Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta JFK Mumbai service (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist

From the Delta news hub:

Delta Air Lines will begin nonstop flights between the United States and Mumbai, India, next year, linking the U.S. with one of its strongest trading partners.

The announcement follows agreements between the U.S. and the governments of the United Arab Emirates and Qatar to address the issue of government subsidies provided to state-owned carriers in those nations. The framework created by the agreement allows Delta to move forward with service to India, a market long impacted by government-subsidized Middle Eastern airlines.

This move will mark a return to India for Delta, which was forced to exit the market after subsidized state-owned airlines made service economically unviable.

"It is exciting to be able to announce Delta's return to India from the U.S. as part of our vision to expand Delta's reach internationally," said Delta CEO Ed Bastian. "We are thankful to the president for taking real action to enforce our Open Skies trade deals, which made this new service possible. We are looking forward to providing customers in the U.S. and India with Delta's famously reliable, customer-focused service operated by the best employees in the industry."

The service is subject to government approval; full schedule details will be announced later this year.

Delta also intends to expand its existing codeshare relationship with partner Jet Airways to provide seamless connections to other destinations within India, subject to government approvals.
arunhn likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: dl platinum
I'd assume JFK on A350. Could be ATL on 777LR

Last edited by evanr81; May 24, 2018 at 8:56 am
Old May 24, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Quite odd that it doesn't even specify the U.S. origin. 'In 2019' has that Southwest to Hawaii kind of vagueness to it. Shameful.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Quite odd that it doesn't even specify the U.S. origin. 'In 2019' has that Southwest to Hawaii kind of vagueness to it. Shameful.
You have a very high bar for shameful behavior then.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I disagree. They wanted to get the word out as soon as possible that it was coming, but probably don't have all the details finalized yet. They could have several options currently in planning, but which route (or routes) make the final cut through the approval process is still an unknown. Better to let people know in general that service is coming rather than specify a routing that may not come to light.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Sure wish they would restart DXB
Ysitincoach, irfan23 and browan04 like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
What was preventing them from flying to Mumbai previously? Not up to speed on the reason.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by apodo77
What was preventing them from flying to Mumbai previously? Not up to speed on the reason.
At least partly because they had no reliable feed on the other end. That's different now with Jet Airways and their Mumbai hub
Old May 24, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
... said Delta CEO Ed Bastian. "We are thankful to the president for taking real action to enforce our Open Skies trade deals, which made this new service possible....
What a load of BS from government-subsidized DL's pathetic whiner in chief.
The US3 got absolutely nothing out of the supposed settlement and continue to propagate lies.
I for one will never fly DL internationally and reward DL for its disingenuous hypocrisy.
apodo77, kcmd, gbc9174 and 1 others like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Just saw this on Twitter moments ago and may take advantage of this once we know the dates and USA departure city.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
The sugar coating continues. DL, UA and AA got very little out of the whole huff and puff over the ME3 so this had to already have been in the works. And if it were that bad, why has UA been able to keep their EWR-India service going all these years?
IndyHoosier and DCP2016 like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Wow, could they spin this piece any harder? There were more not-so-subtle references to the ME3 than there were references to India.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by evanr81
I'd assume JFK on A350. Could be ATL on 777LR
It will happen. Last time, both JFK & ATL-BOM who tried it before and it didn't workout so well. Due to low demands.

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Sure wish they would restart DXB
Doubt it. It will happen. If they restart nonstop ATL-DXB. It's up to Delta.

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Wow, could they spin this piece any harder? There were more not-so-subtle references to the ME3 than there were references to India.
Please! No more talking about ME3. They had enough already. Just forget about that.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by N830MH
Please! No more talking about ME3. They had enough already. Just forget about that.
Tell that to Bastien.
As long as he keeps lying about the ME3 and perpetuates his stupid woe is us US3 BS. I'll keep posting about it.
Yo Ed, here's an idea... try competing on service @:-)
Old May 24, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by N830MH
I wish! Delta won't stop complaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.