aero0729
This is why I specified in my complaint I was not asking for compensation, but a solid response from a VP of loyalty or VP of Customer Service. I guess they laughed at that ! not happening
Amazing that any company that touts benefits to its loyal customers does not provide a understandable response when questioned as to why the listed benefits were not offered.
Good luck getting any response that makes sense, just wait and see, they will probably throw some miles your way and assume you are happy.
Renes Points and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SDQBound
It has happened to me in both cases as well. The difference is that, from what I recall, the number of available seats is reduced once you get confirmed and not when your seat is assigned to you.
Number of available seats equals unassigned, not confirmed passengers.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:52 am

The two in question where D: employees, both in uniform and very buddy buddy with the GA
I hope this was communicated to DL in the complaint.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think this is correct. AFAIK if you do standby (versus SDC) from a (paid) FC ticket, you're standing by for a coach seat. Since GAs process upgrades before standbys, you're not eligible for an upgrade because you're not yet confirmed onto the flight when upgrades are done.

What can happen is that a passenger with a FC ticket is confirmed on the flight but for some reason doesn't have a seat assignment. IIRC they would be listed on the DL "standby" list (just like coach passengers with seat request cards are) and be entitled to a FC seat assignment bwefore anyone on the upgrade list.
My internal contact says paid F standby has priority over medallion upgrades for F seats.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:14 pm

Op mentions there was only one gate agent. This is a trend I have noticed more and more often lately. Either only one gate agent or a second one appearing literally at the very end of the boarding process. In Lga I was told they are short gate agents but I have noticed it at other airports too. One person trying to get out a flight on time is tough and probably makes last minute upgrades a low priority
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by tennessetom
Op mentions there was only one gate agent. This is a trend I have noticed more and more often lately. Either only one gate agent or a second one appearing literally at the very end of the boarding process. In Lga I was told they are short gate agents but I have noticed it at other airports too. One person trying to get out a flight on time is tough and probably makes last minute upgrades a low priority
Yes there was only 1 gate agent. That is why its hard to blame the gate agent 100%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.