Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Checkin and Baggage Question

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Follow up to close it out.

There where 7 us and 10 bags to check with two declared firearms. We went to sky priority lane. Was asked numerous times if we where on same reservation which I replied no because we can’t as we are in different cabins. Said we had to pay for bags which I told her I didn’t think we did. She said okay then said everyone gets one I said I though I got three and they got two. Finally she took them all no charge so I guess it was a success though it took 35 minutes to basically drop bags which seemed pretty long. Someone next to us had flight issue so he tied up a lane for 45 minutes. They only had three sky priority people so it backed up.

She was confused on the gun bag which was a pelican case full of camera lenses, radios, and binoculars. In the case was a steel locked box with the gun. Ammo was in a retail box. She said I had to lock the pelican case at 4 points. I told her I would lock it at 2 points with tsa locks but it was not required. Said I needed the ammo in lock box which is wrong.

Then told to hang out 10 minutes in case an issue from tsa on the handguns. That was not a very clear process it was hang out and check with me later. I waited about 10 mins and just left. I have done the firearm checked bag thing a dozen times and never had issues.

Having fun fun at Yellowstone. Will try this again in slc on Sat.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Jon_R

There where 7 us and 10 bags to check with two declared firearms. We went to sky priority lane. Was asked numerous times if we where on same reservation which I replied no because we can’t as we are in different cabins. Said we had to pay for bags which I told her I didn’t think we did. She said okay then said everyone gets one I said I though I got three and they got two. Finally she took them all no charge so I guess it was a success though it took 35 minutes to basically drop bags which seemed pretty long. Someone next to us had flight issue so he tied up a lane for 45 minutes. They only had three sky priority people so it backed up.

She was confused on the gun bag which was a pelican case full of camera lenses, radios, and binoculars. In the case was a steel locked box with the gun. Ammo was in a retail box. She said I had to lock the pelican case at 4 points. I told her I would lock it at 2 points with tsa locks but it was not required. Said I needed the ammo in lock box which is wrong.

Then told to hang out 10 minutes in case an issue from tsa on the handguns. That was not a very clear process it was hang out and check with me later. I waited about 10 mins and just left. I have done the firearm checked bag thing a dozen times and never had issues.

Thanks for the update and glad it all worked out. I thought Widgets had posted that DL had an internal policy to allow a waiver for MEDALLIONS for up to 8 passengers on a separate itinerary. This is different from the DL Amex policy that some others had been quoting.

OP - to save hassle I would ask an agent or Supervisor to manually cross link your PNRs and also leave notes that you all could not be booked on 1 PNR, and ask the check in agent do their best to honor your baggage allowance across both PNRs. I am certain with similar language in your PNR any check in agent would apply the waivers instantly. It's otherwise silly for them to want you to PAY for FC but then try to use your paid upgrade against your companions for bags.

You are correct on what you noted about firearms. The times I have done it, I had to walk the bag myself over to a special TSA area - where I could watch it be inspected - and when finished, TSA put a sticker on it and gave it to a Porter to who placed it on a baggage cart and said he would take it from there. I would hope most airports have a similar setup for transparency, and also efficiency as TSA is the one that could have issues with the bag; no need to unnecessarily check status with a DL counter agent.

What station was this at, by the way? Did you check in at SLC for your outbound?
Old May 26, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM

This agent checked in seven people and ten bags, including two firearm cases, on two different reservations and waived the normal baggage fees for five of those people, but you think it took her too long?
Often1 likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No good deed goes unpunished.

Depending on how one calculates it, the agent gave OP a $150-200 break.

Anyone senior at DL who happens to bother to read this thread would likely send it off as a model for what not to do in training. No brand benefit to DL and a revenue loss on top of it !
Old May 26, 2018, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

This agent checked in seven people and ten bags, including two firearm cases, on two different reservations and waived the normal baggage fees for five of those people, but you think it took her too long?
I don’t know if it is to long. We where checked in already. Was 7 people bag drop in 30 minutes. Is 14 people an hour per agent what delta plans on?
Old May 26, 2018, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Thanks for the update and glad it all worked out. I thought Widgets had posted that DL had an internal policy to allow a waiver for MEDALLIONS for up to 8 passengers on a separate itinerary. This is different from the DL Amex policy that some others had been quoting.

