Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-Flight Wifi? (2KU)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:56 am
Original Poster

In-Flight Wifi? (2KU)

Looking ahead to my upcoming 13+hr flight from ICN-DTW later this month, I noticed that Delta is offering an upgraded '2KU' wifi on board select aircraft (my A350 included). Supposedly it offers peak speeds of 15+ Mbps, which would be plenty enough to stream video and do things other than messaging and checking emails. In searching for reviews across the internet, I've seen a lot of people complaining about how this new service isn't living up to expectations - or worse - isn't working at all. Has anyone here attempted to use the new 2KU wifi service? If so, what was your experience? I'd definitely be willing to pay $28 for a service like that, but if it's not reliable then I'll find something else to do for 13 hours.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I got about 12Mbps down speed on a 2Ku aircraft.

There are several speed posts in this thread. 2Ku on Delta
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
I did ICN-DTW last month. When it worked, speeds were great. For just browsing on my phone, it felt like an LTE connection. As expected, connectivity cut out near the north North Pole. However, while it did return as we headed south again, I could no longer connect once we hit the west coast, despite Gogo indicating that it was available.

Movie selection on the IFE sucked, so if the connection had been more reliable, I would have had no problem with my $28 purchase. Even still, I'm more or less content with the value I received.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Titanium Elite, National Executive
I have the monthly internet subscription to GoGo and about 50% of the time it’s garbage. If work didn’t pay for it, there’s no way I would continue giving money to that garbage service.

That being said, everytime it does go out, I make sure to let Delta know my disappointment and am always compensated for it. The 2Ku service on the referbished and new planes can stream Netflix and connect to vpn no problem when it works but I’ve only tried it domestically so can’t speak to the international GoGo service.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by MNvikesNM
I have the monthly internet subscription to GoGo and about 50% of the time it’s garbage.
When using the monthly subscription on a 2KU aircraft, does it grant access to the higher tier, or just the lower basic browsing tier of service? Usually for day pass options on the 2KU flights, there are two options for speed but nothing I've seen provides clear details on which tier is provided to those who simply sign in with their existing plan.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
I did ICN-DTW last month. When it worked, speeds were great. For just browsing on my phone, it felt like an LTE connection. As expected, connectivity cut out near the north North Pole. However, while it did return as we headed south again, I could no longer connect once we hit the west coast, despite Gogo indicating that it was available.

Movie selection on the IFE sucked, so if the connection had been more reliable, I would have had no problem with my $28 purchase. Even still, I'm more or less content with the value I received.
Good to know, thanks! I very rarely use the IFE at all... I'd much rather bring my own content or have access to the internet. I'll probably purchase it and give it a shot.

Originally Posted by MNvikesNM
everytime it does go out, I make sure to let Delta know my disappointment and am always compensated for it.
How do they compensate you for the issue? Do they provide a full/partial refund? Skymiles? Extra pretzels? I'd feel a lot better about purchasing if I knew they are willing to guarantee the service. Not that $28 is much compared to the $2000 I spent on the flight, but still...
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Jnemechek
Good to know, thanks! I very rarely use the IFE at all... I'd much rather bring my own content or have access to the internet. I'll probably purchase it and give it a shot.

How do they compensate you for the issue? Do they provide a full/partial refund? Skymiles? Extra pretzels? I'd feel a lot better about purchasing if I knew they are willing to guarantee the service. Not that $28 is much compared to the $2000 I spent on the flight, but still...
Usually if it doesn't work, they will give you a free GoGo pass to use in the future IME.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Usually if it doesn't work, they will give you a free GoGo pass to use in the future IME.
That or some miles. The passes are useless to me since I already have a monthly subscription.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
4/5 flights this weekend had broken wifi. The A350s that have 2KU must have too many takers since reports are slow wifi when it does work. Also, if you want the real advantages of 2KU, you will need to pay a fortune for streaming and it MIGHT not work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.