Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to FC for short flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Upgrade to FC for short flights?

Morning Flyertalkers!
I've been a brand loyalist to United and American in the past, but now that, more or less, it's a level playing field on the elite battlefield, I go with schedules and fares. So, this will be the first time in many many years I'll be flying DL. I'm taking a trip from AVP to ATL to EYW in July and bought comfort plus seating, first row behind FC. I've been offered to buy up to FC for a little less than $300 for both legs. My question for you is... besides a slightly larger seat, is it worth it to buy up? I'm not a large guy, only have a 29 inch waistline, so fitting in a coach seat has never been a problem. Just don't know if the DL first class service on these routes is as hit or miss as it is on United and American. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:07 pm

If you are first row behind FC, on the equipment that is probably flying those routes, you will have more legroom than in FC. Probably no meals on those flights, but even if so, meal service has gone way downhill and definitely not worth $300. I would stick with C+.

Last edited by The Situation; Jun 1, 2018 at 12:32 pm Reason: Remove my stupid question from a dyslexic observation:(
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EYW = Key West. I personally wouldn't pay that much, but I'm fairly cheap.
davetravels likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
My take, on those flight segments, not worth it to pay that much for upgrade from W to F.

Someone once posted the rule of $1 per minute is a rough rule of thumb on whether or not to pay the upgrade.

You get a slightly larger seat, maybe a PDB, probably a second round of beverage service/re-fill, and a slightly more enhanced snack basket, and of course more the EQM bonus.

I'll buy-up on longer segments that are 2+ hours in flight, but not the short stuff.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Never look darkly at an upgrade.

I got an UG at the 5 day window for DCA-JFK two weeks ago. Normally, a ho hum ride on a CRJ-900, 42 minutes in the air. However, I ended up sitting on this particular flight for 3 hours 20 minutes, as JFK had a ground stop due to a visit from Air Force One, and then our plane had a mechanical which added another 35 minute delay. If I had not been sitting in a comfortable seat up front, I would have been beyond miserable.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
For one-way I think that's too expensive, personally, especially since you already have C+ and the flights are only a few hours each. Now, if you were offered $300 for a flight like LAX-ATL where it's over 4 hours continuously, I'd be a little more on the fence.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
total flown distance is 1360 miles. 300 seems a bit high, 200 would be reasonable to consider it. last time i took one of these offers i think i paid something like $225 for PHL-SLC-SMF and the first segment was almost 5 hours on a lie flat 757.

the calculus might change if you were going to check two bags and be stuck paying for them.

but still, thats $50 or something. $250 will buy a lot of drinks and good fried fish in EYW.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
I recently took a flight in Comfort + and was pleasantly surprised. I book paid F 99% of the time because I don’t fit into the seats in Y. Lots of legroom and nice selection of snacks

That said, if width is not a problem, Comfort plus should be fine for this length of trip, to me $300 one way is a bit steep especially if there is no meal service (value $8 I know). First row of comfort plus may have more legroom as others have noted depending on the AC type.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.