Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta JFK Mumbai service (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta JFK Mumbai service (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: UK Silver, UA Gold
Has Delta cancelled the nonstop BOM service for good - or have they stated they might restart some time next year?
I loved my D1 experience earlier this year...
Old Nov 3, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by deepakvalecha
Has Delta cancelled the nonstop BOM service for good - or have they stated they might restart some time next year?
I loved my D1 experience earlier this year...
I'd assume it's done for a long time. It had been flying as a cargo flight from JFK with 77Ls until the retirement of that fleet this past weekend. I doubt they're going to deploy A359s as cargo aircraft, though I suppose it's possible.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by cmd320
I'd assume it's done for a long time. It had been flying as a cargo flight from JFK with 77Ls until the retirement of that fleet this past weekend. I doubt they're going to deploy A359s as cargo aircraft, though I suppose it's possible.
DL is continuing the BOM cargo flights using an A333 with a stop in FRA.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
I flew UA's EWR-DEL non-stop in mid-October, and so did my brother in early October (SFO-DEL). While the service in J was subpar at best, the flights were nearly 70% full. I have heard similar experiences from pax flying to BOM. I anticipate these numbers will increase during the holiday season.

In my opinion, DL is really missing out... I suppose the cargo flights to BOM are to precisely "save the slots"?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metalblaze
I flew UA's EWR-DEL non-stop in mid-October, and so did my brother in early October (SFO-DEL). While the service in J was subpar at best, the flights were nearly 70% full. I have heard similar experiences from pax flying to BOM. I anticipate these numbers will increase during the holiday season.

In my opinion, DL is really missing out... I suppose the cargo flights to BOM are to precisely "save the slots"?
I’d guess the cargo is actually profitable.

That said, I don’t think I’d ever choose to fly UA/DL over EK/QR, even if a DXB/DOH transfer is required.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 7:04 pm

I’d guess the cargo is actually profitable.

That said, I don’t think I’d ever choose to fly UA/DL over EK/QR, even if a DXB/DOH transfer is required.
Suum cuique...I always prefer non-stops.
FlyerWx likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 3:55 pm

Suum cuique...I always prefer non-stops.
DL 359 range is over 8000 miles and JFK-BOM is around 7800 miles, which makes the eastbound nonstop very do-able. Westbound might be kinda iffy (just like JNB-ATL is - when Delta resumes these South African flights in late March 2021, the westbound leg will have a fuel stop at CPT). Back before the NW-DL merger, NW used their A332's from DTW-AMS (or MSP-AMS) and then on to India - but it wasn't Bombay). I believe this was in the early 2000's. It was a joint venture with KLM but on NWA metal.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
Back before the NW-DL merger, NW used their A332's from DTW-AMS (or MSP-AMS) and then on to India - but it wasn't Bombay). I believe this was in the early 2000's. It was a joint venture with KLM but on NWA metal.
NW ran AMS-BOM on DC-10s for a long time, later on that was switched to an A330 and remained well after the merger ending a few years ago.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
NW ran AMS-BOM on DC-10s for a long time, later on that was switched to an A330 and remained well after the merger ending a few years ago.
It ran till KLM could pickup the service under a new bilateral agreement between India and EU. Since it was on a US carrier, the flight was cover by US/India agreements.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Exactly - frequently flew to BOM via AMS on a DC-10 from EWR...then continued onwards with the (same?) aircraft to BOM...was later switched to the A330.

We once had an airconditioner fire/smoking while over the TWA crash site - but continued onward to AMS.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:46 am

With UA starting service from JFK in 2021, I wonder if they will eventually transfer EWR-DEL/BOM flights to JFK. Competing with ME3 will be tricky...but I am sure there will be a captive audience for non-stop flights to India.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With UA starting service from JFK in 2021, I wonder if they will eventually transfer EWR-DEL/BOM flights to JFK. Competing with ME3 will be tricky...but I am sure there will be a captive audience for non-stop flights to India.
Highly, highly, doubt that would ever happen. UA relies on their hub to help feed those flights, something they'd have none of at JFK.
IndyHoosier and FlyerWx like this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Highly, highly, doubt that would ever happen. UA relies on their hub to help feed those flights, something they'd have none of at JFK.
Exactly.

If they want to *add* a service, that would be fine - but I only fly ex-EWR - like many others...

JFK is too much of a hike through traffic at most times - especially for the current UA48 timings...
Old Feb 23, 2021, 2:16 pm

any update on this or still looking unlikely with the A359?
Old Sep 10, 2021, 4:33 am

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...k-delhi-route/

Starting October 31st, both UA and AA will have non-stop service to either DEL and/or BOM from the NYC area, with more planned in the future (e.g., AA's SEA-BLR).

Any chance DL might re-introduce JFK-BOM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.