Paid upgrade on award ticket

Old May 20, 18, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Paid upgrade on award ticket

When I look at my booking of an award ticket there is an option to pay for a first class upgrade. Is this possible?
Old May 20, 18, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Surely. For example, on three upcoming award flights, I am in C+ on one, and an upgrade to first is $192 (NY to Atlanta), on another I am currently in coach, with offers for C+ and First from $105 and $417, respectively.(NY to Daytona), and finally NY- St. Louis its $41 for C+ and $95 for first.

If you have any Medallion status, you and your companion are eligible for complimentary upgrades. Of course, the higher your status, the more likely that may be. And a host of other factors come into play, such as the route you are traveling.

You can see both the offers for an upgrade as well as the upgrade request for Medallions under the Trip Details for that trip in My Trips.

Last edited by daloosh; May 20, 18 at 5:51 pm
Old May 20, 18, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, HiltonHHonors Gold, Hertz PC (thru DL)
Originally Posted by Skicruiser58 View Post
When I look at my booking of an award ticket there is an option to pay for a first class upgrade. Is this possible?
Yes. I did it a few weeks ago.
Old May 20, 18, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
As others have said, yes, but also want to confirm that this is relatively new. DL did not use to offer any cash upgrades on mileage tickets.
Old Jun 12, 18, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta Sky Miles Silver, United Mileage Plus Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Do you happen to know as a medallion member (I am recently silver via the match challenge) if only one companion will be eligible for complimentary upgrade or multiple companions? There are 3 of us traveling on award tickets in July and initially, it said the flights were NOT upgrade eligible so I called and they took my husband off into his own reservation number and then put my son and I as upgrade eligible. The rep said my husband would be eligible for upgrade 24 hours ahead. I questioned that as I mentioned the website says "you and a companion" not multiple and she said he'd be eligible but since he is on a separate confirmation code that we'd have to request the upgrade. This is all new to me as a long time United status flyer so do you know if what she told me is correct in practice?
Old Jun 12, 18, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chapmanj9 View Post
Do you happen to know as a medallion member (I am recently silver via the match challenge) if only one companion will be eligible for complimentary upgrade or multiple companions? There are 3 of us traveling on award tickets in July and initially, it said the flights were NOT upgrade eligible so I called and they took my husband off into his own reservation number and then put my son and I as upgrade eligible. The rep said my husband would be eligible for upgrade 24 hours ahead. I questioned that as I mentioned the website says "you and a companion" not multiple and she said he'd be eligible but since he is on a separate confirmation code that we'd have to request the upgrade. This is all new to me as a long time United status flyer so do you know if what she told me is correct in practice?
Only 1. Its the reason neither were eligible when all three of you were on 1 reservation .
chapmanj9 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 18, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by chapmanj9 View Post
The DL policy on complimentary upgrades with companions is:

1. Medallion + one companion in the reservation are eligible for and treated (for upgrade purposes) as the status of the Medallion
2. with multiple companions on one reservation, eligible for upgrade IF everyone is a Medallion (priority depends on how you check in)
3. with multiple companions on one reservation if anyone is a general member, then no one is eligible
4. Medallion + one companion on separate reservations clear at their respective priorities (general companion member clears 24 hours out at the earliest)

This is why you were initially ineligible on the same reservation (multiple companions, general members) but you + son became eligible when your husband was split out.

The last point is also probably what the agent was thinking of when they told you your husband might clear but no sooner than 24 hours. However I am skeptical that you can simultaneously apply (1) & (4) as a workaround to (3). A GA might do it for you as a favor but it runs counter to my interpretation of the rules.
chapmanj9 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 18, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
The DL policy on complimentary upgrades with companions is:

1. Medallion + one companion in the reservation are eligible for and treated (for upgrade purposes) as the status of the Medallion
2. with multiple companions on one reservation, eligible for upgrade IF everyone is a Medallion (priority depends on how you check in)
3. with multiple companions on one reservation if anyone is a general member, then no one is eligible
4. Medallion + one companion on separate reservations clear at their respective priorities (general companion member clears 24 hours out at the earliest)

This is why you were initially ineligible on the same reservation (multiple companions, general members) but you + son became eligible when your husband was split out.

The last point is also probably what the agent was thinking of when they told you your husband might clear but no sooner than 24 hours. However I am skeptical that you can simultaneously apply (1) & (4) as a workaround to (3). A GA might do it for you as a favor but it runs counter to my interpretation of the rules.
Regardless of if on 1 PNR or separate, you get only 1 companion upgrade.
Old Jun 24, 18, 7:07 am

Programs: Delta Diamond + 1MM, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Paying up to first on award ticket

If you pay up to First Class on Economy award ticket does anyone know what class this rebooks into? Are MQMs/RDMs awarded for the upgraded segments?
Old Jun 24, 18, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FLL-FFLYER View Post
If you pay up to First Class on Economy award ticket does anyone know what class this rebooks into? Are MQMs/RDMs awarded for the upgraded segments?
You get MQD for the cost but no RDM or MQM since its an award ticket.
Old Sep 27, 18, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta Sky Miles Silver, United Mileage Plus Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for the info and following back up on what happened. My son and I were upgraded to first and luckily we were on a sold out flight to Orlando so I asked the gate agent if there was space to upgrade my husband also and they did it, I think because they wanted his seat as they had numerous families wanting to sit together that I assume had purchased basic economy.
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:10 am

Programs: DL-Silver, Marriott-Life Plat, IHG-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Paid upgrade on award ticket, MQM?

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
You get MQD for the cost but no RDM or MQM since its an award ticket.
Does anyone have a recent data point on this? My wife is on an upcoming companion ticket and getting MQMs for a paid upgrade would be an incentive.
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by milesrunner View Post
Does anyone have a recent data point on this? My wife is on an upcoming companion ticket and getting MQMs for a paid upgrade would be an incentive.
Do you mean an Amex card companion ticket? This is not an award ticket (award tickets are tickets purchased with miles). For Amex companion certificate tickets, only the primary passenger, not the companion, earns any MQMs or RDMs. Upgrades to C+ or F should earn MQDs, but I'm not sure how it would credit (all to the primary pax or would the upgrade MQD's credit to both).
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: DL-Silver, Marriott-Life Plat, IHG-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
Do you mean an Amex card companion ticket? This is not an award ticket (award tickets are tickets purchased with miles). For Amex companion certificate tickets, only the primary passenger, not the companion, earns any MQMs or RDMs. Upgrades to C+ or F should earn MQDs, but I'm not sure how it would credit (all to the primary pax or would the upgrade MQD's credit to both).
Yes, Amex Plat Delta Card companion. Delta could just consider it a a paid ticket after buying an upgrade with dollars, but I guess they don't. Just wondering if anybody has posted any MQMs in this situation.
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by milesrunner View Post
Yes, Amex Plat Delta Card companion. Delta could just consider it a a paid ticket after buying an upgrade with dollars, but I guess they don't. Just wondering if anybody has posted any MQMs in this situation.
The problem is that the companion is still not paying for the underlying fare, just for a seat upgrade. On the other hand, in this case, the primary pax would earn an MQM bonus if they paid to upgrade to F.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: