Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta A350 vs. A330-200/300

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Delta A350 vs. A330-200/300

My DW, DS and I are flying from Amsterdam to Italy this summer. We have decided to stop over in Amsterdam for a couple of days before going to Italy.

I am a rather large man at 6'4", 290 lbs. My wife is 5'5" and son is 5'6" both under 150 lbs.

We are planning on flying First Class from DTW to AMS. Our choices of planes for the same price are the A350, A330-300 and A330-200. All of the flight times work for us.

I have read the reviews of all of these planes and I am leaning to the A350. Please let me know your thoughts.

We are flying home from Italy on Air France, Premium Economy seating.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by flannbarr
My DW, DS and I are flying from Amsterdam to Italy this summer. We have decided to stop over in Amsterdam for a couple of days before going to Italy.

I am a rather large man at 6'4", 290 lbs. My wife is 5'5" and son is 5'6" both under 150 lbs.

We are planning on flying First Class from DTW to AMS. Our choices of planes for the same price are the A350, A330-300 and A330-200. All of the flight times work for us.

I have read the reviews of all of these planes and I am leaning to the A350. Please let me know your thoughts.

If you are planning on flying in Delta One, do NOT take the 350 because of height. I am 6'4" also and I physically cannot recline the seat the into a bed. My knees hit the top of the foot well and I can't recline the seat any further. I've tried reclining the seat and then getting into it in bed mode and can't do that either. I'm also too big to be able to rotate onto my side because I can't fit both feet on top of each other in the foot well. I also find the D1 suites on the 350 to be rather claustrophobic given my size. I have none of these problems on the 330, so I would go that way personally. People who are smaller than I am seem to love the 350 though so I suspect your wife and son would be very happy on it. Just my 2 cents.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat

I'm about your size -- and have flown both the 330 and 350 in D1.
With the caveat -- I don't ever fully recline the seat and go flat -- I just don't sleep that well when flying and a partial recline allows me to nap.
I really liked my 350 experience last January. I didn't close the door, but the storage space, the screen size, the relative quiet of the airplane were all very nice.
Nothing wrong with the 330 though.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I've never been on the A350, but I love the A330 seats. I'm 6'4" (only 200 pounds though) and they are one of the few J seats I've flown that I feel I really fit in. From what I've read about the A350, the seats are a bit smaller. If you need space, go with the A330 - don't fall for the marketing hype of the A350. As I said though, never flown the A350, so others may contradict me.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernal
I've never been on the A350, but I love the A330 seats. I'm 6'4" (only 200 pounds though) and they are one of the few J seats I've flown that I feel I really fit in. From what I've read about the A350, the seats are a bit smaller. If you need space, go with the A330 - don't fall for the marketing hype of the A350. As I said though, never flown the A350, so others may contradict me.
The websites that show seat specs have the A350 slightly wider than the A330. So confusing.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Is it just me, or is everyone on flyer talk 6' 4"?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12
Is it just me, or is everyone on flyer talk 6' 4"?
"YOU MUST BE AT LEAST THIS TALL TO JOIN FLYERTALK"

(I'm not, guess they missed me )
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The websites that show seat specs have the A350 slightly wider than the A330. So confusing.
Seat width is typically measured in between the armrest. I imagine that to the extent the A350 is considered narrower (I don’t know personally) it would be because of the suite door and the related impact on shoulder space. For better or worse there’s a lot more to seat comfort than the pitch and width measurements.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon

Seat width is typically measured in between the armrest. I imagine that to the extent the A350 is considered narrower (I don’t know personally) it would be because of the suite door and the related impact on shoulder space. For better or worse there’s a lot more to seat comfort than the pitch and width measurements.
I appreciate your comments. I am leaning toward the A350 Delta One to Italy.

I am probably changing my return flight from AF Premium Economy to Delta Comfort+ on the A330-300. The consistently negative comments about AF Premium Economy have made me think twice. The return flight on the A350 is at 6am which is why I am looking at flying the A330 home. The price to fly Delta One home on the A330 is over $1,000 more per person compared to Comfort+ and it is a day flight so I don't see that to be worth the money.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I appreciate your comments. I am leaning toward the A350 Delta One to Italy.

I am probably changing my return flight from AF Premium Economy to Delta Comfort+ on the A330-300. The consistently negative comments about AF Premium Economy have made me think twice. The return flight on the A350 is at 6am which is why I am looking at flying the A330 home. The price to fly Delta One home on the A330 is over $1,000 more per person compared to Comfort+ and it is a day flight so I don't see that to be worth the money.
If AF PE is the same price as DL C+, you should take that -it's a real PE rather than glorified coach (strike risk aside... )
Alphazone likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I understand the negative comments about AF PE and it is by no means a great PE product. That being said, it is definitely better than C+, IMO.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernal
If AF PE is the same price as DL C+, you should take that -it's a real PE rather than glorified coach (strike risk aside... )
I have read many comments that the AF PE seats do not recline but rather the lower part of the seat moves forward causing a slouching or similar. Yes, the price is similar to the DL C+.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:05 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I have read many comments that the AF PE seats do not recline but rather the lower part of the seat moves forward causing a slouching or similar. Yes, the price is similar to the DL C+.
I get that some people don't like the way the AF PE seats recline, but they're still better than coach seats, and for a westbound daytime flight, they are a TON better than coach seats.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
I get that some people don't like the way the AF PE seats recline, but they're still better than coach seats, and for a westbound daytime flight, they are a TON better than coach seats.
A ton better than Delta C+?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:13 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
A ton better than Delta C+?
Yes. The seats are wider, there is a ton of pitch.
NOLAnwGOLD and Alphazone like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.