Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now boarding C+

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by vincentharris
But honestly even in ATL how many PMs and DMs are really on board?

my guess has always been the vast majority of SKY was GM and C+
During peak hours? It's all PMs/DMs (and then presumably paid C+ as well). While extreme, I've been #21 on the C+ upgrade list before as a DM (only on an H fare though). I can guarantee you that on any longer routes during peak there are no Gold medallions sitting in C+ via upgrades.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:17 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by ethernal
That's a big downgrade for DMs - pretty much the only non-choice benefit to being a DM over a PM is getting to board before all the PMs and making sure your bag is stowed close to your seat.
I don't understand why that poster feels that PMs should get to board with PREM but I seriously doubt that would actually result in DMs getting separated from their bags. The bigger "downgrade" would be to their egos, they would feel less special if more people got to board with them.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by pvn
I don't understand why that poster feels that PMs should get to board with PREM but I seriously doubt that would actually result in DMs getting separated from their bags. The bigger "downgrade" would be to their egos, they would feel less special if more people got to board with them.
This is just wrong. As of today, I can wait until PREM has just about finished boarding and get on the plane and board at the very end and know I'll have bin space. If I am in C+ and I board at the end of the SKY line because I arrived late then I frequently have to play the salmon and put my bag 5 rows back.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I like boarding PREM. Of course, I typically fly F/J, so status doesn't play into it. No reason to further dilute DM by offering current DM-only benefits to lower tiers. That's the whole reason behind "status."
Old May 23, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I like boarding PREM. Of course, I typically fly F/J, so status doesn't play into it. No reason to further dilute DM by offering current DM-only benefits to lower tiers. That's the whole reason behind "status."
I agree. But boarding C+ before Sky is a dilution of status too.
TheHorta likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Gig103
I agree, somewhat, but it's clear (and was also discussed in another thread a few weeks back) that this has nothing to do with the boarding process, but rather to enhance the perceived value of C+ and drive upgrade revenue for DL. Also, most PM's and certainly all DMs will, more often than not, receive UGs to C+ or better. So in that case, it'll actually be a benefit for sub-DM medallion holders.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Also, most PM's and certainly all DMs will, more often than not, receive UGs to C+ or better.
Your optimism is endearing
TheHorta likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Fine, but this should still come after Sky Priority, right? It's not supposed to go Prem --> C+ --> SP
{deleted}
Old May 23, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
Of all the things that could and should be complained about (i.e. decrease in the quality of meals), this is just being overdramatic. I really don't understand why everyone is getting so bent out of shape over this. On nearly all flights, there is significant overlap between C+ and SP customers, so most passengers will see no difference in the timing of when they board. As far as bin space goes, the math is still the same (Prem+sky=Prem+C++Sky), so I am not really sure why people think they might be less likely to have bin space. In fact, it may help people be closer to their bag since, C+ bags will be more confined to the C+ section since there will be fewer people boarding at the same time taking that space.
TheHorta likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation
Of all the things that could and should be complained about (i.e. decrease in the quality of meals), this is just being overdramatic. I really don't understand why everyone is getting so bent out of shape over this. On nearly all flights, there is significant overlap between C+ and SP customers, so most passengers will see no difference in the timing of when they board. As far as bin space goes, the math is still the same (Prem+sky=Prem+C++Sky), so I am not really sure why people think they might be less likely to have bin space. In fact, it may help people be closer to their bag since, C+ bags will be more confined to the C+ section since there will be fewer people boarding at the same time taking that space.
It slows down the boarding even more. Maybe only a minute or so, but it slows it down. Your point is completely valid: it is stupid and has negative consequences. So why would they do it?
Old May 23, 2018, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Fine, but this should still come after Sky Priority, right? It's not supposed to go Prem --> C+ --> SP
No...because C+ is part of SKY along with PM/GM and Elite+
jdrtravel likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
But honestly even in ATL how many PMs and DMs are really on a flight
flying DCA -MSP right. Is ans there are 44 people on the UG list with 0 F available. Standing next to a DM who is number 19 on that last. So on some flights the answer is a lot. This is on a A320 with 160 total seats.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by The Situation
Until now, I thought C+ boarded in Zone1, not SP. That said, I disagree I was being overdramatic; the existence of loyalty and FF clubs is to provide intangible perks to make a customer feel more welcome and more likely to choose a product over the competitors So as petty as you might think the complaint is, turning around and selling that status does snub people who might be choosing DL over AA not because they are hub-captive, but because they like the perks. Check out the Hilton forum to see how many Diamonds over there are upset that you can now get the top tier perks with a $450 credit card membership.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:49 pm

Some benefits of GM or higher:
F/C+ upgrades, preferred seating, waived bag fees, waived SDC/SDS fees, priority checkin/boarding/baggage handling/phone lines/security lines, lounge access traveling intl.
Of these benefits, if DL were to make a slight adjustment, in which a negative impact is perceived but not real, which benefit is most inconsequential? To me its boarding. I see this as a benefit because I will likely be seated closer to my bag, which is a lot better than now when a few P.O.'ed elites drop their bags in the C+ bins on their way to the back because they are upset they didn't get upgraded. Save your effort and whining for something that is actually material.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:54 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
If this becomes permeanant I would think FC then PREM (DM and PM) then C+ then SKY (GM and FO) then zone 1 etc etc etc
Last year a lot of people ridiculed AA for going to 9 boarding groups, but I honestly think it's improved the boarding process because there is less confusion with people in group "1" thinking they are boarding first and then not understanding why there are so many boarding groups ahead of them.

If FC is called separately from PREM, then DL Zone 1 is already the fourth to board, and if C+ is added, it makes Zone 1 fifth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.