OP - to save hassle I would ask an agent or Supervisor to manually cross link your PNRs and also leave notes that you all could not be booked on 1 PNR, and ask the check in agent do their best to honor your baggage allowance across both PNRs. I am certain with similar language in your PNR any check in agent would apply the waivers instantly. It's otherwise silly for them to want you to PAY for FC but then try to use your paid upgrade against your companions for bags.

You are correct on what you noted about firearms. The times I have done it, I had to walk the bag myself over to a special TSA area - where I could watch it be inspected - and when finished, TSA put a sticker on it and gave it to a Porter to who placed it on a baggage cart and said he would take it from there. I would hope most airports have a similar setup for transparency, and also efficiency as TSA is the one that could have issues with the bag; no need to unnecessarily check status with a DL counter agent.

What station was this at, by the way? Did you check in at SLC for your outbound?
I had them all linked when I called the delta gold desk to change them all. Delta had pushed our return back 6 hours to a red eye so we changed out of the direct to go back through Atlanta. There will be 12 of us on the return flight.

we where leaving out of Orlando on a Friday early afternoon. In the past the firearm procedure for Orlando was the agent walks you to tsa they scan it on the spot and give you a thumbs up. The procedure last week was the agent does their part and they toss it on the belt behind them same as any other bag and away it goes to tsa world.

We leave out out of slc a week from today for the return. Will see how it goes and any difference in procedures. Two years ago last time I flew out of slc they had me take the bag to a tsa agent who hand inspected the entire thing. Took everything out and swabbed it. Hopefully not looking for gun powder residue.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
No good deed goes unpunished.

Depending on how one calculates it, the agent gave OP a $150-200 break.

Anyone senior at DL who happens to bother to read this thread would likely send it off as a model for what not to do in training. No brand benefit to DL and a revenue loss on top of it !
Also depending how you look at it my status provides me benifets. If the policy / procedure is to grant me and my party bag allowance, which the gold desk said is the case, I got what delta says is part of my benifets. Not sure I would call that a break. Was the meal I was served on my FC ticket also a break? Depends how you look at it I guess.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:16 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The policy provides checked bag fee waivers to up to 8 people on your reservation. You had 1 companion on your reservation.

The fact that the others' PNR was linked to your PNR isn't the same thing. You got a break. This isn't a "depends on how you look at it" situation.
CarmenOM and flyerCO like this.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Okay then the gold desk assumed I would get the break as they told me what to do in order to receive the benefit. It is what it is. If they want to charge then on the way back so be it.
​​​​
Originally Posted by pvn
The policy provides checked bag fee waivers to up to 8 people on your reservation. You had 1 companion on your reservation.

The fact that the others' PNR was linked to your PNR isn't the same thing. You got a break. This isn't a "depends on how you look at it" situation.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Also depending how you look at it my status provides me benifets. If the policy / procedure is to grant me and my party bag allowance, which the gold desk said is the case, I got what delta says is part of my benifets. Not sure I would call that a break. Was the meal I was served on my FC ticket also a break? Depends how you look at it I guess.
Except your status doesn't provide the benefits you sought. As pvn noted you're limited to 8 on the same PNR.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:01 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I mean, it's very likely you will get the bag fees waived. It's probably one of the most-frequently bent rules. Just don't start thinking it's one of "your" benefits that you're entitled to.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
I mean, it's very likely you will get the bag fees waived. It's probably one of the most-frequently bent rules. Just don't start thinking it's one of "your" benefits that you're entitled to.
Is there a correct way to buy 2 F and 5 Y tickets? So I do it correctly next time.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Is there a correct way to buy 2 F and 5 Y tickets? So I do it correctly next time.
Can't be done on one PNR. All passengers must be flying exactly the same fare class.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:57 am

Edit: saw you’ll be at SLC. I’m curious how they’ll handle the bag waivers.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
You could always have one of the medallions buy F and the other Y, and one of the non-medallions buy F, then swap seats on the plane. That way, everybody is in a PNR with a medallion. Only problem is the wrong person gets the bonus miles for F. Otoh, medallion might get a free upgrade so the group has an extra person in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.