Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid upgrade on award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milesrunner
Yes, Amex Plat Delta Card companion. Delta could just consider it a a paid ticket after buying an upgrade with dollars, but I guess they don't. Just wondering if anybody has posted any MQMs in this situation.
Given that you can purchase upgrades for tens of dollars (particularly C+), I see no reason why they "should" consider award tickets to be revenue fares eligible for MQM earning.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
Given that you can purchase upgrades for tens of dollars (particularly C+), I see no reason why they "should" consider award tickets to be revenue fares eligible for MQM earning.
Well, it's not an award ticket, but rather a companion fare, so I can see how it could be a bit murky.
milesrunner likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
You can pay to UG to FC on award tickets, but the amount fluctuates wildly depending on route. I recently booked main cabin on a JFK-SEA one way for like 11K miles, whereas the FC cost would have been around 16.5K. For some reason I elected not to use the additional miles, assuming I'd get a decent FCM offer. It never dropped below $858 for me, which clearly wouldnt have been a good value on a 5-hour flight. Wont make that mistake again!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK C+ doesn't earn a MQM bonus (doesn't this go by the underlying coach fare class?) while FC upgrades do earn MQM (presumably only for the primary traveler on a companion ticket offer) if they're done before OLCI or day of departure (which I suspect really means when the flight goes under airport control, typically at T-24).
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK C+ doesn't earn a MQM bonus (doesn't this go by the underlying coach fare class?) while FC upgrades do earn MQM (presumably only for the primary traveler on a companion ticket offer) if they're done before OLCI or day of departure (which I suspect really means when the flight goes under airport control, typically at T-24).
I was referring to the idea buying a C+ upgrade to potentially qualify an award ticket or companion on a certificate as MQM earning at all. Presumably, if DL decided to change an award ticket to a revenue fare for FC upgrades, a C+ upgrade could also be used to convert an award to revenue fare for MQM earning (even if it didn't earn the bonus MQM's). Either way, it's seems pretty clear that DL does not intend to offer MQM earning on such upgrades and would not get my hopes up they will change their mind.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
Presumably, if DL decided to change an award ticket to a revenue fare for FC upgrades, a C+ upgrade could also be used to convert an award to revenue fare for MQM earning (even if it didn't earn the bonus MQM's). .

They would not do this because it still would not be a revenue fare. Paying for the upgrade does not mean that you paid cash for the ticket; an upgrade is just an upgrade. You are still sitting in that seat for a (usually substantial) discount over buying it outright.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.