Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ed Bastian Sighting

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Richard Anderson used to fly the jump seat if it meant another customer could fly in his seat.
Is that allowed by the FAA if you aren't crew? Could a passenger sit in a jump seat?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by vincentharris
When I saw him at JFK the more interesting part to me was the fact he was sitting in the gate area (empty gate area no flights leaving from it) on the phone, and not the Sky Club etc.
Maybe he figured people would be more likely to recognize him in the Sky Club and, therefore, harass him.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Is that allowed by the FAA if you aren't crew? Could a passenger sit in a jump seat?
It’s allowable if you have received the necessary training to operate as crew in the event of an emergency. My understanding is he had and maintained that training, in part for that reason.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:34 pm
Suspended

My father worked as a steward after college for General Motors in the 1970s. Back then, none of the board members nor senior executives were allowed to fly commercial. General Motors had a fleet of several aircraft. It also restricted how many board members could travel on each plane together, so when they would have a meeting the entire fleet would fly there and back.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
My father worked as a steward after college for General Motors in the 1970s. Back then, none of the board members nor senior executives were allowed to fly commercial. General Motors had a fleet of several aircraft. It also restricted how many board members could travel on each plane together, so when they would have a meeting the entire fleet would fly there and back.
This is a common risk management rule in many organizations, including flying on the same commercial flights. It's for "key" people, not just the Board of Directors.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is a common risk management rule in many organizations, including flying on the same commercial flights. It's for "key" people, not just the Board of Directors.
Very true. History shows us it is very difficult for airlines to find replacement CEOs with the skills necessary to raise prices, shorten legroom, eliminate inflight food choices, raise club membership prices, devalue frequent flyer miles, screw the employee unions, add surcharges, cut award availability, and take a huge golden parachute when the airline profitability falls. When they find one of these rare individuals, they need to do everything possible to keep him safe and healthy and on the job for as many years as possible.
hockeyinsider likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.