Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyway to Transfer United Miles to Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyway to Transfer United Miles to Delta?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
There are sites / forums out there that put people together in similar situations, where you can book UA tix for them, and they can book DL tix for you using eachother's miles (at least I remember one such site years ago). There are multiple ways you can ensure that value is normalized so neither gets a disproportionate advantage. I suppose the trust-factor would be the only potential negative.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by JayMatt19
Was closer to EWR, now a stone's throw away from JFK
Got approx 450K miles left (been using them in anticipation of the move)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm leaning towards miles tickets to Europe with one of the partner airlines.
There are a whole lot of Star Alliance partners flying out of JFK, and 450k is a lot of saver business redemptions.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm leaning towards miles tickets to Europe with one of the partner airlines.
In that case definitely not worth transferring. There are plenty of *A partners out of JFK that you could use to go to Asia (BR / NH / OZ / CA) or Europe (LH / LX / OS / TK) or Africa (SA / MS) and occasionally even Australia/New Zealand via Asia (BR / NH / OZ / CA + TG and limited SQ when you get to Asia)

450k is a 3-4 J trips and potentially 2 F trips if you play your cards right
JayMatt19 likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by CGNC
Sounds like someone is gonna be loaded up on magazines for a couple years!
Even better than magazine subscriptions, is using the shopping portal to buy a local Groupon. I find $5-$10 shops, they earn 2mi/$ and resets the 18mo clock. Even if you don't use the Groupon, a $5 renewal might be worth it

EWR isn't a world away from JFK either! It isn't like you moved from SFO to ATL

Last edited by Gig103; May 24, 2018 at 12:17 pm
Old May 24, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Duke787
In that case definitely not worth transferring. There are plenty of *A partners out of JFK that you could use to go to Asia (BR / NH / OZ / CA) or Europe (LH / LX / OS / TK) or Africa (SA / MS) and occasionally even Australia/New Zealand via Asia (BR / NH / OZ / CA + TG and limited SQ when you get to Asia)

450k is a 3-4 J trips and potentially 2 F trips if you play your cards right
And on better carriers than many of the SkyTeam options OP could get with DL miles. If I were OP I'd focus on how to just use of the UA miles booked via UA partner redemptions versus trying to convert them over to DL.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platnum, United, Avis President's Club, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Even better than magazine subscriptions, is using the shopping portal to buy a local Groupon. I find $5-$10 shops, they earn 2mi/$ and resets the 18mo clock. Even if you don't use the Groupon, a $5 renewal might be worth it

EWR isn't a world away from JFK either! It isn't like you moved from SFO to ATL
SFO to ATL might be quicker during NY rush hour
Old May 24, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platnum, United, Avis President's Club, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
And on better carriers than many of the SkyTeam options OP could get with DL miles. If I were OP I'd focus on how to just use of the UA miles booked via UA partner redemptions versus trying to convert them over to DL.
Thanks.
While that doesn't help me domestically, I do travel internationally once or twice a year.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks.
While that doesn't help me domestically, I do travel internationally once or twice a year.
Just make sure you have activity in your account so they don't expire, and use them to fly J or F class, either on a partner out of JFK, or out of EWR. Why not plan an amazing vacation, perhaps with a few segments of travel, with someone special and just burn those miles on nice lay flat seats to Europe or Asia or beyond?
Old May 24, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by TheHorta
There are sites / forums out there that put people together in similar situations, where you can book UA tix for them, and they can book DL tix for you using eachother's miles (at least I remember one such site years ago). There are multiple ways you can ensure that value is normalized so neither gets a disproportionate advantage. I suppose the trust-factor would be the only potential negative.
The big negative is that one or both programs could see this a violation of the terms and cancel the ticket!
JayMatt19 and jinglish like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jinglish
There are a whole lot of Star Alliance partners flying out of JFK, and 450k is a lot of saver business redemptions.
Exactly. Plus LH F or NH F.

It's not worth even talking about a transfer to DL.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
I have no use for United miles either, so I just convert them to Marriott 1:1 via Rewards Plus. From there, if I want to convert to Delta at the same ratio, I do it via travel package.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Saidoh
I have no use for United miles either, so I just convert them to Marriott 1:1 via Rewards Plus.
Oh, that is just sad. 30K United miles getting a $150 hotel room.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL GM
I just moved.
I used to fly United as it gave me the most options.
Now I am closer to another airport, and Delta gives me the most options - with very very few United options

I am aware that I can get a status match, but is there a way to transfer my miles from United to Delta?
Years ago I remember that there was a site that allowed such things, but I don't remember its name.
Would I be able to transfer the miles via another program? e.g. United to Starwoods to Delta?
Is such a move doable? If so, is it even worth it?
Doable? Sure in a very roundabout way. Worth it? God no.

I went through this myself and just decided to burn the miles on a partner airline (Thai Airways, which I can't recommend enough). Even if you don't want to redeem something out of Newark, I'm certain you could find a pretty good TPAC or TATL redemption from JFK or even try YYZ or ORD or another major hub that is an easy, cheap positioning flight on DL away from JFK.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:08 pm

I just moved.
Years ago I remember that there was a site that allowed such things, but I don't remember its name.
Would I be able to transfer the miles via another program?
There are a handful of sites that let you buy and sell miles, but most of them violate the terms of your agreement with the airlines. I wouldn't do it.

If you really can't use your miles, perhaps donate them the charity?
Old May 25, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by J.M. Hoffman
There are a handful of sites that let you buy and sell miles, but most of them violate the terms of your agreement with the airlines. I wouldn't do it.

If you really can't use your miles, perhaps donate them the charity?

OP has already indicated that OP will use them on a partner award for international.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.