Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skipped last segment of DL ticket due to delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipped last segment of DL ticket due to delay

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I would think there would be an underlying fare for each segment, so no need to pro-rate, right?
Not necessarily. One fare basis can have travel on multiple segments. An RTW is a single fare basis with up to 16 or 20 segments, right?
Old May 2, 2018, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL's COC only matters to calculate the refund. EC 261/2004 applies because the operating carrier was an EU carrier. Marketing/plating carrier is irrelevant to compensation.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I would think there would be an underlying fare for each segment, so no need to pro-rate, right?
No, they construct fares and deconstruct them differently. It is prorated only on distance....which sucks if the final skipped leg is very short vs. the overall trip, which is usually the case.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not normally, unless it is a constructed fare, which is multiple individual fares put together. Thats normally only common on unusual/complicated itineraries. For this particular city pair, TUN-AAL, AF does actually have published fares, although DL does not, but frankly Im confused how you bought it through DL. I imagine none of the segments had a DL flight number (since there were no DL segments, thats usually the only way to book a codeshare except for some JV routes I believe), and I didnt know DL could issue a ticket with AF fares, but maybe thats what happened.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Not normally, unless it is a constructed fare, which is multiple individual fares put together. Thats normally only common on unusual/complicated itineraries. For this particular city pair, TUN-AAL, AF does actually have published fares, although DL does not, but frankly Im confused how you bought it through DL. I imagine none of the segments had a DL flight number (since there were no DL segments, thats usually the only way to book a codeshare except for some JV routes I believe), and I didnt know DL could issue a ticket with AF fares, but maybe thats what happened.
Of course DL can sell a ticket with AF fares. How do you think they handle US customers for AF? DL can't issue a ticket on AF stock. They can only issue 006 stock.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well aren’t you smart.
I usually buy my AF tickets from AF, but whatever.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Well arent you smart.
I usually buy my AF tickets from AF, but whatever.
Sorry to tick you off. I was simply replying to your confusion about DL issuing an AF fare ticket.

My point is that in the US, DL is AF basically.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:08 pm

For everyone mentioning EU 261 compensation, that is only applicable if the delay was not weather related, correct? If the delay was due to weather then the only thing the airline has to provide is duty of care (lodging)?
Old May 2, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
For everyone mentioning EU 261 compensation, that is only applicable if the delay was not weather related, correct? If the delay was due to weather then the only thing the airline has to provide is duty of care (lodging)?
There's more to it than weather. It's if the delay was within the airlines control or not. However, even if it's is not within the airlines control, then yes they still must provide duty of care. A call, email or text, and if appropriate meals and hotel.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
DL can issue tickets with a lot of SkyTeam fares, even if DL flights are not involved. And yes, what flyerCO mentioned is true, the ticket is on 006 stock.

In this case, AF had delays in getting bags on the aircraft, then they lost their take off slot, which delayed the aircraft even more.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 applies. Whether cancellation compensation is due will depend on whether the carrier can prove that the delay was due to an "extraordinary circumstance" which might include weather.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Delay in loading up baggage can hardly be considered extraordinary circumstances.

So it seems I am entitled to some compensation and refund and shouldnt risk the ticket getting repriced. 400 should be the amount per EC 261, if I understood correctly.

If anyone has any insight on how best to deal with this, it would definitely be appreciated.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by B0gdan
Delay in loading up baggage can hardly be considered extraordinary circumstances.

So it seems I am entitled to some compensation and refund and shouldnt risk the ticket getting repriced. 400 should be the amount per EC 261, if I understood correctly.

If anyone has any insight on how best to deal with this, it would definitely be appreciated.
The issue is you skipped the last leg. This means you get zero compensation. As noted above EU261 is based on actuals.
UKtravelbear likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The issue is you skipped the last leg. This means you get zero compensation. As noted above EU261 is based on actuals.
and the OP was told that up thread.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO

Zero comp for EU but possible that the delayed carrier could issue a credit of some type if asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.