Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do I complain? NRSA caused a delay, whos at fault?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres

So my flight yesterday MSP-MCI was delayed nearly an hour due to the pax counts being off. Multiple announcements, recounts, reconnected the jet-bridge and had GAs come on board to assist. Eventually after 40ish min they found out a non-rev had boarded and not scanned their pass. Apologies were offered but no explanation (only reason i know what was going on is he was sitting right behind me and I overheard it all). We were wheels up about 1 hour after our original departure (for a flight that usually only takes 1 hour....).

Im debating complaining, since clearly the GA somehow missed an entire person just walking onto the plane, and the non-rev should really have known how the boarding process works....but I'm not sure who's fault this would be considered and if its even worth it? GA for missing or pax for slipping past?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's DL's fault and not for you to assess within DL who is responsible. Perhaps some IT hardware procurement person for purchasing gate readers which missed a scan?

Either way, I would simply send DL a note pointing to the 40-minute delay to rectify a head count issue on a smallish (320/319/-900/717) aircraft.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:34 am

It could have just as easily happened with a regular passenger. From my understanding it's surprising the number of people who somehow are able to board the wrong plane....but I suppose it's almost equally surprising it doesn't happen more often considering the millions of boardings every year combined with the plethora of languages people speak who get on DL flights every year
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM
Why on earth would you complain? Delays happen for a variety of reasons. I can hardly recall a flight where the gate agent doesn't come aboard and ask passenger xxx to ring their call button if they are onboard. The fact is was a non-rev is COMPLETELY irrelevant in this situation. If you can suck up an hour delay, you probably shouldn't be flying.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:10 am

This sounds like an issue with the computer that caused the delay, most likely they had to gate check their bag, however the passenger was never scanned on the plane.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: none
The delay was due to Delta. If you're so inclined, complain as much as you want. You should expect at least a generic "We're sorry" letter. Maybe they will throw some valuable miles your way.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
The only time this is worth a complaint IMO is if this causes a mis-connection that causes you to spend the night away from your final destination.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Only if the NRSA was in F
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
This could happen for a myriad of reasons and the fact it was a non-rev is pretty irrelevant. Either way, the boarding pass didn't get scanned for whatever reason, so it's not really any particular persons fault. Complaining isn't going to do any good.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saxman66
This could happen for a myriad of reasons and the fact it was a non-rev is pretty irrelevant. Either way, the boarding pass didn't get scanned for whatever reason, so it's not really any particular persons fault. Complaining isn't going to do any good.
Well, IMO the GA should be responsible for ensuring that every passenger that walks onto the jetway has scanned a boarding pass and the scan registers (I think it shows the pax name/seat on the screen). But alas there are examples of pax boarding the wrong flight or even stowaway pax getting on board (IIRC a little kid has done it, and a woman from Chicago I think has done it multple times). So it's not failsafe, but that doesn't absolve DL or the GA of responsibility IMO.

One might also think a non-rev employee would have heightened responsibility for ensuring the same (as opposed to a regular passenger), but not all non-revs are employees.

And lastly, if the BP scanner beeped and recognized the passenger, but it still didn't register in the system or on the manifest, well, then it's a DL IT issue.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Mistakes happen, and Delta is clearly aware that this happened.

What I don't understand is why it took so long to figure out. If the count was off, they should have been able to announce names of PAX who were checked in but not boarded. Was this nonrev somehow not checked in? Are there situations where non-rev pax can just walk up to a flight and not first be checked in?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:52 pm

You have every right to complain. As others have mentioned, leave the NRSA out of the complaint. The problem is that Delta should be able to keep track of how many, and who, is on their planes. If there is a headcount issue, it should NOT take an HOUR to fix the problem! Of course someone within Delta knows this happened, but without customer complaints it becomes too easy to down play the problem.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
I'm curious as to how they found out.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Only if the NRSA was in F
And if they stole your banana....
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
The delay was due to Delta. If you're so inclined, complain as much as you want. You should expect at least a generic "We're sorry" letter. Maybe they will throw some valuable miles your way.
I have not seen “valuable” miles in the SkyMiles program in over a decade now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.