Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage Limit - connections on different airlines/classes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

I'm traveling on two separate tickets, all bought through Delta:

LAX - SEA connection to CDG
this part of the trip is one ticket
LAX-SEA is on Delta
SEA-CDG is on Air France

In Paris, I'll connect to NCE
this is a separate ticket bought through Delta. Flying on Air France

LAX - CDG is business class
CDG - NCE is economy

Even though I'm on 2 separate tickets, I don't anticipate any issue checking through checked luggage from LAX - NCE since everything is Skyteam. My question involves luggage weight. Weight limit for business is 70lbs. Weight limit for economy is 50lb.

If my bag is between 50-70lbs, does anyone have any experience regarding whether I can expect a problem checking through the bag to NCE since the final leg will be economy?

My companion and I will each by checking bags. We're on separate tickets. I'm Diamond and she's Gold if it makes a difference.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:12 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
You bag can be checked in all the way to NCE provided that: 1) You have a competent check-in agent and 2) You have not done OLCI for the CDG-NCE segment.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If DL checks your bag to NCE, you will have the allowance for LAX-CDG.

If DL checks your bag to CDG and you must claim it there and then check it in with AF as a new passenger originating at CDG, you will have the allowance for the internal AF flight on CDG-NCE.

You are theoretically not entitled to the international allowance on the internal flight, so you don't have a complaint about the weight limit if it doesn't work out.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info regarding not checking in for the flight to NCE online. As Air France wont assign seats on inter-France flights until checkin, I was planning to check in at 24hr.

But better to risk worse seats on a 1 hr flight vs having to pick up and recheck luggage at CDG.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by SDQBound
You bag can be checked in all the way to NCE provided that: 1) You have a competent check-in agent and 2) You have not done OLCI for the CDG-NCE segment.
What does OLCI have to do with it?

DL does not need to do anything in regards to check-in in order to interline baggage. They just need your flight information.

I often interline baggage checking in with DL and going onward on a separate VA ticket without issue, OLCI or not.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enoscabell
Thanks for the info regarding not checking in for the flight to NCE online. As Air France wont assign seats on inter-France flights until checkin, I was planning to check in at 24hr.

But better to risk worse seats on a 1 hr flight vs having to pick up and recheck luggage at CDG.
Apples and oranges. You may check in or not as you choose for your CDG-NCE flight and that will not affect whether DL will check your bag onto the second ticket.

Do be certain to bring a print out of your second e-ticket (not the reservation confirmation, but the e-ticket receipt) as that will assist DL in locating the second ticket.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

For what it's worth, I bought the CDG - NCE ticket via Delta. The fare wasn't searchable online, but Delta sold it to me when I called.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:10 pm
Suspended

That too has nothing to do with the underlying issue. The sole issue is checking your bags at LAX to NCE. Who sold what ticket and whether you have checked in online won't matter.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
What does OLCI have to do with it?

DL does not need to do anything in regards to check-in in order to interline baggage. They just need your flight information.

I often interline baggage checking in with DL and going onward on a separate VA ticket without issue, OLCI or not.
I am talking about a very specific case with AF domestic flights. It's just a system limitation. If you have two separate tickets like the OP, and OLCI for the domestic flight before you check your baggage, the agent at the airport cannot tag your bag all the way to your intended final destination. I made the mistake twice because AF has a real auto check-in (they generate your bp and email it to you without the need to go to the APP like Delta does) and now I have to uncheck the auto check-in box to avoid this from happening.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Apples and oranges. You may check in or not as you choose for your CDG-NCE flight and that will not affect whether DL will check your bag onto the second ticket.
Unless things changed recently for good, DL or AF would have issues checking the bag on the second ticket if the passenger is already checked in for the segment. The good thing is that the AF app added a "cancel" check-in option so if one makes the mistake of checking in, it no longer requires to call and speak with an AF representative to get this done.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Unless things changed recently for good, DL or AF would have issues checking the bag on the second ticket if the passenger is already checked in for the segment. The good thing is that the AF app added a "cancel" check-in option so if one makes the mistake of checking in, it no longer requires to call and speak with an AF representative to get this done.
Strange. At least when checking in with DL, being checked in for the other ticket I know doesn't do anything. In fact did this just couple weeks back. OP will have two DL 006 issued tickets and reservations. They will simply tell the computer to check bags through on both DL reservations. What happens with AF system shouldn't matter.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Strange. At least when checking in with DL, being checked in for the other ticket I know doesn't do anything. In fact did this just couple weeks back. OP will have two DL 006 issued tickets and reservations. They will simply tell the computer to check bags through on both DL reservations. What happens with AF system shouldn't matter.
I will be more than happy to know that this is fixed, because at a certain moment it became a nightmare.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
My understanding is the DL agent literally doesn't need to know anything about the reservation in order to tag a bag on a flight partner. They just input the airline code and flight number. So it's very strange indeed that you had trouble in the past.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:41 am

In my experience as long as the connection was 6 hours or less and I had proof (itinerary or boarding pass has worked) as long as the agent knew how to add the bag destination I've had no problems. You will always receive the first flights baggage allowance.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

I'm now able to answer my own question. The gate agent was able to check the bags through to NCE, and though both were over the 50 lb limit, we ran into no issues. She needed only the flight # for the CDG-NCE connection. She didn't need my ticket # or confirmation code for the second flight, so it didn't matter whether or not I was already checked in on Air France. In fact, Delta was not able to check me in on the 2nd flight. I still had to check in directly with Air France.

She did have to check with a supervisor, so I guess there's always the potential to run into an issue, but it certainly can be done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.